Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Noob Question! Derailleur pivot?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-21, 09:02 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

Bikes: Apollo something, 1983 Bianchi Super, Specialized Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts

I noticed my derailleur wasn’t moving on this pivot. The bolt was really tight, borderline about to snap off when I tried to loosen it. So I loosen it up 2 turns, hit it with some WD-40, (no time to take apart tonight) then tightened up figuring it would have a shoulder on it that would allow me to tighten and still allow the derailleur to move. When I tighten fully, the derailleur stops pivoting and the chain skips on the smallest cog. When I back off the bolt the chain stops skipping but I’m worried it’s going to loosen up too much.

Could it be there’s just a bunch of crud inside that I’ve got to clean out properly? Thanks for reading !

Old 09-09-21, 12:35 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
That's happened to me a few times on lower level bikes without an on-frame derailleur hanger. I used an ample amount of blue Loctite on the hanger bolt threads and tightened it as much as I could while still allowing the derailleur to pivot. Maybe not the best solution, but it worked for my use.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-09-21, 05:53 AM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

this is a great idea I’ve got some blue Loctite I can do this. But I’m wondering shouldn’t the bolt be shouldered, so that if it gets overtightened it doesn’t bind the derailleur? Then I’m wondering how it would provide a consistent tension maybe it would need one of those spring washers behind it and washer. Just hypothesising here!

Damn this stuff is FUN! 😀
(not being sarcastic I really enjoy discussing and working on them.)

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
That's happened to me a few times on lower level bikes without an on-frame derailleur hanger. I used an ample amount of blue Loctite on the hanger bolt threads and tightened it as much as I could while still allowing the derailleur to pivot. Maybe not the best solution, but it worked for my use.
Old 09-09-21, 05:58 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Is there a lock nut on the back of the claw? If so, all you have to do is adjust the bolt so that the derailleur swings freelt and tighten the nut
Old 09-09-21, 06:04 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by Amelio
I noticed my derailleur wasn’t moving on this pivot.
You have two options:

Some pivot bolts have an arrangement of a shoulder on the bolt and a shim (or multiple shims) such that the body will pivot when the bolt is tight.

Other pivot bolts have a thin locknut which screws onto the pivot bolt on the inner face of the hanger - you adjust the bolt for freedom and lock it there.

If your pivot bolt extends a few threads on the inner face when it is tight you need a locknut; one from a rear QR axle should work, and this is the simplest and easiest solution.

If your pivot bolt is not long enough *and* it will seat on a shoulder when tight it is possible to remove sufficient material from the derailleur body to allow free movement; to do this properly will take skill, or a machine tool, or luck.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 09-09-21, 12:53 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

One more question about this old Apollo? When I'm in the high gear (smallest) in rear, the chain skips like a flat stone across a smooth lake. The worst is small/small (I know I shouldn't use that combo) but big/small does about the same, it's really annoying!

I've:
  • removed a link from the chain as it was really lose in small/small. Now it fits better but still skips
  • I freed up the derailleur pivot so it can rotate. I haven't locktited it yet but at least it's moving
It's a new chain that came with the bike. Is it possible it's the different pitched chain or something?
The sprockets all look pretty good, I can't see much wear. Pls see pic above. Thanks everyone!
Old 09-09-21, 12:59 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
One more question about this old Apollo? When I'm in the high gear (smallest) in rear, the chain skips like a flat stone across a smooth lake. The worst is small/small (I know I shouldn't use that combo) but big/small does about the same, it's really annoying!

I've:
  • removed a link from the chain as it was really lose in small/small. Now it fits better but still skips
  • I freed up the derailleur pivot so it can rotate. I haven't locktited it yet but at least it's moving
It's a new chain that came with the bike. Is it possible it's the different pitched chain or something?
The sprockets all look pretty good, I can't see much wear. Pls see pic above. Thanks everyone!
It could be dropout alignment, but the first thing I would try is to slightly let out the limit screw a 1/4 turn at a time to see if it just needs to swing out a teensy bit more.
Old 09-09-21, 01:56 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

That's a good idea for sure. it seems the 'ol friction shifter will swing the derailleur out way past the small cog, so I don't think it's that. I actually thought it was trying to pull it off the gear, so I backed off the shifter until the chain/derailleur/sprocket all lined up, but then she skips like a mother....

Originally Posted by noobinsf
It could be dropout alignment, but the first thing I would try is to slightly let out the limit screw a 1/4 turn at a time to see if it just needs to swing out a teensy bit more.
Old 09-09-21, 02:09 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
One more question about this old Apollo? When I'm in the high gear (smallest) in rear, the chain skips...
What exactly do you mean by "skip"?

Does the chain try to move to a different cog? Or does it stay on the same cog but every now and again link entering the cog at the bottom rides up on the tips of the teeth instead of settling to the valley between them, causing the chain to "jump" forward when the extra link arrives at the top of and is released from the cog?

If the former, adjust the derailleur.
If the latter, get new chain and/or cogs, whichever is worn.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 09-09-21, 02:13 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

The chain stays on the smallest cog and jumps/skips teeth, it's really an unsettling sound. I think the former owner did a new chain to solve this issue but it didn't help. It's a new chain, with a pretty new looking cassette/freewheel, whatever that gear cluster is called.

Originally Posted by oneclick
What exactly do you mean by "skip"?

Does the chain try to move to a different cog? Or does it stay on the same cog but every now and again link entering the cog at the bottom rides up on the tips of the teeth instead of settling to the valley between them, causing the chain to "jump" forward when the extra link arrives at the top of and is released from the cog?

If the former, adjust the derailleur.
If the latter, get new chain and/or cogs, whichever is worn.
Old 09-09-21, 05:11 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
The chain stays on the smallest cog and jumps/skips teeth, it's really an unsettling sound. I think the former owner did a new chain to solve this issue but it didn't help. It's a new chain, with a pretty new looking cassette/freewheel, whatever that gear cluster is called.
This is actually a common problem that occurs when the cogs are worn, and/or when there is not enough chain wrap around the cogs. A new chain can sometimes make the problem worse because the cogs that were worn out as a result of running an old stretched out chain will no longer mesh with the new properly spaced chain links. It could also be that your initial issue (improperly installed upper pivot bolt) is partly causing this problem due to insufficient chain wrap as a result of the derailleur body being too far back. One more thing...is the chain too Long? Check it based on Sheldon's method: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/deraile...ent.html#chain
Old 09-09-21, 05:49 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
I noticed my derailleur wasn’t moving on this pivot. The bolt was really tight, borderline about to snap off when I tried to loosen it. So I loosen it up 2 turns, hit it with some WD-40, (no time to take apart tonight) then tightened up figuring it would have a shoulder on it that would allow me to tighten and still allow the derailleur to move. When I tighten fully, the derailleur stops pivoting and the chain skips on the smallest cog. When I back off the bolt the chain stops skipping but I’m worried it’s going to loosen up too much.

Could it be there’s just a bunch of crud inside that I’ve got to clean out properly? Thanks for reading !

This RD may not be designed to 'pivot' like the Shimanos ... This may follow the design of Suntour RDs, which had a fixed pentagraph body. The mounting bolt should always ben tightened, not left 'loose'. Suntour type RDs were adjusted with the B screw to provide a consistent spacing from the jockey cage/wheel to each cog on the freewheel (cassette).
Chain skipping...
Often the problem ... - cross-chaining - running the chain from Large Chainring to Large rear cog, or Small chainring to small cog... more of a problem on older 5-6-7 spd setups, less issue on the modern, more flexible systems and more flexible chains.
either or both limit screws need adjustment
worn cog - if its the smallest or least used, not likely a problem...
bent or excessively worn cog teeth...
stretched chain - you say its new - I would still check chain ... Or chain is stiff and needs cleaning...
chain link/links are stiff and need some loosening of the tight link plates.
axle/freewheel alignment
RD jockey cage assembly may be out of alignment
check the limit screw settings first...
This is all for old school friction shift systems - there are additional considerations for the newer indexed/Brifter systems...
Thx
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 09-10-21, 10:38 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
I'm going to piggback on this thread, as I am running into a similar issue.
I am trying to replace a Suntour Superbe with a Suntour Cyclone GT.

