Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Pinkie Numbness

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Pinkie Numbness

Old 09-08-21, 06:58 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Pinkie Numbness

After getting my bike fit, I did two long rides - a 600km with 40k feet of climbing, and a week later a 1200km with similar climbing. I had some tingling in my pinkies after the 600. Now I have numbness in both pinkies and ring fingers.

I'll leave the saddle issues out, that's another story.

During the rides, I was hoods 80% of the time, the rest split between flats and drops. I have to consciously move my hands from the hoods, they go there naturally. I know he'll say to mix it up more, but I wonder about rotating the levers in or out, or moving them up or down.

Any thoughts on what level changes would reduce pressure on the ulnar nerve?

I'm going to make a follow up appointment with my fitter, to see what he recommends for hand adjustments.
Old 09-09-21, 01:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Before you get any crazy ideas from us, you really should wait and give the fitter a chance to solve your issue. What we tell you might work and be helpful. However it might work against something the fitter wants to do that might also help you.

If it gets to the point where you have to abandon the fitter or they abandon you and you still have the pinkie problem, then maybe we can give you some ideas.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-09-21 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-09-21, 02:11 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,888 Times in 1,646 Posts
The results of your fitting might have been predicated on your maintaining a certain power output for 100 or 150 km. Your average power was likely significantly lower for much of the longer rides, resulting in more pressure on the ulnar nerve.

You didn't mention whether you use aero bars. If not, get a set. I've had an ulnar nerve relocation operation, and it's not something I'd wish on anyone else. Even now, 30 years after the operation, the little and ring fingers of my left hand go numb if I ride more than about 20 minutes without using the aero bars. With frequent use of the aero bars during a ride, I can go for four or five or more hours without discomfort.
Old 09-09-21, 04:28 PM
rwh 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Numbness in pinky and ring fingers (only the side next to the pinky of the ring finger) is the classic symptom of ulnar nerve entrapment. See a doctor if it doesn't go away.
Old 10-01-21, 08:52 AM
Cyclist0105
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Rotate the levers in, between 10 to 20 degrees, not more.

And since you are on the hoods most of the time, you may move them up a bit, just up to the point where the levers are still easy to access from the drops. Rotating the dropbar a little bit up would also help for a "hoods rider", but only up to a point where the brake lever is still easily accessible from the drops.

Also make sure the top of the dropbar to the hoods is smooth, without any abrupt contours (that maybe caused by the brake and shifter cables under the bar tape or some mouldings in the hood cover which you can shave off with razor blade).
Yep, and this also. Can you ride with your hands just above the hoods (about a 1/4-inch) without touching? If not, then pressure might be the issue.
Old 10-01-21, 09:22 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Originally Posted by JAG1
Yep, and this also. Can you ride with your hands just above the hoods (about a 1/4-inch) without touching? If not, then pressure might be the issue.
I can for a bit. This ride was roughly 60 hours of riding over four days though.
Old 10-08-21, 12:55 PM
downtube42

Fitter lowered my seat a few mm. When prompted on bar width he measured and said i could go with 44cm, up from 42cm.

I mentioned saddle issues. He wants me to go away from the leather saddle (selle anatomica). He recommended a shop that had a saddle library, where for a small fee i can test a lot of saddles.
He thinks a different saddle may help address hand issues as well.

Wider bars surprised me, but I'm game. And the saddle library sound like a good idea.
Old 10-08-21, 01:05 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts

Some time in the future have your PT build you two of these...