Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The New Classic Rigs and Rides Thread 1.1

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The New Classic Rigs and Rides Thread 1.1

Old 08-18-21, 09:37 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 646 Posts
Three of these I built or acquired this year, and the white bike has been with me a long time.

1986 Jeff Lyon
1979 Michael Johnson
1984 Specialized Expedition
1988 Stan Johnson

Old 08-18-21, 09:51 PM
Jacob_R_59 

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Hors Categorie, 1990s Lennard Zinn, 1985 Guerciotti Jet, 1975 Peugeot PX-10,

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 30 Posts
Serotta Rear Triangle

I still remember the first time I climbed a hill on it. I got out of the saddle and then I sat down. I thought I broke the frame,
as it compressed and then sprang back!

Likes For Jacob_R_59:
Old 10-23-21, 03:51 PM
henrycroll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
New here, but I have a few old steel frames. I used to ride a Croll, very pretty bike with stunning blue paint job (although I am biased) until I cracked the frame a couple years ago. Now on a series 3 paramount, also blue, just not quite as pretty.
Old 10-25-21, 05:41 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 159 Posts

These are finally done. Some not so c parts, but mid 90s is v by any stretch of the definition. Lugged steel frames too.
Likes For Flatforkcrown:
Old 11-24-21, 02:03 AM
ClayH 

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
New project

1976 Colnago Super. Either lots of work or none at all...haven't decided yet.
Old 12-06-21, 05:50 AM
Thomas_Faulkner

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bianchi - my love forever
I'm a huge bianchi fan
Old 12-08-21, 10:11 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 110 Posts
An alternative to my 1988 Waterford Paramount

Hi folks,

Thanks to @machinist42, I now have a great alternative to my beloved 88 Waterford Paramount. Jeff (manchinist42) provided me with a very nice ‘87 Schwinn Prologue frame set. It could use a bit of sprucing up, it but was clean and ready to build.

Using a bunch of bin or recycled parts, here’s what went into it:
Shimano 600 Headset

Cinelli XA bars & stem
Shimano 105 2 X 10 “brifters”
Shimano 600 Tri-color dual pivot brake calipers
Ultegra 6600 Derailleurs
Sugino XD2 Compact Crankset with new, 48 + 36, 10 spd rings.
Unbranded alloy single bolt seat post
Shimano 11-28 cassette
DT Swiss wheels that are branded “CODA”
Undecided on wheels & tires, units shown are for testing

So, why did I need an alternative to the Paramount? Two years ago on a brisk mid-autumn day, I took it out for a quick 10 mile ride. The next morning my shoulders were sore. I figured the cold had just caused them to tighten up. That day I did the ride again to loosen them up. Surprise, the next morning they, particularly the left one, were really hurting. A rub down with some ointment and I got thru the day. The next morning the right was a little better, but the left was really sore and I could only raise my hand to about ear level. Off to the doctor where I was given a sling and a Cortisone shot & scheduled a follow appt 5 days later. There wasn’t much improvement and an MRI plus some other testing. It was determined that I had some pinched nerves and tendonitis in both shoulders. I was put on a physical therapy program and am almost back to normal. After researching smoother riding bikes from the Schwinn family, I decided on one of the “Schwinnasonic” models. First was a PDG Paramount that, while it rode nicely, was a bit too big and had a very high BB. The Prologue is almost perfect. Unfortunately, our weather has limited my ride time since I’m a bit of a wimp. I don’t ride in the rain or below 50 degrees. In the dozen or so miles I’ve put on the Prologue, the fit is very good plus it rides comfortably and handles well.

I’ll keep the Paramount for short rides in warm weather and pass it on to our son when I can no longer cycle. Hopefully, he’ll enjoy it as much as I have.

Cheers,

Van
Likes For Senior Ryder 00:
Old 12-09-21, 12:20 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
This bike has been hanging for quite awhile. The issue is that it is a bit on the small side. It has over 5000 miles under me so it is not a stranger. The Pinarello replaced it in several ways.
I consider this a classic bike. It is period correct and a great ride. I should take some updated pictures of it even though Flickr has a couple of hundred of this bike alone in various states and for various reasons.
1983 Colnago Superissimo on Flickr
My attachment to it is real because it is the replacement for the Le Champion lost in a collision with a car that got in my way.
Old 01-01-22, 07:47 AM
narwhale100

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fantastic restoration - I've been searching for an Alan Carbino in my size for a nb of yrs. One day...
Old 01-01-22, 11:27 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
This is a beauty, what is the top tube length?

[QUOTE=Jacob_R_59;22185658]Here are a few:

3) 1988 64cm Medici Pro-Strada with Campagnolo C Record gruppo and replacement fork. Frame will be offered for sale on this Forum soon as I found a 65cm!

