Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Got any recommendations for a bike floor pump?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-15-21, 05:33 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

Want it with a gauge, and presta and schrader heads. Manual, not electric.

My old Avenir has just had it... too much abuse, water intrusion (left it out in some rains in Florida...) and the dual head is just not working right, and was always a bit finicky. Thinking about one of those models you step on... vice the typical T handle type.

So what say you?
(is this even the right sub forum... Or do I need to go to mechanical and listen to chain oil talk?)
Old 08-15-21, 05:52 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 667 Posts
My 15yo Nashbar branded pump needed a new head (nozzle?) a few years back, which I was able to replace. Otherwise it was fine. It cost $14.95

The replacement head was Park branded - a replacement head for PFP-3 and it fit perfectly.
Old 08-15-21, 06:36 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6761 Post(s)
Liked 5,468 Times in 3,217 Posts
The floor pump I have is easily 25 years old. I believe it's a Topeak Air Hammer. I think I have a Wrench force too. Both of them with the Topeak Twin Head.

This hose will fit most floor pumps.
Old 08-15-21, 07:09 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
My Serfas product review from 5 years ago.
The gauge broke once and they replaced it for free at the LBS.

https://diabloscott.blogspot.com/201...16-smr-35.html

Old 08-15-21, 08:33 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
I had enough of my 20+ yo Topeak Joe Blow. I replaced the original head and its hose 10-ish years ago.
I replaced it a couple weeks ago with a Bontrager dual mode (high pressure or high volume). It has a big honking gage at its base that I can read without my old man glasses.
Likes For skijor:
Old 08-15-21, 11:43 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Have a Topeak Joe Blow been airing tires for 10 years and still blowing air lol. Good value for the money. Both valve types..
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 08-16-21, 12:12 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 258 Posts
Harbor Freight has a very good , inexpensive pump which has both SCHRADER and PRESTA...........the plastic nozzle has Schrader on TOP and Presta on BOTTOM in the same stacked fashion as an over & under headlight assembly from a 1965 to 1967 FORD, CADILLAC, or PONTIAC....
See the picture in the link below from Harbor Freight's website. You'll notice that the picture has the LEVER in the "DOWN" Position (or you could call it the "Install-Release" position)..................You see that you Install It on to your Valve Stem and THEN YOU MUST FLIP THE LEVER "UP" to secure it.........and of course THEN ONCE PUMPING IS COMPLETED, You Must Flip The LEVER back "DOWN" to RELEASE IT.
That other little off white, almost clear tiny plastic thingy attached near the top of the pump IS JUST A SMALL CONTAINER which includes a standard Football/Basketball INFLATION NEEDLE.....that is how the pump comes from Harbor Freight....that off white almost clear plastic thingy small container that houses the INFLATION NEEDLE is not permanently attached to the pump, and can be removed in two seconds.

My advice would be to go direct to harbor freight DOT COM and then WHERE IT ASKS YOU: 'What Are You Looking For Today?' just answer: bicycle pump.
Why? Because doing it this way will likely also give you the applicable 15% or 10% or 20% COUPON CODE that is currently applicable on this pump that is shown in the harbor freight link below. If you are not familiar with HF , they usually have applicable % OFF COUPONS all the time.....prior to the start of the pandemic (circa Feb 2020) HF had paper flyers with coupons, etc at the front of each store as you entered and they also printed them in magazine ads, direct mailers, and in Sunday newspaper inserts. Paper coupons/in-store-flyers were ELIMINATED at the start of pandemic for sanitary reasons and since then everything has been Electronic where existing customers who wish to receive such coupons and info on upcoming sales etc, receive electronic notices, etc.......... New customers and anyone else can check their site for the applicable coupon codes, etc.... I do suggest doing that.
I have owned this exact model HF pump since at least 2017 and I purchased it in a HF store for just under $10 with the discount at that time.
The very basic built in Dial Gauge that displays the PSI air pressure is not accurate and precise as to the needle pointer and number display......well lets just say that it's stable and relative IN THE SAME WAY AS car speedometer displays were from the 1950's through the 1970's & 1980's................RELATIVELY SPEAKING IT WILL SHOW THAT YOU'RE IN THE BALLPARK, BUT THE SIMPLE MECHANICAL NEEDLE DISPLAY ON A PRINTED BACKGROUND SCALE OF NUMBERS IS CERTAINLY NOT ANYWHERE CLOSE TO CALIBRATED ACCURATELY. You will need a separate high quality digital tire gauge if you want precise readings down to the individual pound psi reading... Having said that, this inexpensive, basic pump does a decent enough job, that you'll forget that it is an el-cheapo Harbor Freight offering.
https://www.harborfreight.com/high-fl...ump-63304.html
Old 08-16-21, 12:20 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I've had a Joe Blow for ever. Does the censor let you say that?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-16-21, 02:24 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I've had a Joe Blow for ever. Does the censor let you say that?
Apparently, yes.
Old 08-16-21, 02:27 AM
genec
genec

