Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How screwed up the bike shop business has become,

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-15-21, 02:54 PM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 41 Posts

Had to buy a used part and install it myself. Makes me realize how screwed up the bike shop business has become, especially combined with the fuggled economics of the TechLand area. All of the good mechanics I knew have quit and moved somewhere else, because it's simply too expensive to live here on the $15-20/hr a bike mechanic makes. Even a top mechanic with 20 years' experience probably doesn't make more than $25/hr, otherwise the economics of the shop don't work. You can't live on that when the median home sale price is $1 million.

Now, shops are mostly staffed with high school or college age kids who live with their parents and only know how to assemble new bikes, and have no exposure to older parts or how to work on anything that the shop doesn't sell. It's more like a car dealership service department model, except that bikes don't have warranties, so they do little follow-up work on complex problems.

The last good mechanic I knew owned his own franchised mobile bike shop business, called Velofix. He sold it and took a job at Boeing. I learned this from the replacement Velofix guy, whom I had to call because the rear wheel on my road bike was out of true. I don't have a truing stand to deal with that, so a mechanic had to do it for me.

I've been thinking about this seeming paradox lately: when the cost of living in an area goes up dramatically, the quality of life goes down, even for the people most able to afford it. I wonder if an economist has done a more rigorous analysis of this effect, but it's something I've observed in several places. TechLand is just the most extreme case.

The bike shop example is one. Lots of bike shops have closed, because they can't afford the rent anymore. The ones that survive focus only on selling the most popular brands in large volume (want a Specialized? There are about 30 shops around here that all sell the same Spesh bikes. Want a BMC? There are two shops, and one recently downsized to a space half as big as they previously had.) Landlord is going to rent to whoever can pay the most, and that usually means a corporate brand like a Walgreens rather than a private small business.
Old 06-15-21, 03:03 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Maybe where you live.
Old 06-15-21, 03:10 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Back in the day, we fixed our own bikes, and cars. Neither was too complicated, and were more reliable!
gm
Old 06-15-21, 03:15 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Had to buy a used part and install it myself. Makes me realize how screwed up the bike shop business has become, especially combined with the fuggled economics of the TechLand area. All of the good mechanics I knew have quit and moved somewhere else, because it's simply too expensive to live here on the $15-20/hr a bike mechanic makes. Even a top mechanic with 20 years' experience probably doesn't make more than $25/hr, otherwise the economics of the shop don't work. You can't live on that when the median home sale price is $1 million.
Whereabouts are we referring to here?
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 06-15-21, 03:25 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 159 Posts
What’s wrong with buying a used part and installing it yourself?
Old 06-15-21, 04:16 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
I think "workforce housing" is the current term for the issue OP describes. Further discussion will probably get this moved to the newly resurrected P&R.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-15-21, 05:03 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
The shop I deal with has 2 mechanics. One is the manager and been in the business for 25+ years. The other is in his late 60s and has been in the business longer than dirt.

Now the new Trek store has 4 "kids" that didn't know my 2015 Emonda SLR was made by Trek. And when I asked the mechanic a question about my Bontrager floor pump, he said he never used one. At lease they have a clean bathroom and water bottle refill station.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-15-21, 07:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
The shop I deal with has 2 mechanics. One is the manager and been in the business for 25+ years. The other is in his late 60s and has been in the business longer than dirt.

Now the new Trek store has 4 "kids" that didn't know my 2015 Emonda SLR was made by Trek. And when I asked the mechanic a question about my Bontrager floor pump, he said he never used one. At lease they have a clean bathroom and water bottle refill station.
Wait wait wait, Trek made the Emondas back in 2015? Shoot I could have sworn it was Grant Petersen. I swear that bike looks like a Rivendell.