Last edited by Paul J; 01-01-22 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-01-22, 11:40 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Originally Posted by narwhale100
Fantastic restoration - I've been searching for an Alan Carbino in my size for a nb of yrs. One day...
If you quote the subject they/we will see which bike you mentioned.
Old 01-01-22, 07:18 PM
Jacob_R_59 

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Hors Categorie, 1990s Lennard Zinn, 1985 Guerciotti Jet, 1975 Peugeot PX-10,

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 30 Posts
64cm Medici Pro Strada

Top tube length is 59.5”
Old 01-03-22, 07:54 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacob_R_59
Top tube length is 59.5”
Thanks, keep me posted on the frame.
Old 01-26-22, 08:59 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Hi folks,

Thanks to @machinist42, I now have a great alternative to my beloved 88 Waterford Paramount. Jeff (manchinist42) provided me with a very nice ‘87 Schwinn Prologue frame set. It could use a bit of sprucing up, it but was clean and ready to build.

Using a bunch of bin or recycled parts, here’s what went into it:
Shimano 600 Headset

Cinelli XA bars & stem
Shimano 105 2 X 10 “brifters”
Shimano 600 Tri-color dual pivot brake calipers
Ultegra 6600 Derailleurs
Sugino XD2 Compact Crankset with new, 48 + 36, 10 spd rings.
Unbranded alloy single bolt seat post
Shimano 11-28 cassette
DT Swiss wheels that are branded “CODA”
Undecided on wheels & tires, units shown are for testing

So, why did I need an alternative to the Paramount? Two years ago on a brisk mid-autumn day, I took it out for a quick 10 mile ride. The next morning my shoulders were sore. I figured the cold had just caused them to tighten up. That day I did the ride again to loosen them up. Surprise, the next morning they, particularly the left one, were really hurting. A rub down with some ointment and I got thru the day. The next morning the right was a little better, but the left was really sore and I could only raise my hand to about ear level. Off to the doctor where I was given a sling and a Cortisone shot & scheduled a follow appt 5 days later. There wasn’t much improvement and an MRI plus some other testing. It was determined that I had some pinched nerves and tendonitis in both shoulders. I was put on a physical therapy program and am almost back to normal. After researching smoother riding bikes from the Schwinn family, I decided on one of the “Schwinnasonic” models. First was a PDG Paramount that, while it rode nicely, was a bit too big and had a very high BB. The Prologue is almost perfect. Unfortunately, our weather has limited my ride time since I’m a bit of a wimp. I don’t ride in the rain or below 50 degrees. In the dozen or so miles I’ve put on the Prologue, the fit is very good plus it rides comfortably and handles well.

I’ll keep the Paramount for short rides in warm weather and pass it on to our son when I can no longer cycle. Hopefully, he’ll enjoy it as much as I have.

Cheers,

Van
Hi folks,

Stage two update on my Prologue project:

First, the latest picture in its RWB theme.

Mechanically, this is what I planned. Next stage will be after I get some miles on it and our weather warms up and dries out. Then, I’ll do some minor rust treatment and a bit of paint touch up. The wheels & HB tape were purchased from our local co-op where I volunteer. The blue housing was left over from a previous project. The blue Soma saddle came from @Shrevvy. The bars, stem, brakes, crankset, shifters, etc. were acquired over the years either as special bargains or from other projects. …and the frameset is from @machinist42.

Time to ride it!

Cheers,

Van
Likes For Senior Ryder 00:
Old 01-27-22, 11:21 AM
rob_marq

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whenever I hear classic road bikes there are two images that comes to my head...Ti bikes and Colnago Master!
Old 02-24-22, 03:57 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Finally done - the last of the estate bikes I picked up last spring. 8 spd Campagnolo drivetrain with Martano tubular rims and Continental Sprinter Gatorskin tires. Weight came in at 20.1 lbs. And with the obligatory white garage door in the background.

Last edited by scozim; 02-24-22 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-06-22, 03:26 PM
Texpe

Bikes: 65 Frejus Tour de France 68 Frejus corsa 72 Legnano Frankenstien 75 Frejus Professional 74 Paramount 74 Super Mondia Special 77 Raleigh Grand Prix 77 Sekine Gravel 83 Vicini 87 Nishki International 74 campania pro 71 schwinn sports tourer 75 romic

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Its upgraded to a schwinn sports tourer sans camp dropouts. Looks good,
Old 03-06-22, 03:46 PM
Secrest302

Bikes: Motobecane Jubilee Deluxe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, some really cool classics on this string. Keep em coming!
Old 03-08-22, 08:29 AM
mosinglespeeder

Bikes: Waterford W-13, Ritchey road logic; Ritchey SwissCross; Pinarello Paris ; Surly Karate Monkey monstergravel hauler 1983 Mike Mullet, mid 80s Alpina, late 70s schwinn world sport tourer

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts

Here's my recent neo-retro rebuild, using mostly latter 90s shimano parts, 9 spd, newer tubulars
just had the first ride on her this week, and was super impressed.
grabbed the frameset for $200, saved her from being discarded for sure

Not sure how interested others will be about the build, so I will keep it short, w/pics
Likes For mosinglespeeder:
Old 06-30-22, 03:25 AM
SeeSeeRookRook

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
all these bikes are giving me the itch to get one
Old 08-05-22, 07:53 PM
alex123711

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campione bicycles

Has anyone heard of Campione bicycles? From around the 1970's
Old 09-17-22, 12:18 AM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not as nice condition as some folks on here have under their butts, but this is my old trusty-rusty-steed still rolling along.
1980 Sekine, I believe its a fairly rare version of an RM-40 from what I learned from forum member T-Mar back when I first got it in 2006.

