Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bikepackers; chamois shorts or not?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 09-05-21, 08:59 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts

Who Bikepacks wearing road cycling chamois shorts or bibs?
who bikepacks wearing mountain bike shorts?

pros/cons?
Old 09-05-21, 09:30 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 221 Posts
wearing Rapha randonnee shorts (no chamois) and a thin silk underwear with flat seams.
don't want to look like a road cyclist, I do that all year long on the road bike at home.
Likes For str:
Old 09-05-21, 09:42 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Hiking shorts (and underwear). I find capilene underwear easier to wash every night compared to padded shorts.
Likes For gauvins:
Old 09-05-21, 10:26 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Regular road shorts for me.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 09-05-21, 10:52 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Touring (as opposed to bikepacking), I wear mountain bike shorts so that I have some pockets.

Also tour with some bike pants that are convertible, zip off legs and of course a few pockets.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 09-05-21, 04:59 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I wear the same cycling shorts regardless. My current favorite is REI cycling underwear, basically a not too padded shorts with thinner panels. I find they breath very well. When in town or camp I have a pair of nylon sports shorts I pull over top.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 09-06-21, 06:14 PM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I like these, lightly padded, easy to wear when not biking and was/dry quickly:
​​​​​​https://andiamounderwear.com/shop/mens-padded-skins/
Likes For balto charlie:
Old 09-07-21, 05:46 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Rb, how much do you ride? I can't keep track of some user names, I thought you were the NYC dude, but I must be wrong.
Seems that you're trying to suss out stuff from asking folks here, but definitely with this one, you've just gotta ride and ride and listen to what your own butt and bits tell you.

for me personally, unless I'm commuting , I wear the same padded bike shorts for any proper rides, and maybe put some thin overshorts on top if I'm doing a bit of mountain biking. Without padding my arse gets sore, simple as that.

I also find regular padded lycra shorts alone to be cooler in really hot weather, but then to be honest, I don't have any good mountainy type shorts that have padding, so I have to double up, which is just plain hotter naturally. Probably less of an issue when cooler.

re "looks", I don't care about riding with "road" shorts, but I certainly don't want to sit on rough things or fall onto stuff with my good (expensive) bike shorts, so another good reason why ill put on thin over shorts on top mountain biking, but for most any riding even on dirt or whatever, bike shorts only are my choice.

For years I've considered trying some good biking regular looking shorts and maybe padded inners, but in the end just don't bother and prefer to use the money for different tires or something else.

good luck
Likes For djb:
Old 09-07-21, 06:42 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I find the longer the trip the less practical it is to wear a chamois. Having said that I kind of waffle between yay or nay. Either way, I keep riding.
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 09-07-21, 11:54 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I like my cycling shorts whether MTB style or road style when touring dirt/gravel roads as those shorts are comfortable and the chamois eliminates any chadfing worries.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 09-07-21, 01:16 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

djb, I ride 100s of miles a week. No, im not the NYC dude. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-07-21, 01:17 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

" I keep riding"; best comment ever!
Old 09-07-21, 01:41 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
No padding.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 09-07-21, 05:43 PM
djb

Originally Posted by rbrides
djb, I ride 100s of miles a week. No, im not the NYC dude. Thanks for your input.
then you certainly know how your bits and bytes feel from riding!
I guess the only thing of using padded shorts bikepacking would maybe be less opportunity to wash them daily--which Ive always done touring, in campgrounds or motels, and stick them on my panniers the next day if not dry enough. Fast washing certainly is easier with a sink or in a shower. Ive become very adept at fast washing of shorts, jersey and socks.
Likes For djb:
Old 09-08-21, 05:28 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by djb
then you certainly know how your bits and bytes feel from riding!
I guess the only thing of using padded shorts bikepacking would maybe be less opportunity to wash them daily--which Ive always done touring, in campgrounds or motels, and stick them on my panniers the next day if not dry enough. Fast washing certainly is easier with a sink or in a shower. Ive become very adept at fast washing of shorts, jersey and socks.
The washing thing has been a big problem for some. Both the need to wash daily and the need for having them dry at the start of the day seem to be a prime requirement for many or even most. They cite issues with saddle sores and so on. Personally I have not found either to be a big deal and have not found that saddle sores resulted if I wore the same shorts a few days in a row or put them on damp in the morning.