The kids are sometimes good but yeah they lack knowledge and in many cases a lust for knowledge and improvement but I also know some older than dirt mechanics who are kinda the same, the stuff I need to know about working on bikes stopped needing to be updated in 1994. A good mechanic should be willing to learn be hungry for work and want to be around bikes and help people. Learn the product know you are a salesperson weather your title reflects that or not and be ready to say "I need help" which is a phrase a lot of mechanics I know don't like to utter or they love to run to me and utter it not that I am great at actually doing the work but I am good at soaking up information and knowing certain useful tidbits everyone should know but doesn't always bother to learn or check.
Old 06-15-21, 07:46 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
I'm finding all the places around here that sell bike parts have whippersnappers working there. And a whippersnapper at one of them told me "there is no such thing as 27 inch wheels, they are 27-1/2".

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 06-15-21, 07:54 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Old 06-15-21, 07:55 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
need to move to portland we have lots f shops and lots of decent mechanics.
Old 06-15-21, 08:46 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts

Now, shops are mostly staffed with high school or college age kids who live with their parents and only know how to assemble new bikes, and have no exposure to older parts or how to work on anything that the shop doesn't sell. It's more like a car dealership service department model, except that bikes don't have warranties, so they do little follow-up work on complex problems.

The last good mechanic I knew owned his own franchised mobile bike shop business, called Velofix. He sold it and took a job at Boeing. I learned this from the replacement Velofix guy, whom I had to call because the rear wheel on my road bike was out of true. I don't have a truing stand to deal with that, so a mechanic had to do it for me.

I've been thinking about this seeming paradox lately: when the cost of living in an area goes up dramatically, the quality of life goes down, even for the people most able to afford it. I wonder if an economist has done a more rigorous analysis of this effect, but it's something I've observed in several places. TechLand is just the most extreme case.

The bike shop example is one. Lots of bike shops have closed, because they can't afford the rent anymore. The ones that survive focus only on selling the most popular brands in large volume (want a Specialized? There are about 30 shops around here that all sell the same Spesh bikes. Want a BMC? There are two shops, and one recently downsized to a space half as big as they previously had.) Landlord is going to rent to whoever can pay the most, and that usually means a corporate brand like a Walgreens rather than a private small business.

Do you actually want references to economic papers or books on land value?
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 06-15-21, 09:19 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
Back in the day, we fixed our own bikes, and cars. Neither was too complicated, and were more reliable!
gm
Sorry, but old cars were not more reliable.
Tim
Old 06-16-21, 04:40 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts
Not even close to being more reliable, but probably easier to fix with a hammer.
Modern cars (and bikes) are so much better, and that means more complexity.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 06-16-21, 04:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
Not even close to being more reliable, but probably easier to fix with a hammer.
Modern cars (and bikes) are so much better, and that means more complexity.

I don't think there's been any comparable change in reliability for bikes, it's always been a relatively reliable machine. And a simple single speed bike can be just about the most reliable of them all.

Car complexity has made them more reliable in that it's really the electronic controls that have curbed the IC engine's tendency to slowly blow itself up. A lot of independent mechanics shops closed a few years back as they couldn't afford the ever escalating number of electronic devices needed to service a car.
Old 06-16-21, 05:19 AM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Bikes: '21 GT Aggressor Pro, '16 Norco 7.1 Storm << son's bike

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I think I would rather buy the part and install it myself, then have some know it all young adult do it.

