Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Grease for Silca Pista Leather Cup

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-22-14, 08:05 AM
tjkoko

Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

What's the recommended grease for the leather cup to the Silca Pista? Someone mentioned Proofhide, another recommends silicone grease, and another recommends white grease which I assume is Lubriplate.
Old 07-22-14, 08:10 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by tjkoko
What's the recommended grease for the leather cup to the Silca Pista? Someone mentioned Proofhide, another recommends silicone grease, and another recommends white grease which I assume is Lubriplate.
I've used whatever bearing grease was on the workbench since my three (one Pista & 2 frame) were new in the '70's, works fine.
Like the old Brylcream commercial said: "Just a dab will do ya."

-Bandera
Likes For Bandera:
Old 07-22-14, 08:35 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Don't use proofhide. It's designed to penetrate and soften leather, and can lead to the breakdown of the piston.

You don't need anything special, and aren't trying to grease or soften the leather, just provide some lubrication where the leather slides against the cylinder. If you want a specific product, buy waterpump grease (sold in rural areas) which is impervious to water and won't hurt leather or rubber. But you don't need to do that. I add one drop (no more) of olive oil (it's an Italian pump) and pump and spin the piston to spread it around the cylinder wall. That's good for a few years.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 07-22-14, 08:37 AM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Technically the silicone grease would be best. Petroleum based greases break down the leather over time. Even neatsfoot oil damages the leather even though it is the traditional treatment.
But I don't really think it matters. People have been pouring oil in the top of pumps for hundreds of years.
Old 07-22-14, 09:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
@FBinNY once again comes in with advice that's both on-the-money and funny.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-22-14, 09:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I've used leather boot grease .. pump still works, 30 years On.

Ditto the Medai .. for s/v tubes

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-22-14 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-22-14, 10:53 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I've been squirting engine oil in my Medai Top Super pump and my Coleman lantern for about forty years.

Pump oil (Jobst Brandt)
Old 07-22-14, 11:05 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I've been squirting engine oil in my Medai Top Super pump and my Coleman lantern for about forty years.

Pump oil (Jobst Brandt)
I miss Jobst.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-22-14, 11:17 AM
tjkoko

Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Don't use proofhide. It's designed to penetrate and soften leather, and can lead to the breakdown of the piston.

You don't need anything special, and aren't trying to grease or soften the leather, just provide some lubrication where the leather slides against the cylinder.... I add one drop (no more) of olive oil (it's an Italian pump) and pump and spin the piston to spread it around the cylinder wall. That's good for a few years.
Natural (food) oils like olive and peanut oils contain acids hence their rancidity upon exposure to air. It it acid that breaks down leather??? Does Proofhide contain acids, too???

But I spread some regular olive oil from Wallys onto the leather washer for the first time ever since I've first purchased it in 2004. The washer wasn't dried out to begin with but I'll bet with the new application of oil, it'll provide a tad better seal.

Last edited by tjkoko; 07-22-14 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-19-20, 12:09 AM
bikeman68

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I cleaned the old oil and grease out (nearly all of it) of my mid 80's Silca Floor pump leather cup using ajax dish soap with toothbrush. So now that its pretty dry and suede like agian, what would be a good conditioner that will not weaken the leather? MIneral oil? 3 in one oil? Or just use vaseline? I have idea leaving it dry and just lubing outside rim would leave it prone to tearing apart when in use?
Old 03-19-20, 12:30 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 82 Posts
Corn oil lasts a long time. Might have to soak it if your leather is dry.
Old 03-19-20, 05:41 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Silca Pump Oil
Likes For RGMN:
Old 03-19-20, 05:48 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
This is much like the "what chain lube is best" threads that we all dread. That some sort of oil like substance is used and the washer is revisited periodically will be so much better then the majority of pump washers lives. I use whatever grease/oil is handy, often Park or Phil as they live on my bench. Andy
Old 03-19-20, 08:28 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 835 Times in 363 Posts
I've read somewhere not to use any petroleum based lubes in/on pumps. I bought my Silca floor pump in the early 80s. I've used it at least once a week. I use Neatsfoot oil on the cup and I don't ever remember replacing it. I know I had to clean out the check valve once.
Old 03-19-20, 08:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by gearbasher
I've read somewhere not to use any petroleum based lubes in/on pumps. I bought my Silca floor pump in the early 80s. I've used it at least once a week. I use Neatsfoot oil on the cup and I don't ever remember replacing it. I know I had to clean out the check valve once.
This! The check valve is, perhaps, one of the most neglected aspects of inflation. Grime and corrosion are the issues. Of course with Presta valves one has another check valve in the inflation system. Not so with SV. Andy
Old 03-20-20, 12:24 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Many thanks for that link. A mystery solved. I have a bottle of that, but the label had worn off from rolling in the bike toolbox. I thought it was airgun oil. But that is definitely it!
Old 03-20-20, 08:26 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
This! The check valve is, perhaps, one of the most neglected aspects of inflation. Grime and corrosion are the issues. Of course with Presta valves one has another check valve in the inflation system. Not so with SV. Andy
check Valve? Wheres that located. I to have a Silca from the 80s. Thanks KB
Old 03-20-20, 09:03 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
check Valve? Wheres that located. I to have a Silca from the 80s. Thanks KB
At the base of the piston.
Old 03-20-20, 04:35 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
At the base of the piston.
The piston , being the leather cup ?? Or down in the tube, I'm trying to visualise. I'll take a look. Than you for the help. KB

Edit:I see a large nut, on the brass fitting, that the pressure gauge is attached, I'm I getting close ? KB

Last edited by kcblair; 03-20-20 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-20-20, 04:43 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

At the base of the cylinder. Between the interior and the hose connection. Without a functioning check valve and when attaching to a SV the air in the tube would try to push the pump piston/handle up, no added pressured air would stay in the tube. Andy
Old 03-20-20, 04:54 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

At the base of the cylinder. Between the interior and the hose connection. Without a functioning check valve and when attaching to a SV the air in the tube would try to push the pump piston/handle up, no added pressured air would stay in the tube. Andy
Thanks Andy, now I see it. I remove the brass fitting that the hose is attached, Now, what or how do I clean it ? Thanks. KB
Old 03-20-20, 08:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

If the check valve is clean then Bob's your uncle. If dirty with grime clean off with grime cutter (solvent?) If rusty try removing the rust, fine steel wool perhaps. Some will have a ball "bearing" on a spring and this spring can break or otherwise become non functioning. Some can be a molded bit of plastic and the back pressure of the tire closes it against it's seat.

Is there a problem with your pump? Or are you trying to just understand it? Andy
Old 03-21-20, 06:29 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

If the check valve is clean then Bob's your uncle. If dirty with grime clean off with grime cutter (solvent?) If rusty try removing the rust, fine steel wool perhaps. Some will have a ball "bearing" on a spring and this spring can break or otherwise become non functioning. Some can be a molded bit of plastic and the back pressure of the tire closes it against it's seat.

Is there a problem with your pump? Or are you trying to just understand it? Andy
Thanks Andy. Pump works fine , as I only use it for PV. This thread caught my interest. Several years ago , I replaced the leather cup and rubber washer in the brass head. got some spares parts, before my LBS closed.

So, should I just leave it alone ? Than You. KB
Old 03-21-20, 08:58 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

As others say "don't fix a running bike". I say leave the check valve alone if there's no problem. Andy
Old 03-21-20, 09:20 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

As others say "don't fix a running bike". I say leave the check valve alone if there's no problem. Andy
Thank you, Andy. I'll leave it alone . KB

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.