Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Newer dura ace shifters with older front derailleur

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-21, 11:09 AM
Mlesteve
Matt likes bikes

Bikes: Pannasonic AR6000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Newer dura ace shifters with older front derailleur.

Hi all,

I am adding newer bits (dura ace 7700) to an older frame (Panasonic ar6000). The frame was purpose built around the Dura Ace AX groupset in the early eighties. Mostly smooth sailing on the swapping of relevant parts, but running into an issue with the front derailleur.

I have the DA 7700 fd (double) but the angle of the Braze on attachment point on the frame makes it so the far tip of the cage just hits the teeth on the big chainring. I have an angled shim on order, but because I can't source anything local, it'll take X weeks to get it in the mail. In the meantime, I put the DA AX FD back on the bike. Angle with the Braze on is improved, but I just cannot get shifting to work. It appears the cage has sufficient travel (manually moving it over the big chainring to the small chainring), but if I set cable tension tight enough to keep it over the big chainring, the shifters won't downshift to pop it back over the small chainring. If I set tension loose enough appropriate to be over the small chainring, the upshift doesn't seem to travel far enough to pull the cage all the way over the big chainring.

Am I doing something wrong with tension (limit screws are fine... manually pushing the cage it will travel sufficiently)? Are the bits not compatible? For instance does the DA 7700 shifter pull less than what the DA AX front derailleur requires to travel sufficient distance?? That's my hypothesis, but would love to be wrong :-)

Using bits, each quite old, and decades apart from one another is probably the culprit here, but all advice would be very welcomed!!!
Old 09-15-21, 12:30 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,403 Times in 1,204 Posts
Your suspicions are correct: the friction FD doesn’t want to play nice with the indexing shifter.
I’ve had great success GENTLY bending the FD braze-on mount using a long handled crescent wrench. Doesn’t take much at the braze-on to correct the angle of the FD.
Think teeny bits.
Old 09-15-21, 02:30 PM
Mlesteve
Matt likes bikes

Bikes: Pannasonic AR6000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Your suspicions are correct: the friction FD doesn’t want to play nice with the indexing shifter.
I’ve had great success GENTLY bending the FD braze-on mount using a long handled crescent wrench. Doesn’t take much at the braze-on to correct the angle of the FD.
Think teeny bits.
​​​​​​

​​​​​​THank you!! This was my suspicion. For bending the FD Braze on mount, mind sharing more specifics on procedure?? Sound alike something I don't wanna mess up!
Old 09-15-21, 07:23 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,403 Times in 1,204 Posts
Can’t really be more specific than ‘use crescent wrench, gently bend braze-on’
Old 09-16-21, 03:33 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Using 6700 series shifters with a 7sp DA FD currently, but ran it with 7700 in the past. If I remember correctly the cage is wider than the 7700 FD cage. I ended up swinging the back just a bit wide if I remember correctly.
My main issue is that it occasionally dumps the chain off the inside downshifting unless things are perfect. My solution was to put a Deda Dog Fang on the seat tube and all has been well since.