My LBS has 3 mechanics, 2 in the back working on the drop off's and one guy up front that helps the walks in and does sales. He'll do quick air ups or set up a Tubeless tire, dropped chain, etc and shoot the crap with you as he does it. They also do an summer apprenticeship with some local kids to teach them the in's and out of bike repair.
Likes For Ryno317:
Old 06-16-21, 06:48 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
gm
I've been learning how to work on my own bikes, because while I have two bike shops in my area, one is 30 minutes away by car and the other is 45 minutes in another direction. I wouldn't mind taking my bike to one of them but it's a bit inconvenient.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 06-16-21, 06:50 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Sorry, but old cars were not more reliable.
Tim
Not more reliable, but simpler and arguably easier to work on.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 06-16-21, 07:18 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
I picked up a used frame that I really love only to find out that the BB appears to be siezed in it. Soaking a couple days with PB Blaster, using the Pedro's tool to screw the BB tool to the spindle and then tapping the wrench with a mallet is the max of my abilities and didn't dislodge it, so I'm planning on taking it in to the local shop where they may have better tools/a mounted vice to get it out. Debating on whether to put masking tape on the downtube saying "Italian thread, loosens counterclockwise" because I don't know how many of them would have seen those before and don't want them to accidentally make it tighter (probably how it goes siezed in the first place when a previous owner tried removing it), but I also don't want to offend them if I get one of the experienced guys who actually knows what he's doing. I've definitely gotten questions before about the tiresavers I had on one of the bikes I'd brought in for something because they'd never seen one before. Doesn't help that I like to ride exotic, vintage bikes that I build up to suit my needs in ways other than they would typically be done.
Old 06-16-21, 07:18 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
gm
Back in the day? Heck I've been fixing my own for ever, If you want to ride you need to learn how to fix it, that's why we have a tool bag under the seat. Same goes for your car, amazing what you can see if you just open the hood! Don't be afraid it's how we learn.
Likes For Mark Dominck:
Old 06-16-21, 07:23 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR

Don't be afraid of these kid mechanics, they're going to replace us old guys and most of them are pretty sharp. They learn and grow up fast, I see it happening all around me in all jobs not just bike mechanics.
Likes For Mark Dominck:
Old 06-16-21, 08:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Had to buy a used part and install it myself.
What was the used part?
Old 06-16-21, 08:35 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Dominck
Don't be afraid of these kid mechanics, they're going to replace us old guys and most of them are pretty sharp. They learn and grow up fast, I see it happening all around me in all jobs not just bike mechanics.
One of my earliest jobs was a bike mechanic at a shop when I was 17. They hired me because I had plenty of experience working on bikes (started around 10 years old) and it showed. I suppose it helped that I rode my bike (a Raleigh I bought from the shop!) there and hung around every other day.

It was a long time ago but I don't remember messing up any repairs. Mostly what I remember was lots and lots of routine, relatively simple repairs.

Shops will not hire, or keep, anyone who can't properly do the job.
Old 06-16-21, 08:38 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
... I had to call because the rear wheel on my road bike was out of true. I don't have a truing stand to deal with that, so a mechanic had to do it for me...
Did you price out the cost of a truing stand and a decent spoke wrench? Just wondering how you evaluated your options.

The simplest option, of course, is to true the wheel in situ. That's how we did it back in the 1970s, unless you were a wheel builder.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 06-16-21, 08:45 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I picked up a used frame that I really love only to find out that the BB appears to be siezed in it. Soaking a couple days with PB Blaster, using the Pedro's tool to screw the BB tool to the spindle and then tapping the wrench with a mallet is the max of my abilities and didn't dislodge it, so I'm planning on taking it in to the local shop where they may have better tools/a mounted vice to get it out. Debating on whether to put masking tape on the downtube saying "Italian thread, loosens counterclockwise" because I don't know how many of them would have seen those before and don't want them to accidentally make it tighter (probably how it goes siezed in the first place when a previous owner tried removing it), but I also don't want to offend them if I get one of the experienced guys who actually knows what he's doing. I've definitely gotten questions before about the tiresavers I had on one of the bikes I'd brought in for something because they'd never seen one before. Doesn't help that I like to ride exotic, vintage bikes that I build up to suit my needs in ways other than they would typically be done.
I would put the warning on.
For these things I weigh the potential outcome. Having a guy say "I know that" vs having a guy totally screw up the bike frame.
It is no exaggeration to expect modern bike mechanics to not understand vintage bikes.
Likes For Happy Feet:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.