Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hybrid to Gravel bike conversion

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-21-21, 02:16 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 36 Posts

I have a Diamond Back Insight II. I don't know what to do with it. I am thinking about converting it to a gravel bike. Maybe going with a 1x9 or 10 configuration, and swapping out the touring bars for drop bars. It has mechanical disc brakes, and 36 spoke wheels that are fitted with 38c tires.
Old 07-21-21, 04:05 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Did you have a question?

maybe try the Gravel forum?
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 07-21-21, 04:11 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Realize your reach will be further out on the drop bars. So you might need a shorter stem. Hybrids also tend to be heavy.

If that bike was made as a hybrid originally, then the geometry might have too long a top tube on it and you may not be able to get your ideal reach on the drop bars.

I'd just give it to someone you dislike and buy a proper gravel bike in the style you desire.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-21-21, 05:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
You could ride gravel on your flat bar bike with the gearing you have. The triple should give you plenty of range. If you want to ride gravel.... And here are your gravel friends https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...-recreational/ Maybe a mod will move this for you
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-21-21, 06:07 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Realize your reach will be further out on the drop bars. So you might need a shorter stem. Hybrids also tend to be heavy.

If that bike was made as a hybrid originally, then the geometry might have too long a top tube on it and you may not be able to get your ideal reach on the drop bars.

I'd just give it to someone you dislike and buy a proper gravel bike in the style you desire.
I doubt that I would get enough to afford a decent gravel bike if I sold it.
Old 07-22-21, 07:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly907la
Originally Posted by Iride01
I doubt that I would get enough to afford a decent gravel bike if I sold it.
I didn't say sell it. I said to give it to someone you dislike.

You can spend money on drop bars and shifters to put on it. But if that bike doesn't currently ride gravel the way you want it to ride gravel, then bars and shifters won't help it.
Old 07-22-21, 08:40 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Congratulations, you already own a gravel bike. Drop bars and 1x gearing doesn't make it any more or less capable for gravel. A gravel bike should have: 1. clearance for wide enough tires to suit your terrain. 2. Gearing to meet your terrain. That's it.

Changing to drops has nothing to do with it. That should be a user preference decision. This will require new bars, tape, maybe a stem, brake levers, cables. Your flat bar shifters and brakes will not fit drop bars. Kind of a big switch to fit a "look" unless that's what you want.

1x gearing: Put it in the middle chain ring, pull off the front derailer, add a wider range rear cassette. Done. Or, buy a whole new 1x drive train if it's worth it. Ask yourself what you will gain besides "looks".

This is my gravel bike. Basically a 700c road bike with a second 650b wheelset, 38mm tires and wider range cassette. The 2x gearing is stock.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 07-22-21 at 08:51 AM.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 07-22-21, 09:04 AM
gurana
Tête de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Hybrid is by definition a gravel bike... At least to my understanding. Not quite a road bike, not quite a mountain bike. Something you can comfortably ride on the road and take it off road, but not optimized for either.

But snarkiness aside, I think I know what you're getting at. You want something more like a road bike that can ride off road, yeah? That's an awesome project and you could have a lot of fun doing it probably.

Since this didn't really seem like a request for opinions or advice, and more you just sharing a cool project, I'll withhold my opinions and advice and your obviously misguided quest to build a redundant bike
Old 07-22-21, 09:05 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
I too vote for leaving it alone. It is already closer to being a gravel bike than the average 25c-tire road bike is.
Old 07-22-21, 10:51 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Triple cranksets work fine on gravel. Just wrap the drive-side chain stay with a strip of old inner tube and get some gravel tires. Get the fattest tires that will fit.
Likes For tyrion: