Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano MF-TZ31 removal or replacement

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-21, 05:16 AM
rplevinton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good morning, I have an older Trek Hybrid FX 7.1. I had to order a new rear wheel (Quality Wheels Shimano Tiagra RS400/Alex DA22 / 700c) to replace my Bontrager AT-750 wheel that I can not find anymore. I'd like to use the Shimano MF-TZ31 Freewheel gear set from my old wheel but the removal tool recommended to me (Park Tool 5.2) is slight too big. My question(s) is: Should I just consider getting a new Freewheel (either a Shimano MF-TZ31 or one comparable) or does anyone know of a removal tool that WILL fit the Shimano MF-TZ31? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

UPDATE:
Thank you to all who replied to my post above. I've decided to take alcjphil advice and buy a new 7 gear cassette with a 4.5mm spacer. Seems to make the most sense to me

Last edited by rplevinton; 09-17-21 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-17-21, 05:27 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Welcome! Park Tool's FR-5.2 is a cassette lockring tool and will not work for a freewheel. The correct tool for Shimano freewheel removal is the FR-1.3.

That being said, I think the Tiagra RS400 hub is a cassette hub, and is not compatible with a freewheel. It looks like it has a 10/11-speed freehub driver; I'm not an expert on the newer stuff -- I'll hope someone else chimes in regarding compatibility with a 7-speed cassette. Assuming it is backwards compatible with Shimano Hyperglide cassettes, you'd want to purchase a 7-speed cassette and (likely) a 4.5mm spacer for use with this hub (because a 7-speed cassette is shorter/thinner than a 10/11-speed cassette).
Old 09-17-21, 06:28 AM
rplevinton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you!

Thanks for that advice
Old 09-17-21, 06:36 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Park FR-1.3 or Shimano TL-FW30 will work on your freewheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Shimano-fw-tools.jpg (144.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 09-17-21, 07:07 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Removing the freewheel from your old wheel won't solve your problem since your new wheel doesn't need a freewheel, it needs a cassette. Since your freewheel is probably 7 speed and your new wheel is compatible with 8-10 speed cassettes you will need to buy a 7 speed cassette plus a 4.5mm spacer in order to install the cassette properly
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-17-21, 11:29 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Removing the freewheel from your old wheel won't solve your problem since your new wheel doesn't need a freewheel, it needs a cassette.
No, the MF-TZ31 is a freewheel, not a cassette. The OP says he already unsuccessfully tried the Park FR-5.2, which should have worked if he actually had a cassette:

Originally Posted by rplevinton
I'd like to use the Shimano MF-TZ31 Freewheel gear set from my old wheel but the removal tool recommended to me (Park Tool 5.2) is slight too big.
He needs either the Park FR-1.3 or Shimano TL-FW30 to remove the freewheel.
Old 09-17-21, 03:15 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
No, the MF-TZ31 is a freewheel, not a cassette. The OP says he already unsuccessfully tried the Park FR-5.2, which should have worked if he actually had a cassette:

He needs either the Park FR-1.3 or Shimano TL-FW30 to remove the freewheel.
Removing the freewheel from the pld wheel doesn't solve the problem of installing some sort of cogs on the new cassette type wheel. The OP wanted to use their old freewheel on the new wheel which isn't going to happen
Old 09-18-21, 05:07 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 670 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by rplevinton
Good morning, I have an older Trek Hybrid FX 7.1. I had to order a new rear wheel (Quality Wheels Shimano Tiagra RS400/Alex DA22 / 700c) to replace my Bontrager AT-750 wheel that I can not find anymore. I'd like to use the Shimano MF-TZ31 Freewheel gear set from my old wheel but the removal tool recommended to me (Park Tool 5.2) is slight too big. My question(s) is: Should I just consider getting a new Freewheel (either a Shimano MF-TZ31 or one comparable) or does anyone know of a removal tool that WILL fit the Shimano MF-TZ31? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

UPDATE:
Thank you to all who replied to my post above. I've decided to take alcjphil advice and buy a new 7 gear cassette with a 4.5mm spacer. Seems to make the most sense to me
You may also need a 1.8mm or 1.85mm spacer (I've seen both sold for what I'm about to describe).

An 11-speed compatible Shimano Hyperglide road freehub is approximately 37mm in length. The older 8/9/10 speed freehub was about 35mm as I recall; the 7-speed, a bit less than 31mm.

A 4.5mm spacer (I've also seen 4mm spacers sold for this purpose) was/is needed to use a 7-speed cassette with the 8/9/10mm freehub. But a 8/9/10-speed freehub is only about 35mm wide, not roughly 37mm.

Since the a 10/11 speed freehub is wider, Shimano specifies a 1.85mm spacer if using a 8- or 9-speed cassette with an 11-speed freehub. (With a 10-speed cassette on the 8/9/10-speed freehub, you'll also-need a 1mm spacer - a 10-speed cassette is actually about 1mm narrower than the 8 and 9-speed cassettes).

Since the 10/11-speed freehub is wider than the 8/9/10-speed, both spacers thus should be required to use a 7-speed cassette on a 10/11 speed freehub.

https://bike.bikegremlin.com/1259/bi...compatibility/

See the section titled "11-speed road freehub".

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-18-21 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Clarity and add additional info.
Likes For Hondo6: