Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tour Divide- Lael Wilcox

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tour Divide- Lael Wilcox

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-19, 11:34 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Tour Divide- Lael Wilcox

I came across this video that was posted a couple of days ago based on Lael Wilcox's Tour Divide endeavors. Hope you can enjoy it as much as I did.
Does anyone have any experiences with this route? I'd like to tackle it one day. I doubt my Miyata 1000 could handle it with 35mm tires, so I might save up from a gravel bike that can take 40mm+ tires and opt for lighter bikepacking gear. Cheers!

Old 11-24-19, 09:30 AM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Thanks for posting this, really excellent video which goes into bigger issues than just the ride itself. Loved the interview with the elder lady from Ovando, MT
Old 11-29-19, 09:17 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I did Rawlins, WY to Salida, CO then on down to Pueblo last Summer... basically all of ACA map #4 . Instead of subjecting my touring bike with 35mm tires to the task, I bought a 10 year old hard-tail and tweaked it a bit.
Old 11-29-19, 09:19 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
My favorite albuterol fueled endurance racer.
Old 11-29-19, 03:48 PM
zweitesmal2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
My favorite albuterol fueled endurance racer.
Is this a thing?? I'm looking it up but can't see any information on performance gains. That would make it quite beneficial in the mountains for a flatlander I suppose (which she isn't). Now i'm curious as to what else is commonly used/abused just for personal cycling fun. I know a lot of athletes are admitting to marijuana use for training.
Old 11-29-19, 05:36 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Watched it last week. Pretty good stuff.
Old 11-30-19, 07:34 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Damn rain, err, damn snow. 🙄 😁
Old 11-30-19, 06:28 PM
jcivic00
keep moving forward...

Bikes: 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zweitesmal2
Is this a thing?? I'm looking it up but can't see any information on performance gains. That would make it quite beneficial in the mountains for a flatlander I suppose (which she isn't). Now i'm curious as to what else is commonly used/abused just for personal cycling fun. I know a lot of athletes are admitting to marijuana use for training.
She mentions it in the video, however it was in reference to issues she was having in a prior event where she ended up in the hospital and ended up getting checked out for pneumonia, while on the route.
Old 11-30-19, 06:55 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWonder
I came across this video that was posted a couple of days ago based on Lael Wilcox's Tour Divide endeavors. Hope you can enjoy it as much as I did.
Does anyone have any experiences with this route? I'd like to tackle it one day. I doubt my Miyata 1000 could handle it with 35mm tires, so I might save up from a gravel bike that can take 40mm+ tires and opt
The GDMBR is 80% or more non paved, so I would suggest that a plus bike is more appropriate than 40mm tires. I mean, you could do it if you were determined, but 2.25 inches wide is generally an acceptable minimum tire width. And a bike designed for loaded touring weight, unless you're accustomed to minimalist traveling.
Old 12-01-19, 09:16 AM
3speed

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
2.25 inches wide is generally an acceptable minimum tire width.
2.25" an "acceptable" Minimum? Let's not go scaring people. I don't see any reason you'd want more tire. The difficulty of the Divide is more to do with climbing, elevation, weather, and most of all, length of the trip, not because the terrain is Crazy or anything. People(myself included) do real mountain biking on 2.25", with all the fun berms, drops, beds of fist sized rocks, etc, at speed. 2.25" is Plenty of tire for a slower paced ride, where a lot of that unpaved road is fire roads, etc. My best friend did the divide on 2.1" Race Kings. He's doing it again this coming year on another set of 2.1" Race Kings. His bike fits more tire, so I'm sure he would size up if he felt a desire to...
Old 12-01-19, 06:19 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
2.25" an "acceptable" Minimum? Let's not go scaring people. I don't see any reason you'd want more tire. The difficulty of the Divide is more to do with climbing, elevation, weather, and most of all, length of the trip, not because the terrain is Crazy or anything. People(myself included) do real mountain biking on 2.25", with all the fun berms, drops, beds of fist sized rocks, etc, at speed. 2.25" is Plenty of tire for a slower paced ride, where a lot of that unpaved road is fire roads, etc. My best friend did the divide on 2.1" Race Kings. He's doing it again this coming year on another set of 2.1" Race Kings. His bike fits more tire, so I'm sure he would size up if he felt a desire to...
I can't disagree with your assessment of an acceptable tire size. My info came from riders who have ridden the route, their opinions. Based on my experience on Forest Service roads, I would ride my rigid Plus bike, 29x3, just for the cushion and grip. I read one account of a woman who rode a folding bike with 20x2 inch tires. Determined.
Old 12-01-19, 07:10 PM
3speed

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I read one account of a woman who rode a folding bike with 20x2 inch tires. Determined.
Haha. Wow. That is determination. Personally, I'm planning to use a 26x2.1"(ish) wheeled MTB with a light suspension fork.
Old 12-01-19, 11:17 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I enjoyed the video but I have to say there were several touched upon topics that weren’t adequately covered or explained. In short, if she got money to produce a video and this was the final product then it was IMHO inadequate.
Old 12-11-19, 01:39 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
I think it is a better film because of the challenges encountered along the way. If Lael had just ridden the whole thing and set a new record it would be kind of dull.

Modern technology and social media makes this kind of thing possible, and at the same time it threatens to blow the whole thing apart.

I note that one of the cameramen was Jay Ritchey, Tom Ritchey's son. Jay was also the producer/director/cameraman of the Peru Divide film, El Silencio, released a year ago.

I would recommend a minimum of two inch tires for the route. You could do most of it with 40mm tires, but there are some very rough sections.