Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cateye Padrone Incorrect Max Speed Reading

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-18, 03:42 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts

I bought a Cateye Padrone a couple of months ago but the last 2 times out I've had max speed readings of 55 and 38.5 mph on flat ground on a mountain bike .... I know I've been getting fitter but

Anybody know what may cause these intermittent readings ... everything else seems about right ie distance etc.
Old 04-30-18, 03:50 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Yeah, they do that. It's electrical interference of some kind. I'm not sure if other brands do that, but all of my Cateye computers get Max Speed errors all the time. I just checked mine and apparently I hit 68 miles an hour on my ride in this morning. Luckily, I didn't get a ticket. BTW, all of my Cateyes are wireless. I don't know if it affects wired/wireless any better or worse. Mounting a blinky headlight too close will cause the wireless computer to malfunction in riding speed. Before moving a headlight, I looked down and saw I was doing 82 mph.

-Kedosto
Old 04-30-18, 05:20 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have the same problem with the max speed, but all of the other data O.K. Something you have to live with.

I do have the newer model now that has the backlight. I mounted the computer on the downtube aimed at the sensor. It's mounted sideways so it has a "clear" view of the sensor like the instructions say. I'll report back if this helps.
Old 04-30-18, 05:23 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Garmin
Old 05-01-18, 01:50 AM
Witterings

Originally Posted by Kedosto
I just checked mine and apparently I hit 68 miles an hour on my ride in this morning. Luckily, I didn't get a ticket.
If I ever got a ticket for doing 68 I'd be so proud I'd happily pay the fine

Cheers for the replies ... weird that it's only recently started on the last 2 rides and was fine for the 1st couple of months before that giving readings in line with what I knew were approximately correct.

I'm not really bothered about max speed and the other readings do seem to be correct so will just live with it as mentioned but of anyone does know what causes it would be interested to know, I may just try cleaning the surfaces in case that has any bearing....

Wish I'd know they were bringing out one with a backlight I nearly went with one of the others simply that had a smaller but still reasonable size screen for that reason but as I wear reading glasses decided to play safe and went for this instead.
Old 05-01-18, 06:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
I have one of those. It randomly resets during rides. It sucks.
Old 05-01-18, 09:19 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
If I ever got a ticket for doing 68 I'd be so proud I'd happily pay the fine

Cheers for the replies ... weird that it's only recently started on the last 2 rides and was fine for the 1st couple of months before that giving readings in line with what I knew were approximately correct.

I'm not really bothered about max speed and the other readings do seem to be correct so will just live with it as mentioned but of anyone does know what causes it would be interested to know, I may just try cleaning the surfaces in case that has any bearing....

Wish I'd know they were bringing out one with a backlight I nearly went with one of the others simply that had a smaller but still reasonable size screen for that reason but as I wear reading glasses decided to play safe and went for this instead.
Contact Cateye customer support. If you have a defective unit, they will replace it.
Old 05-01-18, 09:33 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Are you using a light at the same time? Some wireless setups get interference from some LEDs. I have a Planet Bike 5 LED Beamer which does not play well with my Specialized bike computer. Interestingly, when the batteries are fresh, there is no problem... After about 4-5 hours of use, I start getting erratic readings.
Old 05-01-18, 09:37 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Three cheers for wired bike computers!
Old 05-01-18, 09:43 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Three cheers for wired bike computers!
+1. I've never had errors with a wired unit, and they cost less too.
Old 05-01-18, 02:07 PM
Witterings

Originally Posted by GerryinHouston
Are you using a light at the same time? Some wireless setups get interference from some LEDs. I have a Planet Bike 5 LED Beamer which does not play well with my Specialized bike computer. Interestingly, when the batteries are fresh, there is no problem... After about 4-5 hours of use, I start getting erratic readings.

Strangely ... it's been fine when I've been cycling at night and using a torch, it's the last 2 times out during the day not using the torch it's had the erratic readings.

I think I will contact Cateye and see what they say.
Old 05-02-18, 07:43 PM
355Mono

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I tried and returned 2 defective Padrones. The speed would freeze on me. I gave up. I did wind up with a Cateye Slimline, and a basic Cateye, both wireless. And, I can still read the faces.
Old 05-02-18, 10:29 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by 355Mono
I tried and returned 2 defective Padrones. The speed would freeze on me. I gave up. I did wind up with a Cateye Slimline, and a basic Cateye, both wireless. And, I can still read the faces.
I've used Cateye computers for a long time. The only problem I had was with the Padrone Smart, where it would would just stop working and go to sleep and use up batteries after 2 weeks. The problem presented itself after 5 months of use. Cateye replaced it. The new one has been flawless. We'll see in a 4 more months.