The Superbe does pivot, as there is just enough material sticking out from the back of the mounting bolt to allow the derailleur to pivot. There is no "b screw", just a fixed stop.
The Cyclone is a different story. There is a nut that screws onto the mounting bolt. Even if I leave the nut "loose" on the bolt, the nut gets tightened onto the bolt as the bolt is screwed into the dropout. When tightened the derailleur will not pivot (without excessive force). This derailleur has a "b screw" for adjusting the derailleur body. The nut also provides clearance so that the derailleur body does not seat up directly against the dropout.

So, I am at a loss as to what to do. Is it as simple as the GT is not supposed to pivot after adjusting the "b screw" and fully tightnening the mounting nut? I don't really see a way to keep the nut from tightening everything up when screwing in the mounting bolt.

Any help would be appreciated. I've been fighting with this (physically and mentally) for a couple days.
Hopefully these pics might help figure this out.

The dropout on the frame:

The Superbe I want to replace:

The Cyclone GT I am trying to install:

ah... yes, the Superbe was designed to work with short range freewheels only, very short jockey cage assembly... hence no need for B screw...
barely works with a 25, best for biggest cog of 21 - 23... a racing RD... back in the day...
your Cyclone...
The 'Nut' on the mounting bolt - Not needed on a dropout with the RD mount integrated with dropout - most better bikes, from 1974-ish and newer LOL!
That would be the Bike/dropout in your images...
The "Nut' was supplied in case the RD was to be installed on bikes which need a RD mounting plate - see image the OP Amilio - supplied... that bike requires the mounting plate.
In your case, just mount the RD and tighten to the dropout.... done... then do the B Screw adjustment as needed.
Edit: And the nut, when placed on the inside of the mounting bolt (dropout side...) , allows the proper gap to the drop, especially for Ultra7 freewheels, and works for cassettes...

Last edited by cyclezen; 09-10-21 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-10-21, 01:23 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
I'm going to piggback on this thread, as I am running into a similar issue.
I am trying to replace a Suntour Superbe with a Suntour Cyclone GT.

The Superbe does pivot, as there is just enough material sticking out from the back of the mounting bolt to allow the derailleur to pivot. There is no "b screw", just a fixed stop.
The Cyclone is a different story. There is a nut that screws onto the mounting bolt. Even if I leave the nut "loose" on the bolt, the nut gets tightened onto the bolt as the bolt is screwed into the dropout. When tightened the derailleur will not pivot (without excessive force). This derailleur has a "b screw" for adjusting the derailleur body. The nut also provides clearance so that the derailleur body does not seat up directly against the dropout.

So, I am at a loss as to what to do. Is it as simple as the GT is not supposed to pivot after adjusting the "b screw" and fully tightnening the mounting nut? I don't really see a way to keep the nut from tightening everything up when screwing in the mounting bolt.

Any help would be appreciated. I've been fighting with this (physically and mentally) for a couple days.
It may be missing a thin shim (washer) behind the nut but no larger in diameter than the shoulder of the bolt. I think the (slotted) nut should be fully tightened to the bolt while still allowing the derailleur body to freely pivot. Then when the mounting bolt is tightened to the dropout, the (slotted) nut being already tightened against the shoulder of the bolt with a shim of the required thickness, wont allow it to get any tighter, and the derailleur should still pivot freely.

Clarification: The slotted nut is recessed into the body of the derailleur. Not referring to a nut that locks the adjustment for a non-integrqated hanger & tightens against the backside of the hanger..

Last edited by Hobbiano; 09-10-21 at 06:31 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-10-21, 04:07 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
While that looks like a AR here is the ARX manual.

​​​​​​https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site...83_scan_9.html
Old 09-10-21, 04:20 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I'm with cyclezen.

I experimented with various ways to mount the Cyclone GT (with and without the nut, not tightening the der to the dropout so it could pivot) when I went from an Ultra-6 to a 7 speed freewheel. It worked perfectly for years on the Ultra-6 but missed shifts between the 3rd and 4th cogs (20 teeth to 18) frequently with the 7 speed. If I left any play between the frame and the der, every shift was annoying, not just some of the shifts between 2 gears. I had the same problem with a V-GT Luxe, by the way..