Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Looking for a 29er "Adventure" Bike

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-20, 03:57 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts

I like my Giant Toughroad GX but I feel like the tire clearance in the frame is limiting for me. I would ideally like a rigid 29er that has a sporty "XC" feel to it, rigid fork, dropper post compatible, and either running a wide drop bar with a short stem (eg: Evil Chamois Hagar) or an alt bar (eg: Jones Bar).

If I go with the former, my idea would be finding a frame that can take all the parts from my Toughroad, which has QR wheels and a Deore XT crank with a 36t Oval ring. This might be hard as I don't know if there are any frame options available outside of touring-style frames. However, I would prefer to go this rout for the sake of maintaining as many parts as possible.

If this is not possible I was thinking of finding a hardtail "XC" frame and a rigid fork. My issue is that I would want something with a low-ish BB for MTB standards (~60mm drop) and I would want the bike to be able to fit a 36t Oval ring. In terms of tire clearance, I want the bike to clear 29 x 2.2 (and 27.5 x 2.4-2.6 would be nice). I really don't care about having mounting for mudguards/racks/etc.
Old 12-31-20, 05:41 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I don't usually do this, but there was a recent thread about gravel bikes with bigger tires. Although I take it you want upright bars, which might be a stretch
https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...n-t-exist.html

I never liked the idea of a suspension corrected fork on a bike that was never going to get a suspension fork. So that's the main problem I have with converting a mtb
Old 12-31-20, 06:39 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I don't usually do this, but there was a recent thread about gravel bikes with bigger tires. Although I take it you want upright bars, which might be a stretch
https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...n-t-exist.html
I actually want a drop-bar 29er bike, I just don’t want to spend $3000 for something like a Salsa Cutthroat. I thought it would be more cost effective to find a well priced frame and fork, maybe something older from the past few years. I thought I’d throw the idea out there but I’m guessing since it’s very specific that I would ultimately end up paying a premium for it.
Old 12-31-20, 08:07 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by DarKris
I actually want a drop-bar 29er bike, I just don’t want to spend $3000 for something like a Salsa Cutthroat. I thought it would be more cost effective to find a well priced frame and fork, maybe something older from the past few years. I thought I’d throw the idea out there but I’m guessing since it’s very specific that I would ultimately end up paying a premium for it.
I recommend that you check out the Path Less Pedaled youtube channel. Much gravel bike reviews, discussion, ride reports. Off the top of my head, I remember seeing a recent review of a sub $1000 gravel bike by Poseidon, and another one I can't remember. It might give you some options you don't know about.
Old 12-31-20, 08:33 PM
DarKris

I actually watch quite a bit of him and the Alternative Cycling crew. I was really interested in the Redwood, however the geometry was a little too “tucked” in the front end. If it had a longer top tube and lower seat tube/stand over I think it would be a good fit for me.

I’m very tempted to go with a Salsa Journeyman flat bar since I can swap out everything from the Toughroad to it. I got the idea from a video on the Evil Chamois Hagar - which is I bike I like the idea of. The guy brought up the idea of taking a Flat bar Journeyman and adding drops to it, and since the tire clearance is similar it should work be fine.

I did want to see if I could find a frame with larger tire clearance though. I feel like I would have more 29 x 2.2 options available as opposed to limiting myself to 2.0/50mm. Plus more room for mud clearance
Old 12-31-20, 09:54 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
The Journeyman frame (if you can find one) might be the most affordable option. There ae great options like Cutthroat, Bombtrack Beyond 1 and Open W.I,D.E. but it sounds like these may be out of your budget unless you find a used one.

Last edited by dwmckee; 12-31-20 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-01-21, 01:13 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Mosso (Taiwan) has a few 60mm bbdrop qr 29er/27.5 mtb frames in carbon and various alu blends (frame weights). Chainstay around 430-425mm.
Had a quick look at prices; not bad for alu options or carbon.
Seems any of the alu frames with 'Pro' in the name are the lightest (triple-butted all tubes). Around 1300gm.

They also do one or two qr carbon-blade forks to suit 29er/27.5.

Trigon (Taiwan also) has a wider range of qr full-carbon mtb forks.

Frame + fork pricing should be pretty good.

Frame and fork geo online.

I do know the old fairly-light 3T Luteus fork (qr version) clears a 29x2.2" with a little over a cm on either side. Also takes a 27.5x2.6+.
Trying to get my hands on a secondhand one myself. Just missed out on a local, recently.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 01-01-21 at 01:31 AM. Reason: txt
Old 01-01-21, 05:47 PM
pattrick

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
possibly Kona Unit?

https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespe...a-unit-ss.html . $599.00 frame ,fork and through axels. Link is there to give you an example. I believe it will except 2.8 x29"

Last edited by pattrick; 01-01-21 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-01-21, 07:57 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Have you looked into a Flaanimal yet?
Old 01-02-21, 12:24 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Beyond 1, Bombtrack
Or Salsa Fargo?
Old 01-02-21, 12:38 PM
DarKris

https://www.konaworld.com/sutra_ultd.cfm found this. Think if I save it could work out. Has the geo, tire clearance, and dropper post. Only changes I’d probably make would be the oval ring and wider drops if the ones that come with the bike aren’t as big.

Another option: https://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes/a...ar/radar-x-pro. I’d have to add an external dropper.

I think my mindset is shifting to finding a fully featured bike at this point. Alternatively I could try my hands at a Chinese carbon fiber mtb frame set. Seems like plenty of those are available with qr frames and forks

Last edited by DarKris; 01-02-21 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-02-21, 01:49 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
I've been the last two days shopping the same thing. The Kona Sutra ULTD was one consideration, my conversation with two different dealers didn't give me a lot of hope on that front. The Salsa Fargo is another that I was considering, but I just fired off an email to Milwaukee cycles, I started looking at them when I was considering a new cross bike. Their site is down, apparently they were upgrading and hit some snags. But high end steel like 853 and OX platinum framesets are sweet for not bad pricing, just don't have geometry charts to look st atm.
Old 01-02-21, 03:05 PM
DarKris

Also found this: https://www.vandesselcycles.com/bike...el/straight-up. Says it fits a 29 x 2.1, Could run stock and change the bars to Alt bars.

Other Drop Bar options: https://www.vandesselcycles.com/bike...-tango-foxtrot, https://www.vandesselcycles.com/bike...untry-road-bob, https://www.vandesselcycles.com/bikes/gravel/day-ripper

I kept looking for more Chinese carbon frames and found this one also: https://trifoxbike.com/products/mft2...32088380309583. I think I might go for this as I can take my components from my Toughroad and use them on this frame.

Last edited by DarKris; 01-03-21 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-04-21, 08:33 AM
DarKris

So I found something a lot more interesting to me. A Giant Roam which can fit a 40T ring, same 450mm chainstays as my Toughroad but with a 62mm BB drop, and it says it clears 55mm tires in the rear: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/roam-2-disc-2021

I'm thinking of replacing the fork with a rigid carbon "TOSEEK" which has the same A-to-C as the Suntour fork but with a reduced 39mm offset. Also clears a 2.4" tire: https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Carbon-R...r=592558262047
Old 01-04-21, 08:13 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
I’m building a Salsa Fargo this winter as a 29+ bike. 2.8” rubber on 35mm rims. I’m doing a Mtb Shimano SLX 1x12 drivetrain with either Jones or Moloko bars.

wiating on the frame, wheels, and drivetrain components, due sometime in January, can’t wait!
Old 01-06-21, 11:48 AM
doubravsky 

Bikes: Colnago Crystal, GT MTB, Fuji D6 TT bike, Breezer Beltway commuter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I'm building something similar (drop bar based) around the Rawland Cycles ULV. It's got clearance for 29x2.6 or 27.5 x 3.0 .... have the frame... just finishing getting the parts.

https://rawlandcycles.com/
Likes For doubravsky:
Old 01-08-21, 10:22 PM
DarKris

So update: I found a frame from a 2012 Kona Kahuna Deluxe being sold on bikeman.com. I also found a Carver XC 470 fork as well. Both quick release so i can use my existing wheels.

I ordered both and my plan now is to test if my 36t oval chainring will clear the stays. If not and I can’t bump down to a 34t oval then I may return it. But for the price I think it’s a good place for me to start. The only other thing I’m debating is whether I want this to replace my Toughroad GX or if I want this to be it’s own bike. I’m leaning more towards making the 29er an alt-bar setup for price reasons (getting an integrated dropper lever with a road shifter might be too pricey at the moment)
Likes For DarKris:
Old 01-09-21, 08:50 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
My reservation would be QR and discs. I expect OP is aware of this issue and has come to terms. Just posting for whomever comes across this in the future.
Old 01-09-21, 08:54 AM
DarKris

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
My reservation would be QR and discs. I expect OP is aware of this issue and has come to terms. Just posting for whomever comes across this in the future.
My current bike is quick release. I have 2 wheelsets that are QR. The reason why I went with a qr frame and fork was for compatibility with my current setup.
Likes For DarKris:
Old 01-12-21, 01:23 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
What's the issue?
Old 01-12-21, 03:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
I think there are two concerns. First, when replacing a wheel, the QR does not offer as precise alignment as the thru axle. It's not unusual to have to readjust the caliper/disc clearance when reinstalling a wheel. I've experienced this. The other is more theoretical, apparently. The movement of the braking force, from the rim to closer to the hub, supposedly allows the wheel to "walk" out of an open bottom drop out. I won't pretend to understand this but it's said to be one of the reasons major manufacturers have moved to thru axles, at least on the front. Regardless of the legitimacy of the concerns, the bike world has moved on from QR/disc and there seems to be little reason to buy a new bike with that obsolete tech. Again, I've only experienced the first issue and folks would need to Google for an actual explanation of the second.
Old 01-13-21, 04:35 AM
MAGAIVER

Bikes: Kona Unit, Kona Kahuna, Kona Dew DL, Scott Big Jon, Trek Checkpoint ALR4, KHS Urban Soul, Haro Team Issue, GT Force Expert Carbon, Bernardi Quadra.