I have gotten by with one pair of shorts on some long trips. Especially in that case I do find it key to get out of them as soon as I am off the bike for the day and into something that lets me air out. Running shorts with a light nylon breif work well for that in camp airing out.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 09-08-21, 05:52 AM
djb

Originally Posted by staehpj1
The washing thing has been a big problem for some. Both the need to wash daily and the need for having them dry at the start of the day seem to be a prime requirement for many or even most. They cite issues with saddle sores and so on. Personally I have not found either to be a big deal and have not found that saddle sores resulted if I wore the same shorts a few days in a row or put them on damp in the morning.

I have gotten by with one pair of shorts on some long trips. Especially in that case I do find it key to get out of them as soon as I am off the bike for the day and into something that lets me air out. Running shorts with a light nylon breif work well for that in camp airing out.
I can only relate this to my experience of really preferring to wash my shorts every day, the saddle sore issue can occur and its just something I want to avoid.
I find washing them right away, getting as much water out by squeezing, let hang while doing shirt and socks, then squeeze lowest sections again, then use part of my towel to "roll and press" gets the most water out.
It's also so important to find the warmest and most open area for wind and sun to greatly reduce drying time. Bunched up overly wet clothes in the shade just won't dry quickly.
it's rare for my stuff not to be dry, but that's why a second pair of padded shorts is the way to go.

this is what works for me, everyone has to find what is ok for them to avoid having uncomfortable nether region issues that can be a real drag.
Likes For djb:
Old 09-08-21, 06:23 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by djb
I can only relate this to my experience of really preferring to wash my shorts every day, the saddle sore issue can occur and its just something I want to avoid.
I find washing them right away, getting as much water out by squeezing, let hang while doing shirt and socks, then squeeze lowest sections again, then use part of my towel to "roll and press" gets the most water out.
It's also so important to find the warmest and most open area for wind and sun to greatly reduce drying time. Bunched up overly wet clothes in the shade just won't dry quickly.
it's rare for my stuff not to be dry, but that's why a second pair of padded shorts is the way to go.

this is what works for me, everyone has to find what is ok for them to avoid having uncomfortable nether region issues that can be a real drag.
Yeh, just to be clear if it is easy to wash my shorts daily I do as well. If I have access to a sink or shower in camp my shorts get washed out too. If I wild camp a few days in a row they may not for that period.

As far as them being damp. I am soaked with sweat while riding most of the time, so I really don't see putting on shorts that are damp with water as a big issue. Sure I wring them out as best I can. I put them in the sun to dry too (inside out), but maybe more to kill what ever may start to live there if left too long. Sun is a great sanitizer.

Saddles sores or even just a bit of chafing can be a real problem if left untreated. I find that for me zinc oxide based diaper cream applied overnight works like magic, but doesn't work well while riding. In the morning and chafing that might have started is cleared up. During the day if any chafing should start one of the udder cremes used for milk cows works great. Some are packaged and sold for human usage and availble at big box stores drugstores, and grocery stores, but they are also available at farm supply stores.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 09-08-21, 06:31 AM
djb

I agree on putting on damp shorts, no big deal other than a bit of a brrrrr feeling on a cool morning, but no different than when we sweat. And I find they dry out riding quite quickly. I just tend to rotate my two shorts, so if it's still damp, I just put on the dry ones.
And yes, airing out and being in sun really does work well, that's my experience as well. Even my shoes don't stink if I do the airing out thing.

oh, and yes i also find the overnight cream thing to really work well too. Just important to catch it right off though.
Likes For djb:
Old 09-08-21, 01:36 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Interesting discussion.

For myself I suffered quite a bit from friction sores on a number of saddles, hence my preference for cycle shorts. A thinner pad, early intervention, creams and trying to stay as dry as possible works for me.
Likes For Happy Feet: