Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Newbie Disc Brake Question

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-26-21, 02:13 PM
Berge20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Before I lug the bike into the LBS, wanted to check here and see if this is just par for the course.

I'm totally new to disc brake systems and am just starting out on a SRAM Red Hydraulic Flat Mounts w CLX-R 160mm centerlock rotors. When I am riding at speed, no sound. When I am riding and feather or only slowly depress the rear break shifter, no sound/good slowing. If I do a hard pull on the rear brake, it will make something between a gurgling and a grinding sound. Good stopping power. Pretty/very sure it is a metal sound, so don't confuse my gurgling with a liquid issue, but it's what it sounds like to me. Nothing high pitched or anything.

After releasing the rear brake from that type of hard stop, you will occasionally, and for a short period of time, hear something rubbing constantly. I assume that's the disc warping and now not quite setting right in the system. However, it goes away quickly (heat dissipation perhaps?) depending on how hard/long the brake was.

Long and short, just trying to figure out if this is just normal for this setup. Or if I have one or two separate issues within the system.

It is my understanding that these were "bedded in" by the LBS originally.

Last edited by Berge20; 07-28-21 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-26-21, 06:44 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...b-r-k-e-s.html
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-26-21, 07:39 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Disc brakes can sound like they're grinding, especially if you're used to a quiet rubber pad rim brake. That's because they sort of are (grinding). Even organic pads have a pretty hard/firm consistency and they're squeezing a metal brake rotor. I've found that disc brakes are generally noisier than rim brakes, especially before everything really breaks in. Some rotors have a simple machined finish to them and you'll see that this machined finish is "parallel" to the pads at two points around the rotor and "perpendicular" to the pads at two other points. This machined finish will eventually wear in (basically, it's polished up by the brake pads) and brake operation can be noisy until this happens. I've also found that different hole patterns in the rotors can create different noise patterns. You can also check to make sure the caliper is positioned correctly on the rotor, and that the pads are not scraping along the "spokes" of the rotor.

Unless you hear a sharp grinding noise accompanied by score marks or similar on the rotor surface, it's probably just a different noise than you're used to hearing.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 07-26-21, 07:47 PM
Berge20

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
oooops!
Old 07-26-21, 07:50 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Yeah, the gurgling sound might just be the brake rotor holes passing between the pads. The front brake on one of my bikes does that when braking at higher speeds. In general, it sounds like everything's okay with yours -- no rubbing, no squealing -- but there's also no danger in pulling the pads out and inspecting them, or in repositioning the caliper if it gets out of alignment. There are lots of YouTube videos out there worth looking at, even if you don't actually perform any of the repairs or maintenance they depict. They might help to de-mystify some of the inner workings and help you prepare for potential issues that might pop up.
Old 07-27-21, 10:22 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I would not assume the LBS bedded in the pads before purchase. Take the bike on a ride where you hit the biggest hills in your area, and build up a good head of steam on the downhills and apply your brakes such that you come to a stop gradually so as to maximise the length of break-in cycles. You can alternate F and R brakes on each run.
Old 07-27-21, 10:34 AM
Berge20

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks all. Is it typical for a brake to warp temporarily after heavy use and then rub slightly for a few minutes after? Just trying to get my head around all of this.
Old 07-27-21, 10:48 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by Berge20
Thanks all. Is it typical for a brake to warp temporarily after heavy use and then rub slightly for a few minutes after? Just trying to get my head around all of this.
I would not say that it's typical for a rotor to truly "warp", no. Brake rotors are almost never perfectly laterally true. This is just due to the nature of the imprecision involved, including the rotor itself, the flatness (or not) of the hub surface to which it's mounted, the runout between that and the axle bearing on which the hub spins, etc. You very often need to true the rotor (by physically bending it) as it's installed to the wheel. Do that once and then don't remove that rotor again unless you must, because that rotor is now matched to that exact mounting spot on the hub. If you re-clock the rotor on the hub (as in, removing it and reinstalling in a different position than when you trued it), you will likely need to re-true the rotor. Watch videos online on how to do this -- it's not hard and just takes some time and patience.

Anyway, all that to say that the rotor is probably not perfectly laterally true and it sounds like it takes a half beat for your caliper pistons to retract into the calipers. The rhythmic light brushes of the rotor against the pads as the rotor spins are what you're hearing. Once the pads fully retract back into the caliper, there's enough clearance generated and the rotor no longer bushes against the pads as it spins.

You can eyeball the trueness of the rotor by slowly spinning the wheel on a bike stand. Look down at the rotor and caliper interface along the fork blade. You'll likely be able to see the small gap between the rotor and the pads. Hydraulic brakes should have an even gap on both sides. As you spin the wheel, your rotor may appear to shift left or right a little bit. This is an indicator that the rotor is not perfectly laterally true and may need some correction.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 07-27-21, 01:47 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I was new to disc brakes last year. It took 300 miles of riding before the pads wore in to provide way more than adequate stopping power. And they did sometimes sound like they were grinding.

But if you need an excuse to browse the LBS, take it back and let them see it or reassure you. And don't forget to take your bike back for any free inspection and adjustment they might have mentioned when you bought it.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-27-21, 02:06 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I agree with hokiefyd -- probably just the pistons aren't uniformly retracting. They can/should be cleaned and lubricated occasionally, but FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS regarding when, how, and what to use.

Last edited by Rolla; 07-27-21 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-27-21, 02:16 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
Try getting out of the saddle and lean the bike to each side for a couple wheel revs and see if it goes away "quickly".
Old 07-27-21, 04:01 PM
Berge20

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Roger all. Thanks again and will keep at it. Minor issue at most it appears, but good thoughts on how to clear it up potentially.
Old 07-27-21, 04:06 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
Hi Berge, welcome aboard Bike Forums.

You may want to read this thread >

Old 07-27-21, 04:47 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Hi Berge, welcome aboard Bike Forums.

You may want to read this thread >

Post #2 pretty much had this covered...
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-28-21, 05:42 AM
Berge20

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The internet is great
Old 07-28-21, 05:59 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
When bedding in disc brakes never come to a complete stop. It allows heat from the disc to cook the pads hard before they've had a chance to deposit material on the discs. Slow to a near stop, then release and roll away to start the next cycle. It's never a good idea to come to a complete stop and hold the brakes on after severe braking in any case, that'll cook the pads too.
Old 07-28-21, 07:22 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
oooops!
And you still missed a couple of "breaks" in your edit
Old 07-28-21, 07:38 AM
Berge20

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Old 07-28-21, 07:42 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
they can my 203 ice tech order on our tandem often does. that after any braking, even the new one does it though not as bad.
Old 07-28-21, 03:38 PM
Berge20

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Try getting out of the saddle and lean the bike to each side for a couple wheel revs and see if it goes away "quickly".
Initially I would have said this helped, but when I tried it today, it didn't really seem to. Curious as to what it would indicate (possibly) if so? Trying to learn from you all! Thanks
Old 07-28-21, 03:41 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
Initially I would have said this helped, but when I tried it today, it didn't really seem to. Curious as to what it would indicate (possibly) if so? Trying to learn from you all! Thanks
Side play in the wheel bearings.
I'm not into disc brakes, but a "bit" of side play allows the rotor to "knock" the pads into a slightly "more retracted" position.