Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava- anybody else find it creepy/intrusive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Strava- anybody else find it creepy/intrusive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-21, 03:46 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
probably not a good idea mentioning TS/DOD/Security Clearance work on a public forum.
His story is so vague on any actual work details that I'm not sure it matters. It's not remotely surprising to find out the government uses VTCs in its TS/SCI facilities. It's like me saying I work in a TS/SCI facility and I have a picture of me cycling as my background on my PC and have a charity jersey hanging next to my desk.
Old 06-03-21, 03:59 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I read you ...... social media as a whole is not my bag at all .... the Strava posts I see (rare) are nothing compared to my dislike of Facebook etc so maybe that colors how I look at it.... or maybe the few I see have riders that go farther and faster so Im jealous ..... maybe I should give it a shot since I am dissing it and have never tried it ..... I heard it can be creepy tho 😂😂
Old 06-03-21, 06:41 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
His story is so vague on any actual work details that I'm not sure it matters. It's not remotely surprising to find out the government uses VTCs in its TS/SCI facilities. It's like me saying I work in a TS/SCI facility and I have a picture of me cycling as my background on my PC and have a charity jersey hanging next to my desk.

you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. and if you are in the sort of position that requires tight lips then you are in severe need of a refresher course. what you deem vague is just a part of a whole.
Old 06-04-21, 03:50 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
Just 'signed up' at Strava a couple of weeks ago. I 'had to do it' to see a ride a friend had done.

Does anybody except me find it 'creepy' when Strava announces:

And then they list people I do know......
Exactly how do they know that info?
It's the same reason I don't like FaceBook.
Too old, I guess..still value my privacy and 'have issues' with surveillance capitalism.
It is certainly not only Facebook if it is Facebook to some extent. All of the people suggested to me as "friends" are not my friends on Facebook (which I rarely use anymore). It even tells me who these people are, mostly people that are followed by my followers or the people I follow.
Old 06-04-21, 03:54 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
George Orwell would be shocked at the extent to which modern people surveil themselves and willfully consent to giving up their privacy.

All this to simply because so many people have strong need to flex in sight of an audience and gain affirmation for their efforts.
George Orwell would be shocked that you consider a social media app equivalent to a totalitarian regime.

The biggest threat anyway isn't giving the data to Strava in itself, but someone using it to stalk you, possibly even hacking social media for information that the app has that isn't public.

Last edited by ZHVelo; 06-04-21 at 02:28 PM.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 06-04-21, 04:19 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Just change your settings and don't make your rides public.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-04-21, 05:28 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisWagner
... You are the product...
^this is it in a nutshell. Your electronic devices are employed by big tech for data mining and algorithms to drive your viewing and clicking behavior, which provides feedback into the system, thereby refining its learning of what it can make you do. You (and your phone behavior) are the the product(s).

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 06-04-21 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-04-21, 05:40 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I find it to be a win win, actually, that my phone shows me ads of things I might be interested in actually buying such as, eg. bikes and bike kit instead of bombaring me with ads for random stuff I don't care for.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 06-04-21, 07:40 AM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger

you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. and if you are in the sort of position that requires tight lips then you are in severe need of a refresher course. what you deem vague is just a part of a whole.
LOL. Ok, dude. There is no possible useful intel that could be gleaned from his post. None. That VTCs are used in TS spaces is of no useful value to anyone anywhere. The poster doesn't use his real name, mentions no dates, and no locations.

I don't actually believe *you* know what you're talking about. Lighten up, Francis.

Last edited by guachi; 06-04-21 at 07:43 AM.
Likes For guachi:
Old 06-04-21, 07:53 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by Branko D
I find it to be a win win, actually, that my phone shows me ads of things I might be interested in actually buying such as, eg. bikes and bike kit instead of bombaring me with ads for random stuff I don't care for.
How about no ads. Stay off my phone. Why am I getting ads on my phone, 10-20 junk calls per day...... Like.....how about privacy?
Old 06-04-21, 08:04 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I'm less worried about Strava and other social media apps gleaning some of my information than I am having my phone number out there being circulated among car warranty scammers.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 06-04-21, 08:08 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I'm less worried about Strava and other social media apps gleaning some of my information than I am having my phone number out there being circulated among car warranty scammers.
What is it with car warranty people? SInce my Toyota Land Cruiser warranty ended, I have been getting barraged daily with those calls and I have not owned that vehicle for 4 years. Toyota must have sold my information.
Old 06-04-21, 08:14 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
What is it with car warranty people? SInce my Toyota Land Cruiser warranty ended, I have been getting barraged daily with those calls and I have not owned that vehicle for 4 years. Toyota must have sold my information.
No, they're just scammers mass calling everyone they can. I haven't owned a vehicle under warranty for years, but they tend to call often.
Old 06-04-21, 09:36 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
This is why I will occasionally click on a lingerie website. I want my pop-up ads to be appealing.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-04-21, 09:40 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
No, they're just scammers mass calling everyone they can. I haven't owned a vehicle under warranty for years, but they tend to call often.
It could be a coincidence the calls when the warrant was expiring of the only car with a factory warranty that I had since Gore invented the Internet.