Most of the original parts I still have, but they were all cheap and heavy chromed-steel Shimano parts and I've been slowly upgrading it with period-correct alloy Suntour Cyclone components, the last hold outs being the cranks, but I've got a set that I'm working on fixing up to put on it.
Most recently got a NOS Suntour cable guide for down by the BB which got the last Shimano part off and completed the set.
Fighting the rust progression on the frame has been a losing battle, it's been becoming more and more a candidate for repainting. I had put it in storage for a few years while I recovered from a bad shoulder injury and although it was not directly in the weather the storage was not climate controlled and was home to many local rodents whom did not care to be careful of the paint. The mess they left really took its toll on the finish.

The rims are fairly modern alloy 27" and I recently put new Tektro brake levers on it - the only thing I've never really enjoyed on vintage bikes is the big brake loops out the top and the small gripping surface on the hoods. They always get caught on things and other bikes in a dense rack so those and the pedals with plastic clips are my two modern concessions.
This week I replaced the saddle with a Brooks B17, cleaned up the frame as much as I could without taking off any more paint, gave it a thorough once-over with polishing compound and then coated the whole thing in several coats of Future Wax which brought back some of the colour and hopefully protects the rust and stickers for a while longer.

Fork and headset is from a 1979 Raleigh Grand Prix of the same size. I have repaired the original one that belongs to this bike (had a stuck stem, removal of it inadvertently also removed all of the paint) and I'm currently repainting it. Once that is done, I'll be swapping the forks and installing a new headset

Comparing this frame to the Grand Prix, I have to say that Sekine Canada had some top-notch craftspeople working there compared to Raleigh Canada at the same time. The lugs, while not fancy, are meticulously brazed with not a bit of errant brass on the Sekine. The Raleigh on the other hand has some hideously careless brazing work in many places despite being a more expensive bicycle.
The frame has eyelets in the back for both a rack and a fender as well (Grand Prix only has fender mounts) but these days I've taken those accessories off - this bike is now for fair-weather fun rides only since I have other bikes now and its a blast to ride without all that extra weight.
The Cyclone RD is hands down my favourite non-indexed derailleur I've ever used, smooth as butter shifting all day long.

(Edit: It occurs to me that the frame may have been made in Japan and the bicycle was merely assembled in Canada, which may explain the quality difference from the Raleigh but I'm going from memory so don't quote me on that)

Last edited by Novakane; 09-17-22 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-26-22, 05:28 PM
robobike316 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
70's Lygie

TA triple,Super Record with Rally cage, Chris King headset, mustache bars with barcons, Mavic MA-2 rims,Normandy hubs with grease fittings added and Campy cones, Blackburn front and rear racks, Super Record seatpost, Avocet womens touring seat, Mafac levers with Weinemann sidepulls, old headlight fitted with 12 volt halogen, painted 20 years ago with Ford Grey engine enamal and due for some new paint soon!

Likes For robobike316:
Old 11-13-22, 10:15 PM
Prunesquallor

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710 resto-modded to 1x11 townie, 1987 Bianchi Brava resto-modded to 1x11 fitness/events

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 17 Posts
This bike started life as a 1987 black Bianchi Brava, rescued from a friend’s garage. I’ve got a workout/events bike, so I thought I’d build it into a casual “urban”. Frame and forks were in great shape, but paint was iffy, so had them PC’d. I kept the original headset, BB, seatpost and brakes. New wheels, stem, bars, 1x11 drivetrain. To move the chainline out, I substituted a “D-3A” spindle in the BB.

Build notes
Headset, brakes, BB, crank: Shimano 1050 (105)
Bars: VO Milan
Levers: Shimano R780
Shifter: Shimano RS700
Cassette: 11-34 11sp
Chainring: Wolf Tooth 44T
Wheels: Shimano RS300 (105)
Brooks saddle and grips
Nitto Big Back Rack

Stem is temporary until I get the bar positioning squared away.

Last edited by Prunesquallor; 11-13-22 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-16-22, 11:55 AM
striker_dj

Bikes: Giant Stance, Fuji Tahoe, Bridgestone MB-2, Miyata Triple-Cross, Specialized Sequoia, Gary Fisher Marlin, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
I found this 1989 Miyata Tripe Cross on OfferUp a couple months ago.

It took a lot of work, some new spokes, tires, chain, cables and housing, brakes, and saddle. Now it is quickly becoming one of my favorite bikes.
Likes For striker_dj:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.