Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

From Varsity to Custom

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

From Varsity to Custom

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-21, 05:48 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
From Varsity to Custom

The addiction started innocently enough in 1971 on a Saturday around 2pm. Dad and I drove to the Schwinn store with my paper route money to buy my first geared bicycle. Eagerly I handed over 104 dollars even including sales tax for a Sierra Brown Varsity with the optional derailleur guard (1 dollar extra). Four years later I was into it deep, reading everything out there about bicycles. Tom Cuthbertson had Bike Tripping in paperback and I read it through and through. Touring was the goal, and I was about to embark on it.
Bought it out of the window at the Schwinn store. Opaque Red Super Sport. This bike served me well on tours from Michigan to Georgia, and up to Canada. After that the world opened up and racing became part of that world. Raleigh's and Miyata's were the race machines. Then in 2000 I was given a couple sets of tubing. Reynolds 531 was one of them and it became my first design and build. Have built a few more to boot.
What was a simple exercise of showing a young man what earning a paycheck, and saving those dollars can do, became a life long obsession and a passion of immense proportions. A tip of the hat to my dad, that wise old man.
Old 09-17-21, 06:39 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Let's hear it for Dads and Moms who teach their children the value that hard-work can lead to great satisfaction in adulthood.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 09-17-21, 07:08 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
It was a few years earlier for me and it was lawn mowing money. Mine was a campus green Varsity. I learned many fine lessons from my Dad, especially the value of things I paid for with my own money. Well written Ti.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 09-17-21, 07:25 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
It was a couple of years later for me. I helped my Grandpa get firewood from the forest in Northern Idaho for a month during summer. I was paid $160, and went straight to Ken's Cycle to pick up my new red 1974 Le Tour.

That bike gave me a newfound freedom.

Thanks Ti, for the memories.