I like the mass scammers calling from Africa threatening to come take my wifes and childrens if I do not pay the IRS fine.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-04-21, 10:10 AM
spelger

i get random phone calls too but i don't think it is related to social media. i have a strava account and a linked in account and they are about 3 years old. i've been getting calls for much longer before that. the samsung seems better than the old iphone i had, it allows blocking.

oh, also a BF account created a few years ago but no number given to them.
Likes For spelger:
Old 06-04-21, 10:26 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I set all my activities to private and turned off flyby.

I mostly use Garmin Connect but Strava has some features that are different.

BTW.. I never used Facebook or any other "social media". And Yes, I understand forums are a form of social media... just not as "creepy".
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-04-21, 10:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
I tend to agree with you. I used my work phone number in connection with the purchase of my vehicle in 2016. I get all sorts of scam calls on my personal cell phone, including car warranty calls, but car warranty calls are the only ones I get on my work number. Just got another one yesterday.

Edit: Heh. Just got another one 20 min. after I posted this. Pressed 1 and when someone picked up I called them a name that I cannot repeat here and hung up. Maybe they read this post and decided to mess with me.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-04-21 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-04-21, 11:03 AM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
*whispers*

you had me at creepy and intrusive

*EDIT: whispering. its creepy.

Last edited by growlerdinky; 06-04-21 at 11:04 AM. Reason: creepy
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 06-04-21, 11:12 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
My FaceBook profile is as anonymous as possible - email is about the only info they have been given (knowingly) by me. I have zero 'friends' on Facebook, and never use Facebook to 'Sign In' to other sites.

I guess I'm wondering whether Strava/FaceBook are harvesting email address books or email contacts??
Since it appears to be of vital importance to you, I’m sure you reached out to the various platforms you referenced and asked them about harvesting?
What size tin foil hat do you wear btw?
Old 06-04-21, 11:12 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
I use Strava as my training log and to follow a few close friends. I don't find it creepy. I don't do Facebook though, I find that kind of thing a waste of time. I prefer forums to discuss/research stuff I'm actually interested in with like-minded people.
Old 06-04-21, 11:21 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I use Strava as my training log and to follow a few close friends. I don't find it creepy. I don't do Facebook though, I find that kind of thing a waste of time. I prefer forums to discuss/research stuff I'm actually interested in with like-minded people.
I was with you on Facebook until I moved overseas. Then I got on expat Facebook forums for the area I was moving too and the up to date information was invaluable to me and my families move. I get ALL of the FB hate for sure...but for this one case it was the most valuable tool for getting information that was boots on the ground no **** actionable that saved me money, time and heartache.

Just a small counterpoint. It does have it's uses for sure.
Old 06-04-21, 01:02 PM
Milton Keynes

It could be a coincidence the calls when the warrant was expiring of the only car with a factory warranty that I had since Gore invented the Internet.

I like the mass scammers calling from Africa threatening to come take my wifes and childrens if I do not pay the IRS fine.
I'm just glad that Microsoft is relentlessly scanning my computer for viruses and will call the moment they detect one.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 06-04-21, 01:07 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Edit: Heh. Just got another one 20 min. after I posted this. Pressed 1 and when someone picked up I called them a name that I cannot repeat here and hung up. Maybe they read this post and decided to mess with me.
Never press 1 or any other number when they call. That just logs your number as an active number and they will keep calling you relentlessly.

At my work I've installed a call blocker on the landline phone, and it's cut down on a lot of nuisance calls. They used to come in waves, a few weeks would be thick with them and then they'd slack off for a few weeks, only to pick back up again later. But here recently I haven't gotten many nuisance calls at all. I'd like to think that the blocker constantly hanging up on them registered my number with them as non-working or something. I'd like to think that, but I know they'll probably start calling en masse again.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 06-04-21 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-04-21, 01:14 PM
spelger

i'd think that just answering the call would log the number as active.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.