Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

wearing a hydration pack while bikepacking

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

wearing a hydration pack while bikepacking

Old 09-06-21, 03:58 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
chuckle.
at least you are getting some good points to push you in one direction or another!
You got that right!
Old 09-12-21, 08:12 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
...whatever works for the individual...

You say you are using a 100oz camelback. That's over 6lbs of static weight. I would rather not have that on my back, hour after hour day after day.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree with the first statement.

Regarding the second statement...Most people will drink more often when wearing a hydration pack so 6 lbs. of static weight hour after hour, day by day will only occur if you don't drink at all. Actually, as you tire, you'll drink more and the more you drink, the lighter the pack gets...seems to make sense.
Old 09-13-21, 05:07 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK

You say you are using a 100oz camelback. That's over 6lbs of static weight. I would rather not have that on my back, hour after hour day after day.
FWIW, your math is pretty fuzzy. Yes it is over 6 pounds, but WAY over. 100 fluid ounces is over a gallon and a half (1.5625 to be exact). A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds so 100 ounces of water weighs a hair over 13 pounds. (Edited to say "ignore my stupid mistake")

Personally I think that is fine under some circumstances where the advantages are sufficient to justify the weight on the back, but figured the correction was worth making lest someone make the choice based on incorrect info.

For me it can be worth it for long days in the desert with 100 F heat if the camelback is filled with ice and I get the cooling effect of melting ice all day. For most general use I don't care for them.

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-13-21 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-13-21, 05:17 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by MAK

You say you are using a 100oz camelback. That's over 6lbs of static weight. I would rather not have that on my back, hour after hour day after day.

I absolutely agree with the first statement.

Regarding the second statement...Most people will drink more often when wearing a hydration pack so 6 lbs. of static weight hour after hour, day by day will only occur if you don't drink at all. Actually, as you tire, you'll drink more and the more you drink, the lighter the pack gets...seems to make sense.
Hmmm. Since the actual weight of 100 ounces of water is 13 pounds the average weight on the back is probably fairly close to 6 pounds if you start with a full or near full pack and drink it all or at least most of it. I guess it would actually be a bit more since you likely won't empty it dry and a typical 100oz hydration pack weighs something like 1 lb 6 oz empty. (edited to say "please ignore my stupid error")

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-13-21 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-13-21, 07:52 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
FWIW, your math is pretty fuzzy. Yes it is over 6 pounds, but WAY over. 100 fluid ounces is over a gallon and a half (1.5625 to be exact).
A fluid ounce is a unit of volume, not weight. One fluid ounce of water does not weigh exactly one ounce (thanks, Imperial system). A gallon displaces 128 fluid ounces, but a gallon of water weighs 133 oz.

A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds so 100 ounces of water weighs a hair over 13 pounds.
There are 16 ounces in a pound. 100 ounces/(16 oz/lb) = 6.25 lb
Old 09-13-21, 08:01 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by adamrice
A fluid ounce is a unit of volume, not weight. One fluid ounce of water does not weigh exactly one ounce (thanks, Imperial system). A gallon displaces 128 fluid ounces, but a gallon of water weighs 133 oz.

There are 16 ounces in a pound. 100 ounces/(16 oz/lb) = 6.25 lb
My math was incorrect as I accidentally based it on 64 ounces being a gallon. Dumb mistake, too early in the morning. I stand corrected.
Old 09-13-21, 08:23 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Could have gone either way. I just thought of ounces as weight and extrapolated 16/pound. Didn't even consider fluid volume at all
Old 09-13-21, 12:53 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
cyccommute
I have one of the 100oz military Camelbaks It has the insulation even around the tube. I have had it for over a decade. I don't have any problems with the weight either.
Old 09-13-21, 01:56 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
All you imperialists, just use litres and grams, it would all be so much simpler.
seriously though, I've totally lost my ounces stuff and always find it confusing when folks describe x camping gear in ounces...
And yet, still haven't picked up on bar tire pressure and only understand psi.....
Old 09-13-21, 04:00 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by djb
All you imperialists, just use litres and grams, it would all be so much simpler.
seriously though, I've totally lost my ounces stuff and always find it confusing when folks describe x camping gear in ounces...
And yet, still haven't picked up on bar tire pressure and only understand psi.....

I'm a 57 yo Canuck and can think in metric for everything except temperature. For the life of me I can't stop my brain from picturing the weather in Fahrenheit.
Old 09-13-21, 04:34 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Yea, that’s not going happen. I’m amazed we don’t use “cubits” down here based on the arguments used against the metric system

Well if you are going to be all Système international (d'unités), “bar” isn’t the measurement you use. You use Pascals (N/m2).

“Bar” is atmospheric pressure or 14 psi/atmosphere. 100 psi~7 atmosphere or about 7 bar. Of course, that assumes sea level. Up here at around 1600 meters, our “atmospheric pressure” is 80% of that of sea level.

Pascals are harder to use (and wrap your head around) because there are just so many of them. One standard atmosphere (14 psi) is 96,500 pascals. 100 psi is 675,000 pascal. Even if you convert it to kilo pascals (kpa), that 675 kpa which is still hard to think about. Even professionally, few people use pascals.

Originally Posted by Happy Feet

I'm a 57 yo Canuck and can think in metric for everything except temperature. For the life of me I can't stop my brain from picturing the weather in Fahrenheit.
I had to be a metric interpreter on a VBT Bike and Barge tour I did several years ago. They gave us queue sheets for directions. There wasn’t a map, just a list of directions. The sheets would say “0.1: Turn left” or “1.3: turn right”. Each direction might have a street name but many didn’t. All the ‘Mericans would look at the sheet and say (out loud) “Oh, that’s a tenth of a mile” or “that’s 1.3 miles.” I have to constantly remind them that 0.1 was a tenth of a kilometer or about a city block or, more practically, “Right now!”

I had to interpret from metric to imperial (really just ‘Merican now) for the Dutch guides. They couldn’t wrap their heads around temperature in Fahrenheit (nor could the ‘Mericans think in Celsius). I explained that 20°C is room temperature and body temperature is 37°C.

Luckily we never had to deal with volume or pressure.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 09-13-21 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-13-21, 04:35 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Happy Feet

Same aged Canuck that can only think of my height in feet and inches, so there you go, we are a mixed up bunch.
I think we've had this discussion before, but I'll always remember the first time I rode a motorcycle at 100mph, a real milestone.
Old 09-13-21, 05:19 PM
djb

Cycco, I've known a number of Pascals and Pascales. Very nice people.
Old 09-14-21, 07:57 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
It just occurred to me that 1 bar is 14 psi, and 1 stone is 14 lb, so 1 stone per square inch is 1 bar.

Mind blown
Old 09-14-21, 08:39 AM
Happy Feet

All good arguments for being assimilated into the Borg

The only reason I know Bars is because I scuba dive. We still use psi but I can think in Bars if I have to.

I've always appreciated the water connection to metric as a way of making sense of the measurements - there! tied the segue back to the topic
Old 09-15-21, 10:12 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
I often make use of a 2L Camelbak when the bulk of my tour is going to be in very hot and humid environments and or the distance between available water refills can be so great, as was the case this summer touring Nebraska ( silly me, I didn't realize it could be so hot and arid there). One thing for sure is I tend to drink more when wearing a Camelbak because it is so easy to catch a sip vs. having to grab for a bottle.
Old 09-15-21, 10:34 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
They work great... more pressure on your hands, more strain on your lower back and more weight on your sit bones... But if it works for you it works!...
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I prefer to have the weight on the bike frame, not on me... you really should carry enough water.
I can't afford to carry another gram of weight on my body when ridding. I am just to heavy to begin with. If I am planning a hike or a bike route my first priority is available water. That's just the way it is in most of Texas. My Brother and Kuz were taking a day hike in Big Bend. They asked a ranger how much water for the high point hike from the last station. He said 3 gallons then followed 3 gallons each way. It was April.

Sometimes I find myself grabbing for my canteen on my hip... Old Army Habit... ha
Old 09-15-21, 10:57 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Cycco, I've known a number of Pascals and Pascales. Very nice people.
Growing up and working with my grandfather as a kid I remember he was always making the challenge, "?quantos pulgadas", how many inches. And, "?quantos centemetros", how many centimeters. He said you need to know them both and many more. Like speaking Spanish, English, German and Coahuiltecan. But that's in South Texas. It was advice I did not follow but kinda wish I did.

I got a good dose of the metric system when stationed overseas in the Army. I hold the skill close...
Old 09-15-21, 11:06 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
I can't afford to carry another gram of weight on my body when ridding. I am just to heavy to begin with. If I am planning a hike or a bike route my first priority is available water. That's just the way it is in most of Texas. My Brother and Kuz were taking a day hike in Big Bend. They asked a ranger how much water for the high point hike from the last station. He said 3 gallons then followed 3 gallons each way. It was April.
I have 72 ounces in my three water bottles. My Camelbak has 100 ounces. When I use the Camelbak I drink more often and ride further. Riding further helps me loose more weight. I cant afford not to use the Camelbak. I don't notice more weight on my hands when I use my Camelbak. I guess If I was riding in an aero position real low the extra weight might be more on my hands.
Likes For Rick:
Old 09-15-21, 10:57 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
FWIW, your math is pretty fuzzy. Yes it is over 6 pounds, but WAY over. 100 fluid ounces is over a gallon and a half (1.5625 to be exact). A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds so 100 ounces of water weighs a hair over 13 pounds. (Edited to say "ignore my stupid mistake")

Personally I think that is fine under some circumstances where the advantages are sufficient to justify the weight on the back, but figured the correction was worth making lest someone make the choice based on incorrect info.

For me it can be worth it for long days in the desert with 100 F heat if the camelback is filled with ice and I get the cooling effect of melting ice all day. For most general use I don't care for them.
Just for clarification, I was only pointing out someone else's comment regarding the "hour by hour, day by day" statement saying that the weight reduces as waters is consumed. As for the beginning weight, your correction is fine, but notice that the portion I quoted says a bit over 6 pounds so he was correct.