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
So update: I found a frame from a 2012 Kona Kahuna Deluxe being sold on bikeman.com. I also found a Carver XC 470 fork as well. Both quick release so i can use my existing wheels.
I ordered both and my plan now is to test if my 36t oval chainring will clear the stays. If not and I can’t bump down to a 34t oval then I may return it. But for the price I think it’s a good place for me to start. The only other thing I’m debating is whether I want this to replace my Toughroad GX or if I want this to be it’s own bike. I’m leaning more towards making the 29er an alt-bar setup for price reasons (getting an integrated dropper lever with a road shifter might be too pricey at the moment)
Kahuna is a great choice I have a 2013 Kahuna with a rigid fork and it is awesome.

Likes For MAGAIVER:
Old 01-13-21, 09:33 PM
DarKris

So my frame and fork came in the other day and the first thing that I did was test the chain ring clearance and to my delight my 36 tooth oval chain ring cleared perfectly. I am still waiting on the actual headset bearings, so I shoved some shop towels in the head tube so it wouldn’t scratch the fork. I did this to get an idea of what it will look like when fully assembled:

I did buy additional parts for this build such as a 60mm stem, Wolftooth red headset spacers and seatpost collar (I got the seatpost collar a month ago but I took it off my Sync’r and put it on this build),and new compressionless Jagwire cables in red. For drivetrain I bought the Sensah SRX 1x11 groupset for cost reasons and I guess it’ll be nice to see how it compares to the Shimano/SRAM shifters I’ve used in the past/present. I’m also going to run a PNW Coast suspension dropper post because, well that’s half the reason why I’m doing this build 😬.

I also wanted to Re-use as many parts as I could since I originally wanted this to replace my Toughroad GX frame. I took the 52cm PNW Coast bars off my Toughroad for this build, as well as the 700c wheels, relegating my Toughroad to 650b now. I’m also using TRP Spyre mech brakes that I used on a previous build so no hydraulic but I don’t think that’ll be too much of a problem. I think this will pretty much turn into a utilitarian/drop bar 29er at this rate... until I could afford SRAM AXS lol.
Likes For DarKris:
Old 01-14-21, 07:54 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

QUOTE=DarKris;21876983]So my frame and fork came in the other day and the first thing that I did was test the chain ring clearance and to my delight my 36 tooth oval chain ring cleared perfectly. I am still waiting on the actual headset bearings, so I shoved some shop towels in the head tube so it wouldn’t scratch the fork. I did this to get an idea of what it will look like when fully assembled:

I did buy additional parts for this build such as a 60mm stem, Wolftooth red headset spacers and seatpost collar (I got the seatpost collar a month ago but I took it off my Sync’r and put it on this build),and new compressionless Jagwire cables in red. For drivetrain I bought the Sensah SRX 1x11 groupset for cost reasons and I guess it’ll be nice to see how it compares to the Shimano/SRAM shifters I’ve used in the past/present. I’m also going to run a PNW Coast suspension dropper post because, well that’s half the reason why I’m doing this build 😬.

I also wanted to Re-use as many parts as I could since I originally wanted this to replace my Toughroad GX frame. I took the 52cm PNW Coast bars off my Toughroad for this build, as well as the 700c wheels, relegating my Toughroad to 650b now. I’m also using TRP Spyre mech brakes that I used on a previous build so no hydraulic but I don’t think that’ll be too much of a problem. I think this will pretty much turn into a utilitarian/drop bar 29er at this rate... until I could afford SRAM AXS lol.[/QUOTE]

Love seeing a messy garage! Great build.
Old 01-14-21, 07:57 AM
Toadmeister

I think there are two concerns. First, when replacing a wheel, the QR does not offer as precise alignment as the thru axle. It's not unusual to have to readjust the caliper/disc clearance when reinstalling a wheel. I've experienced this. The other is more theoretical, apparently. The movement of the braking force, from the rim to closer to the hub, supposedly allows the wheel to "walk" out of an open bottom drop out. I won't pretend to understand this but it's said to be one of the reasons major manufacturers have moved to thru axles, at least on the front. Regardless of the legitimacy of the concerns, the bike world has moved on from QR/disc and there seems to be little reason to buy a new bike with that obsolete tech. Again, I've only experienced the first issue and folks would need to Google for an actual explanation of the second.
I wouldn't buy a new bike with QR either given the opportunity. During COVID choices are a bit more limited however. I hve to re-adjust the brakes on my wife's bike every time I swap wheels.
Likes For Toadmeister:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.