Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Something is messed up!??

Old 07-14-21, 09:24 AM
Axeman88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Something is messed up!??

I think I may never reach the 10 post minimum to get full access to this forum.

I log in, I read, I find a topic to which I think I have something to add.

I compose a carefully worded response. I press the respond button. The forum chews on it, then displays a message that for some reason I'm not qualified. It's claiming that I attached a URL, which I did not? And, It has apparently logged me out? I log in AGAIN, but my carefully composed message has disappeared.

I've lost at least a half a dozen posts this way. I rather suspect this one will disappear, ... we'll see.

This certainly keeps out the riff raff, but it also keeps out many others as well.
Old 07-14-21, 10:18 AM
Axeman88

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Just happened AGAIN. I'll provide more detail.

I compose my response. In so doing, I may have left the window to attend to something, or check spelling on a word, look up a model number, etc. When finished, I press "Post Quick Reply".

I get the message: "the following errors occured with your submission
  1. You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again."
I've been logged in the entire time, I'm still apparently logged in, at least my login name is showing in the top right corner.

This is a response to a thread that I've somehow ALREADY responded to. I'm just trying to interact with someone who responded to my previous post.

I refresh the page. Now, I'm no longer logged in. I log in, again. Now, my carefully composed post is gone.

Frustrating!
Old 07-14-21, 11:33 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
where are you posting at?
Old 07-14-21, 01:17 PM
Axeman88

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Sitting at my desk, in my office.

I would suggest that the issue has to do with leaving the window, and making another window active. I'm using Microsoft Edge as my internet access application on this Win10 machine. I generally open a single window, but with multiple tabs within that window. I'll also be running other applications on my system simultaneously. If I need to address work related matters, of course those will take precedence, and I'll return to the forum tab later to complete my post.

When I was very careful to NOT leave forum window during composition of a post, then I was able to successfully post, whereas leaving the tab, to reference another tab to look up a model number, for example, or read an email in Outlook, seems to always result in the issue I cited.

I hope this behavior can be changed. Having several applications and windows open simultaneously is how people use computers nowadays.
Old 07-14-21, 01:19 PM
Axeman88

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
On a positive note, creating this thread and the equivalent to talking to myself, has enabled me to reach my 10 post requirement. Yaaay!
Old 07-14-21, 02:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
You use Edge? Oh, you're the guy.

Seriously, when I've had issues like that, I make it a practice to copy the text I'm about to send so that if I have to repost it to get around the issue, I can just paste it into the new window.
Old 07-14-21, 02:08 PM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Make sure you've clicked "remember me" and are accepting site cookies to stay logged in.
Likes For IBJoel:
Old 07-14-21, 03:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Well, you now have 10 posts, but may be banished for another day.

As others have mentioned, if you are worried a post won't go out, just copy it. Either paste it into Notepad, or your favorite word processor. Or just keep it in your copy buffer.

This system treats most images as links. So if you post an image, or even quote a message with an image, it can show up as a link.
If you aren't sure about a message you're composing.... try clicking on "Source" and look for [url], [img], etc.