So all of these sound or appear to be typical T handle pumps... nobody has one of those double piston step on models?
Old 08-16-21, 10:56 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
So all of these sound or appear to be typical T handle pumps... nobody has one of those double piston step on models?
If you have a fatty, then I can understand wanting a pump that can put out more volume. I do not currently own a fatty or even a MTB. But this new Bontrager has that capability. I hope it performs well for the long haul. The Topeak was meh compared to other pumps (Specialized and Park, for example) I'd used. The Bontrager bike computer and helmet I bought in the last few years are a step up in user-friendliness and value compared to other brands I've had over the last two+ decades of cycling.
Old 08-16-21, 12:34 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by skijor
If you have a fatty, then I can understand wanting a pump that can put out more volume. I do not currently own a fatty or even a MTB. But this new Bontrager has that capability. I hope it performs well for the long haul. The Topeak was meh compared to other pumps (Specialized and Park, for example) I'd used. The Bontrager bike computer and helmet I bought in the last few years are a step up in user-friendliness and value compared to other brands I've had over the last two+ decades of cycling.
I actually have several bikes, all with different requirements. I even have skinny rims with sewups on one bike those take about 120 PSI. I have a beach cruiser that takes about 35 PSI in real fat tires with schrader valves... and my current most often used bike is a full suspension trails bike with fat tires that take about 60 PSI and use a presta valve.

So, wide variety of needs there.

The old T handle pump worked quite well for something like 20 years or so... but I left it out in a lot of rain and it just isn't working right these days. I had pumped up my tires and just leaned the pump against the house and forgot it. Later, needing to top off the tires, I remembered where I left it, grabbed it and started to pump it and it squirted water... Uh Oh. I hung it upside down for a few days to drain... but now, months later, it just isn't quite working.

I may see if I can open it and repair it. I know I can put a new hose and head on it... that part IS threaded.
Old 08-16-21, 02:22 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
I like my Nashbar Orange V2 (not sure they sell it anymore) but the head was starting to be difficult, so I replaced it with this SKS multi-head, and I LOVE it. I really like the opposite convention where you push the lever down to compress the rubber innards and secure the connection, and pull up to release.
Old 08-16-21, 02:37 PM
genec
genec

Whoo Wee!!! And Yipee...! After the last post I decided to put on the fix-it hat and see if I could do anything for that old Avenir pump... When I had looked at it before I thought it was all "pressed" together. Well that wasn't true, the big cylinder is threaded at the top and bottom... it was just so tight I had to use some "umpf" on it.

At the very bottom was a check valve, covered in light grease, and small flakes of rust. (remember, I left it in the rain.) The shaft and pump tube looked fine, if not a bit dry. Well, I cleaned off the check valve and re-lubed it with a silicon based grease... and then put it all back together. The first stroke forced out a tiny bit of grease, and then it worked like a champ. Just saved myself $30 bucks or so.

Topeak for $70?? is it made of gold or what? And how about this one, $165. OK, so it has a wood handle and goes to 220 PSI. Any of your tires go to 220 PSI?

SILCA Pista Plus bicycle floor pump for Presta and Schrader valves.

Price: $165.00
Likes For genec:
Old 08-16-21, 02:46 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,564 Times in 3,764 Posts
Thread moved from Foo to General Cycling Discussion.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 08-16-21, 03:26 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Glad you were able to fix it! No need to worry about those other pumps if they don't suit you.
Old 08-16-21, 03:27 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I have a Bontrager pump that has worked flawlessly for at least 15 years.
Old 08-16-21, 04:08 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Thread moved from Foo to General Cycling Discussion.
First time I've ever seen a thread moved in that direction!

How about this one: https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/12366...-pavement.html ?
Old 08-16-21, 04:19 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Silca. It will be the last pump you'll ever have to buy.
Old 08-16-21, 04:39 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by drlogik
Silca. It will be the last pump you'll ever have to buy.
At that price, I would hope so.

