Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

In your opinion, what is the best looking rear derailer?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

In your opinion, what is the best looking rear derailer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-21, 06:45 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Originally Posted by kcjc
My favorite also. I also like the simplicity Mavic. Dura Ace 7400 & Suntour Superbe Pro is up there also.

I got one of those when I my Nuovo Record RD went into my spokes one day and it was all I felt I could afford. Worked better, if anything, and looking at it now, it’s sort of cool. Just killed me that it didn’t match the rest of the group, though.
Old 08-12-21, 07:29 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
What a blast from the past, I can't believe how many of these beauties that I owned at one point. The Superb was a very underrated product, it shifted incredibly well in its era and was elegant.
Heck, they shift incredibly well today. So well, in fact, that if I'm building a friction-shift bike, I'm using a Suntour Superbe / Superbe Pro or a Cyclone unless I've got a really good reason not to. The 1980 Superbe that I posted above is shifting a 45/42/30 x 14-26 half-step triple. Despite totally blowing past Suntour's 23T max cog / 22T chainwrap specs, (I'm at 26/27,) it shifts beautifully, solid thunk every time... even with the not-great OEM LePree levers.

--Shannon
Old 08-12-21, 09:41 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
SRAM: "am I a yoke to you?"
Old 08-13-21, 01:55 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Interesting thread, proving that beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder. Aesthetics are important to me and I wouldn't have anything I feel is downright ugly, no matter how well it performs. For that reason I wouldn't put a Shimano Ultegra crankset on my bike, and the current Campagnolo offering is only marginally better. Cranksets used to have a lovely organic feel to them whereas the current bunch just look horribly utilitarian. My SRAM Force crankset is only marginally better, but bearable.

As it happens, though, I do like the appearance of the Force rear derailleur, particularly the darker gray of the 11-speed one.
Old 08-20-21, 10:17 AM
Raiden

Bikes: A little of everything

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Interesting thread, proving that beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder.
It really is. Personally, (with risk of tainting the thread with my opinion) my preference is along the lines of the chromed, rounded Shimano models (or maybe the C Record, but from an angle where it doesn't just look simply like a shiny silver rock) but there are definitely some variation, between the vintage suggestions, to the modern brutalism of Rotors hydraulic RD or the no frills (aside from some fun ano) Paul model.
Old 08-20-21, 10:50 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Shimano 600 'Arabesque' is my favourite.

I also like Campy Athena and Chorus from a few years back.
Old 08-20-21, 12:48 PM
sincos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
OK my 2c.

Most elegant: Suntour Superbe Pro, Huret Jubilee
Coolest: Sanko Procyon, Huret Duopar
Class of one: Nuovo/Super Record

Ugliest: Huret Duopar, those pastel Ofmega Mistral things ...

Runners up: Alloy Chorus/Record/Athena (elegant); Mavic SSC (cool -- like a modern Procyon), Huret Svelto (minimalist cool/totally hideous)
Old 08-20-21, 11:53 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Lots of cool eye candy here. I think the Campagnolo Gran Turismo is pretty cool looking. I've heard bad things about them, but this one never have me any trouble.
Old 08-21-21, 05:26 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
You guys already picked all of my favorites:
1st gen C-Record. No name, just the Campy shield and an absurd amount of polishing.
Mavic 851 which looks like something out of a Georges Melier film or steampunk anime.
Huret Jubilee which is probably the most minimalist design ever and apparently still worked well (for the time)
Dura-Ace 7800 which is the best. group. ever.
Black and gold Superb Pro which was light years ahead of the competition when released and might be the best made RD of all time

I'll add two others:
The inanely early 90s Shimano Sante which was kind of poseur-ish back in the day but had 9 speed before Dura Ace and worked well:

And from the same period the Precision Billet Proshift which is emblematic of the same CNC machining fad that resulted in the Paul above.

Last edited by Hiro11; 08-21-21 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-21-21, 11:52 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

I always liked this one
Old 08-21-21, 02:14 PM
ShannonM

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
The inanely early 90s Shimano Sante which was kind of poseur-ish back in the day but had 9 speed before Dura Ace and worked well:
I thought Sante came out in '88 and was gone by 1990 or so? Also, that's the only medium cage Sante I've ever seen. I had no idea such a thing existed! Pretty little thang, ain't it? I'd want one, except that it'd probably cost more than whatever bike I put it on.

I always thought the best looking part of the whole Sante group was the shift levers.

--Shannon
Old 08-22-21, 07:25 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Be practical. Forget beauty, go with the one that shifts best.