Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm a baad boy...

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I'm a baad boy...

Old 08-29-21, 10:08 AM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12172 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,094 Posts
I'm a baad boy...

I'm not usually this bad. We did a 20 mile ride with our ebikes yesterday, same ride we usually take. There was a farmers market, so we stopped and got some Italian sausage made from an heirloom Italian breed of pig. We're having it tonite in some Italian dish. A mile down the road we usually stop and split a coffee and something to eat, this time it was a mocha and an 11 buck egg sandwich. They really aren't quite worth their prices, but the location is perfect, and the food is really quite good. They make a lethally good iced mocha. Less than a mile after that, there is a store that just opened to sell this years apples and cider. We got some cider. A few miles after that, there's a coffee kiosk. They have lawn chairs, I got another mocha. Which was a mistake, I didn't need more caffeine, and after a couple sips I was quite literally full. Oh well...

We're in our 70s, and we will be doing harder training rides in the future. One of our favorite rides isn't much longer, but has some tough hills, and only the coffee kiosk. After that we're going to jump to easy 30 mile rides.

But that was a bit ridiculous, yesterday, I almost wish I hadn't enjoyed it as much as I did. I think I will open up that cider now.

Last edited by late; 08-29-21 at 10:14 AM.
Likes For late:
Old 08-29-21, 10:22 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I'm glad you had fun.

If you're worried about all the food you ate, just turn off the motor and do some pedalling until you can't.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 08-29-21, 02:47 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
For Baaad Boys:

(Always loved the sign at the back of the stage).
Old 08-29-21, 04:47 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by late
I'm not usually this bad. We did a 20 mile ride with our ebikes yesterday, same ride we usually take. There was a farmers market, so we stopped and got some Italian sausage made from an heirloom Italian breed of pig. We're having it tonite in some Italian dish. A mile down the road we usually stop and split a coffee and something to eat, this time it was a mocha and an 11 buck egg sandwich. They really aren't quite worth their prices, but the location is perfect, and the food is really quite good. They make a lethally good iced mocha. Less than a mile after that, there is a store that just opened to sell this years apples and cider. We got some cider. A few miles after that, there's a coffee kiosk. They have lawn chairs, I got another mocha. Which was a mistake, I didn't need more caffeine, and after a couple sips I was quite literally full. Oh well...

We're in our 70s, and we will be doing harder training rides in the future. One of our favorite rides isn't much longer, but has some tough hills, and only the coffee kiosk. After that we're going to jump to easy 30 mile rides.

But that was a bit ridiculous, yesterday, I almost wish I hadn't enjoyed it as much as I did. I think I will open up that cider now.
Sounds like a nice day! Old thought patterns are hard to break, but with ebikes, hills are now irrelevant!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-30-21, 05:59 AM
late

Originally Posted by shelbyfv

Sounds like a nice day! Old thought patterns are hard to break, but with ebikes, hills are now irrelevant!
I have a Shimano 250 watt motor that's a few years old. It helps a lot, but it's still hurts when it gets really steep..
Likes For late:
Old 08-30-21, 06:15 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts
11 dollar egg sandwich is pretty steep
Old 08-30-21, 06:43 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Welcome to old farts e biking adventures. That sounds like a fun ride with very little battery used. We have rides like that when the weather is perfect and the average age of the group climbs towards the 80 mark
Old 08-31-21, 08:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
lol reminds me of a long ride in a tight trisuit under my clothes. at the 1/2 way point I had a coffee & a cookie. as I started back home I threw up a little, to one side & just kept riding. thanks for the memory ;-)
Old 09-05-21, 09:09 AM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

Bikes: Apollo something, 1983 Bianchi Super, Specialized Road

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
sounds like a lot of fun thanks for the post and enjoyable read!

Old 09-15-21, 06:44 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Sounds like a fun ride. I am sure you’re enjoying the weather. Fall is knocking at your door- have fun.
Old 09-15-21, 07:13 AM
late

Originally Posted by Jumpski

Sounds like a fun ride. I am sure you’re enjoying the weather. Fall is knocking at your door- have fun.
Thanks!

I've been on a low carb diet. While I have cheat days, I've lost almost 3 pounds over the last week. I've improved my offbike workouts a lot. I'm in PT, and a Youtube video got me to take stretching seriously. I've never done much stretching, and usually do no stretching at all. I'm sleeping better, and have a lot fewer aches and pains.

A little over a year ago I was in a car crash that left me in agony. If I went to bed, getting up involved some screaming. I didn't think this was possible, and I can't really wrap my head around it. I put it down to my ebike, and just try to keep rolling.
Old 09-15-21, 09:25 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts

For older cyclist (im 83) this is how cycling should be done. Cycling should be for your enjoyment, and not following the "rules" put down by so called real cyclist.