Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

best way for my dinky granddaughter to ride with us?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

best way for my dinky granddaughter to ride with us?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-21, 01:52 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
she has learned to ride but going to be awhile before she can do it herself on the road. grandpa is pretty impressed she learned to ride before she was 4. so her balance bike was worth the money and the smallest trek bike they make was well worth it too. but as you say who knows what kids will want to do? but I think she will like the Weehoo better then the trailer. we ride about 200 miles a week but its hard to get my daughter to ride much.
Old 08-21-21, 02:00 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
ya I had thought of the weight. Burley makes a rack mount hitch for their tag along bike so it may be ok. but they don't sell it separately and it really needs their rack to do it. we will pick it up today and I will leave the rack on and see. too bad my wife is not taller. but we ride our tandem pretty much every day and may use the tag along a few times a week. We always bring a pannier when we ride to carry stuff. so I need to work out the most practical way to do it.
I have everything it takes to make the original Burley Moose racks. But, I don't have a Piccolo adapter.

The old style racks appear to be very sturdy. They've made a few design changes for he newer racks, but they appear to be good racks.
Old 08-21-21, 04:47 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
why not just put her in a frame mounted kid seat on the back seat tube of the tandem? if she’s less than 30lb, lots of good lightweight choices.

she might also enjoy an up front seat, if she’s big enough to ride a bike herself she’s definitely big enough to sit in a mac-ride. really cool having the little ones right up front with you!
Old 08-21-21, 05:20 PM
fooferdoggie 

well we got it and it was fine till we plopped her into it and took off we found the bar hitting the fender. so two choices get rid of the suspension seat post or mount on the rack with a bracket. I will get a seat post and see if grandma can handle riding without the expensive seat post. if not I will ahve to maybe ro a rack mount thing.

Old 08-21-21, 05:57 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've tried a lot of things for riding with my kids.

Kid seats only get you about two years, ages 1-3. I like them better than trailers because the trailer is like towing a parachute but the trailer does not upset the bike so much and worked a lot better with twins. We had to give up early on the twin trailer though because the boy twin is just huge for his age - about a year bigger in fact.

We did a tandem kidback / child stoker setup. There were three main problems. First was that the manufacturer of my tandem was defunct and their specific kit was not available, leading to some assembly issues. The one that I found had a 36t chain ring so I could not use the original stoker crank which was 130 bcd and only fits 39t rings, so I had to find a 110 bcd stoker crank and then rings for it. Couldn't just do the left side arm either because hey did you know the widely available Sugino cranks have the square taper holes at 45 degrees to the crank but discontinued Truvativ Stylo was 90 degrees? Now you know. Chain line on the left side was then kind of a mess. The second issue was fit - the crank arms were 127 mm long which is about right for a 6yo who would normally be starting to ride a 20" wheel bike. Could find some 4 inch square taper cranks and then reverse them, right? The pedals might not unscrew themselves. And the third was anxiousness. My oldest kid did not like being up so high, and as he gets bigger you adjust the seat higher and higher. He also had a tendency to spitefully backpedal and derail one or the other of the timing chains. The twins have had zero interest in it. So ultimately I gave up on fixing all the problems. The tandem has been sitting deep in the garage waiting for a return to stock to be sold.

Right now we have an Adams trail-a-bike. This is a rugged if not fancy piece of kit but again it has the issue of the 5 inch cranks. The 4yo boy twin is fine on it. The 4yogirl twin, who is the right size for a 16er bike, just won't fit yet. And funny thing, she can ride her single and he can't. So that would work, except that she wants to ride along on the back too...

One thing you can do is slow yourself down. When my twins were on balance bikes it worked pretty well for me to ride a longboard to the park with them.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-21-21 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-21-21, 06:19 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

cyccommute what are you doing there for the kid stoker handlebar? Is that a tri bar on backward?
Old 08-21-21, 06:22 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

fooferdoggie maybe you go for a less-premium suspension seat post that runs straight and doesn't need all that stack for the linkage. Leave the clamp and a fatter seat on that one and swap it in when the kid is visiting. Remember you are not getting married to this stuff, you are using it occasionally for a few years tops unless you are expecting more grandkids
Old 08-21-21, 07:06 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
well we got it and it was fine till we plopped her into it and took off we found the bar hitting the fender. so two choices get rid of the suspension seat post or mount on the rack with a bracket. I will get a seat post and see if grandma can handle riding without the expensive seat post. if not I will ahve to maybe ro a rack mount thing.

Oh!!!

So, which is going away? Suspension seat, or fender?

The Moose racks seem like very good racks. But, I've had troubles finding the bike trailer adapters. Perhaps a bike shop would be better at finding them.
Old 08-21-21, 08:07 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Oh!!!

So, which is going away? Suspension seat, or fender?

The Moose racks seem like very good racks. But, I've had troubles finding the bike trailer adapters. Perhaps a bike shop would be better at finding them.
right now the seat post. but I can buy another seat if my wife cant live without the suspension post on our regular rides then I can jsut swap the whole thing using a stop coller to position them easily. I found a seat post to test. got to have the fender it's portland and it rains a lot .now to test if the rack will fit with the new post. the newest model has a more curved arm
Old 08-21-21, 08:42 PM
NRissy
Bike-train

Bikes: Santana Encore Tandem, Trek 3900, Marin MTB, Marin Road bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Well, what you need depending on your riding ability, your granddaughters needs, and how much you are going to realistically use it.
I started with a trailer. I personally don't like the little carriers mounted to the bike. So I have always had my boys in a trailer.
Two years ago I bought a wee-ride copilot and used it a lot for 18 months with the last year having his 2 year old brother tagging along.
This spring I purchased a tandem and got a child stoker kit. Now I ride a tandem with a trailer with my 3 year old son inside.
In 18 months I plan on having my oldest son on the tandem with me, my middle son on the wee-ride copilot in the middle and my 4 month old son will be two so he will be in the rear in the trailer (don't worry; I will only use that set up on dedicated bike trail and low used residential neighborhoods)
Attached are photos of the wee-ride & trailer set up from last fall and the tandem & trailer set up from this summer

Tandem

Wee-ride
Old 08-21-21, 09:15 PM
fooferdoggie 

I hope to use it a fair amount a few times a week. but you never know. I would not trust having a child on the tandem with me like in those front seats trying hold all that weight and my wife could get tricky sometimes its hard to keep her upright when she leans wrong when I have my foot down and I am not getting younger.
So with a regular seat post and a little rack adjustment I got it. there only thing I cant have my garmin radar mounted I ahve to turn the mount down. but I can get an adaptor to mount it on the weehoo. if my wife cant handle a non suspension seat post on our regular rides I will buy her another seat so its a fast switch. I think she will enjoy riding more if she can peddle and is not so enclosed.

Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 08-21-21, 09:34 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by shrimp123
first suggestion : chariot type "covered" trailer
second suggestion : sitting type (with buckles) add-on like cyccommute suggested
IF (a big IF) she is used to riding at faster paces and can hold herself over bumps and other things the rear seat of tandem throws at her, and is OK not being in control, you can try a tandem.

our daughter learnt cycling early and she was riding 20miles when she was 4 (i know, everyone is proud of the the even moles on children).... but, when she rode the tandem with me when she was 4, within five minutes, she said she does not like it and is scared that she has no control over what happens and sometimes cant hear what i am trying to communicate - fair point, i thought. Later, when she was 8, she was very happy to be on the tandem as it extended our range.
my daughter and hubby could not cycle 20 miles but are in the middle of the city and its not practical for her ride with us till she is more skilled. my daughter has a car but we are bike only.
Old 08-21-21, 09:40 PM
CliffordK

I haven't used a suspension seat, but I'm curious what one of these Brooks Clones would be like.

https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Saddl.../dp/B081Q5CVZF

You'd have to go with a swaged top straight post.
Old 08-21-21, 09:44 PM
fooferdoggie 

I haven't used a suspension seat, but I'm curious what one of these Brooks Clones would be like.

https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Saddl.../dp/B081Q5CVZF

You'd have to go with a swaged top straight post.
they are not bad. on my commuter e bike it helps especially in winter as the road can beat me up. 20+mph makes for a harsh road. but I tried it on the captain and I was bouncing around with the same post and seat on my commuter. my wife really had tailbone issues when we started so she really needed it. I cant imagine sitting on such a large seat unless your full upright.
Old 08-21-21, 10:19 PM
CliffordK

I see you got the rack back on, with rather tight clearance.

Here is this Gorix, that essentially replaces the saddle rails with a spring. Cute concept. Longer rails for more spring, shorter for less spring.

https://www.amazon.com/GORIX-Saddle-.../dp/B088R7BLB3

Unfortunately that would likely give you your fender clearance, but not the rack clearance.

Here is someone who fabbed up a rack mount for the Weehoo.

https://bikepackingwithafamily.wordp...adding-a-rack/

https://bikepackingwithafamily.wordp...adding-a-rack/
Old 08-21-21, 10:36 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Would a habit of calling out even slight bumps as captain help reduce the need for a suspension seatpost? I find in low visibility conditions minor pavement blips can be annoying, vs if I spot them I just get more weight on my legs and they're a non issue.

Probably wouldn't work since the trailer isn't there all the time, but in theory some sort of fender could go on the trailer arm instead. Alternate with a post mount temporary fender?

​​​​​​
Old 08-21-21, 11:51 PM
CliffordK

In theory one could re-arch the connector tube to give you more clearance. If one found the right parts and tools, it would be an easy job.

There is a cheap Weehoo here in Eugene, but it appears as if they changed the tubing design between this one that has square base tubes, and yours that is round, so it wouldn't make a good pattern.
https://eugene.craigslist.org/bik/d/...349726169.html

It looks like the Piccolo likes the rack connection. There is a cheap one up in Portland. I don't see the rack in the ad. I have the rack (plus everything to make more racks), but not the Piccolo.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...366640298.html

If you bought a Piccolo, it would be good to have in a couple of years.
Old 08-22-21, 08:04 AM
fooferdoggie 

In theory one could re-arch the connector tube to give you more clearance. If one found the right parts and tools, it would be an easy job.

There is a cheap Weehoo here in Eugene, but it appears as if they changed the tubing design between this one that has square base tubes, and yours that is round, so it wouldn't make a good pattern.
https://eugene.craigslist.org/bik/d/...349726169.html

It looks like the Piccolo likes the rack connection. There is a cheap one up in Portland. I don't see the rack in the ad. I have the rack (plus everything to make more racks), but not the Piccolo.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...366640298.html

If you bought a Piccolo, it would be good to have in a couple of years.
that would be cheap but it got it worked out now. it would be so many years before she was ready this kid is a slow grower.
Old 08-22-21, 07:58 PM
fooferdoggie 

after our 45 miles ride we took her on a short ride we were tired she had a blast. (she wore a helmet)

Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 08-22-21, 10:29 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
This a system that is common in Europe. Mom can put her daughter's bike's front wheel in the carrier to get them to the trail or help out when the girl gets tired. When it is OK for the kid to ride, it is easy to unhitch the bike.

Old 08-22-21, 11:44 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
This may be child endangerment, but it's interesting.

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/...bike-gif-86817
Old 08-23-21, 07:29 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Doug64
This a system that is common in Europe. Mom can put her daughter's bike's front wheel in the carrier to get them to the trail or help out when the girl gets tired. When it is OK for the kid to ride, it is easy to unhitch the bike.
Ya I found one that would work but the cost was 350.00 plus she is so young I don't trust her balance yet.
Old 08-23-21, 01:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
So much going on- tandem, ebike, weehoo trailer- thats complex. Cool that you are dedicated to making it all work.
Old 08-23-21, 03:24 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts

barely 5yo, and not yet 8. Captain is ageless with his kids.
Old 08-23-21, 09:17 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
So much going on- tandem, ebike, weehoo trailer- thats complex. Cool that you are dedicated to making it all work.
ya go it all working and the wife is ok without the suspension seat post. but the e tandem lets us go father because we can go faster and we can climb hills that are almost impossible on a tandem. when we cruise at 18.5mph we are only using 7 to 9 watts per mile. we have climbed 20% grades. did one over the yesterday and just made it. se even pulled the trailer up the 20% grade.