Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear thru bolt axle on my Scott 710

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-20, 12:14 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts

I broke the adjuster lever on my Scott Scale 710 rear axle and popped onto ebay and figured I'll buy one and all will be good.

Turns out I don't know crap about axles. (what else is new?) I got a DT Swiss, right length and diameter but the threads are course and my out going axle is fine thread.

I am unable to locate any thread info on the bike except that the threaded end on the DR hanger says A-RWS12. I have the 27.5 plus wheels with boost rims.

Any information appreciated, thanks all!
Old 03-18-20, 12:31 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
I wonder what the people at Scott might say.
Old 03-18-20, 02:52 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 798 Times in 475 Posts
There are three possible thread pitches for a 12mm thru axle. 1mm, 1.5mm and 1.75mm, with 1mm being the finest thread. Perhaps you could take it to a shop or hardware store to check the thread pitch on your original.
Old 03-18-20, 04:07 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Thanks for that. I am in a technical business and my shop is well equipped so I have thread gauges and it measures 1mm pitch axle.

I don't understand what motivates a triple thread choice though. I bought the DT Swiss Boost sized axle that is 1.75mm thread, pulled the axle from my disk Domane to find that is 1.5mm thread and my Scott 710 27.5 boost is 1mm thread.....why? There must be some reason but I'll bet there isn't. To add to this there are no markings on any of the axles to tell you what it is. I messaged the guy I bought the DT axle from (now he sells these things) and the response was "I'm sorry but I can't help you with that" , in all fairness it is my problem for not knowing what I was buying but I would think some light could have been shed by the vendor that sells them.

Oh and the suggestion to contact the "people at Scott", not as easy as it sounds I found.

I'm thinking its just us BF guys out here

Now I'm ready to find a new set of MTB axles, I do know you buy the front axle by the maker of the front suspension.

OK, rant officially over!