Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Worksman adult foldable tricycle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-21, 07:42 PM
TigsTrike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I rec’d my new bike the rear axle got bent. They sent me a new one and I’m having difficulty getting the sprocket to ove off the key. How do I do this without damage? I’v thought maybe a punch and hammer. Can someone help this 66 yrold woman that just wants to ride?
Old 07-30-21, 07:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Did you ask your local shop, they might be a good place to ask for help and service and get you riding a lot faster.
Old 07-30-21, 07:55 PM
TigsTrike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No I haven’t done that yet. Everybody wants money for everything and I believe I have the capability with the right info. Thanks for answering.
Old 07-30-21, 08:57 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I'm surprised if this was a warranty replacement that it didn't also include installation.

Can you upload some photos of the problem area to your album, along with a better description on where you are stuck?

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/542948
Old 07-30-21, 09:29 PM
TigsTrike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m a new user and I can’t post pictures until I’ve done 110 posts 😞. I see you’re from Oregon, I grew up in CA years ago now on the coast in MS. Can I send pics somewhere else?
Old 07-30-21, 09:31 PM
TigsTrike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That should say 10 posts.
Old 07-30-21, 09:39 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by TigsTrike
I’m a new user and I can’t post pictures until I’ve done 110 posts 😞. I see you’re from Oregon, I grew up in CA years ago now on the coast in MS. Can I send pics somewhere else?
When you try to upload the photos, they go to your album as above: You also get 5 posts a day until you get 10+

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/542948
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/22065910

Old 07-30-21, 09:54 PM
CliffordK

Hmm... It looks like somebody has been pounding on that sprocket. I think I see the offending hammer in a couple of the photos.

I can't see what is in the bottom of the hole where you removed the lock screw. On occasion there could be two. I'd feel the bottom of that hole with a small screwdriver to make sure there isn't an Allen head set screw down there. Or clean and get a better picture straight down the hole.

Sometimes adding a penetrating oil will help wherever you can get it (along sides, perhaps in the hole for the set screw) (WD40, Liquid Wrench, whatever you like).

Ideally a gear puller would help, but there may not be any place to get a good grip.

A hammer with a copper head or brass head will do a lot less damage to the steel. Make sure you pound evenly around the sprocket. If it is as clean as that looks, with some oil, and all the set screws out, it shouldn't take much force. A block of wood or aluminum can also help protect the steel.

You've hit the key a couple of times. Did you get a new key with the replacement axle?
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-30-21, 10:19 PM
TigsTrike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I know. That was my brother-in-law while I was at work 😞. No new key was sent yet and I believe it won’t be a problem. I will try wd40 before going to bed and check inside the set screw hole. I will get back to you. Thanks again.
Old 07-31-21, 02:49 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Yes, you need to punch the key out first. I have found replacement keys for them in the hardware parts drawers in Lowe's and Ace Hardware but not Home Depot if you need to get another one but most times they are reusable.

Old 07-31-21, 06:48 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
https://www.autozone.com/tools-and-e...r-rental-tools

​​​​​​https://www.google.com/search?q=keye...w=1366&bih=617

​​​​​​
Old 07-31-21, 11:24 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Yeah I know. That was my brother-in-law while I was at work 😞. No new key was sent yet and I believe it won’t be a problem. I will try wd40 before going to bed and check inside the set screw hole. I will get back to you. Thanks again.
WD-40 works kind of good for a lot of stuff, but is seldom the best for a specific task.
Get a genuine penetrating oil such as PB Blaster, Kroil, Liquid Wrench etc.
Let soak a bit and then take a smaller box wrench or similar and tap the joint.
You want to "ring it", not mash it.
The vibes help the PO to migrate through capillary action to where you need it.
Repeat every couple hours.

Maybe flipping the trike on its side to let gravity help?
Old 07-31-21, 02:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

No I haven’t done that yet. Everybody wants money for everything and I believe I have the capability with the right info. Thanks for answering.
Yes that is how things work, you pay money for goods and services. If you haven't built a trike and are having issues a professional might be handy. Yes one can wrench on their own and there are videos and books but in the end if you are just looking to ride or you are unsure of something you might want someone to put it together and make sure it is safe. I know I probably wouldn't want to work on an adult trike at my house even with the tools and knowledge I have picked up over the years. They are heavy and awkward to work on especially on the ground.
Old 07-31-21, 04:34 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yes that is how things work, you pay money for goods and services. If you haven't built a trike and are having issues a professional might be handy. Yes one can wrench on their own and there are videos and books but in the end if you are just looking to ride or you are unsure of something you might want someone to put it together and make sure it is safe. I know I probably wouldn't want to work on an adult trike at my house even with the tools and knowledge I have picked up over the years. They are heavy and awkward to work on especially on the ground.
Honestly I'd suspect an auto, MC, or small engine shop would have way more experience and tools for this type problem than most "professional" LBS staff.
Old 07-31-21, 09:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by dedhed
Honestly I'd suspect an auto, MC, or small engine shop would have way more experience and tools for this type problem than most "professional" LBS staff.
Depends on the shop but potentially.