Truth be told, when I dove on SCUBA all the time I never used a pump... I had an adapter that look the low side pressure from my regulator and gave me just over 100 psi of very dry air.
Old 08-16-21, 05:15 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
Harbor Freight has a very good , inexpensive pump which has both SCHRADER and PRESTA...........the plastic nozzle has Schrader on TOP and Presta on BOTTOM in the same stacked fashion as an over & under headlight assembly from a 1965 to 1967 FORD, CADILLAC, or PONTIAC....
See the picture in the link below from Harbor Freight's website. You'll notice that the picture has the LEVER in the "DOWN" Position (or you could call it the "Install-Release" position)..................You see that you Install It on to your Valve Stem and THEN YOU MUST FLIP THE LEVER "UP" to secure it.........and of course THEN ONCE PUMPING IS COMPLETED, You Must Flip The LEVER back "DOWN" to RELEASE IT.
That other little off white, almost clear tiny plastic thingy attached near the top of the pump IS JUST A SMALL CONTAINER which includes a standard Football/Basketball INFLATION NEEDLE.....that is how the pump comes from Harbor Freight....that off white almost clear plastic thingy small container that houses the INFLATION NEEDLE is not permanently attached to the pump, and can be removed in two seconds.

My advice would be to go direct to harbor freight DOT COM and then WHERE IT ASKS YOU: 'What Are You Looking For Today?' just answer: bicycle pump.
Why? Because doing it this way will likely also give you the applicable 15% or 10% or 20% COUPON CODE that is currently applicable on this pump that is shown in the harbor freight link below. If you are not familiar with HF , they usually have applicable % OFF COUPONS all the time.....prior to the start of the pandemic (circa Feb 2020) HF had paper flyers with coupons, etc at the front of each store as you entered and they also printed them in magazine ads, direct mailers, and in Sunday newspaper inserts. Paper coupons/in-store-flyers were ELIMINATED at the start of pandemic for sanitary reasons and since then everything has been Electronic where existing customers who wish to receive such coupons and info on upcoming sales etc, receive electronic notices, etc.......... New customers and anyone else can check their site for the applicable coupon codes, etc.... I do suggest doing that.
I have owned this exact model HF pump since at least 2017 and I purchased it in a HF store for just under $10 with the discount at that time.
The very basic built in Dial Gauge that displays the PSI air pressure is not accurate and precise as to the needle pointer and number display......well lets just say that it's stable and relative IN THE SAME WAY AS car speedometer displays were from the 1950's through the 1970's & 1980's................RELATIVELY SPEAKING IT WILL SHOW THAT YOU'RE IN THE BALLPARK, BUT THE SIMPLE MECHANICAL NEEDLE DISPLAY ON A PRINTED BACKGROUND SCALE OF NUMBERS IS CERTAINLY NOT ANYWHERE CLOSE TO CALIBRATED ACCURATELY. You will need a separate high quality digital tire gauge if you want precise readings down to the individual pound psi reading... Having said that, this inexpensive, basic pump does a decent enough job, that you'll forget that it is an el-cheapo Harbor Freight offering.
https://www.harborfreight.com/high-fl...ump-63304.html
Good to know, could be confusing.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-16-21, 06:06 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

At that price, I would hope so.

Truth be told, when I dove on SCUBA all the time I never used a pump... I had an adapter that look the low side pressure from my regulator and gave me just over 100 psi of very dry air.
Buy a used one on eBay that's beat up, replace the hose and seals and presto, almost a new pump. I bought one used 20 years ago and it was old when I got it...it's still going strong.
Old 08-16-21, 06:11 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I have a silca impero (campy head), needs a new leather washer, I'm too cheap to replace it. As-is, it can't really pump to over 40psi. Is there a way I could rejuvenate the leather washer myself? Soak it in something?
Old 08-16-21, 06:28 PM
drlogik 

Wipe it down with mineral oil, a little at a time. If the leather is hard and dry it may not bounce back all the way but it may improve the pressure.You can always take the old washer off, soak it in mineral oil and cut a new one from a piece of leather. YMMV.
Old 08-16-21, 06:33 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
My recommendations are:

Get a pump with the gauge at the top rather than the bottom... it's easier to read

Ger a pump with separate presta and schrader openings. I had one with a universal and after using it on a schrader a few times it made the hole larger and the presta would slip out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.