Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

What bike should I get? Still not sure...

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 02-29-20, 12:12 PM
bingsu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a folding bike that'll last and even with all the research I've done, I'm not 100% on what to get.

Wants
  • Something I can upgrade parts to eventually, such disk brakes or maybe even internal hub.
  • 20in wheels, and can take wider
  • Okay to be used in park recreational trails, a few stretches of gravel, dirt tracks, and of course roads and pavements
  • I'm in Toronto, Canada. Mentioning just in case there are options here.
​​​​​​Not sure what frame material would work best with these wants so I'm open to suggestion.

I've narrowed it so far
  • Bike friday, NWT or diamond. Can't find current reviews, so I'm wondering if they are still worth the buy. Seems like they check all the wants. Only issue being, I'm in Canada.
  • Dahon, and there is a supplier in Canada called "powerinmotion.ca". But I'm not 100% sure if these frames are upgradeable in the future, or what life expectancy to expect from the newer frames.
  • Helix looks really neat but looks like they are backed up for a while and $$$.
  • Giant Expressway. There is a store in Toronto. Wonder if it checks the boxes though.
Anything I may have missed?
Honestly, if wish I could just get a BMX bike with long seat post and gears at this point if that existed, haha. Too bad that "hooligan" bike is hard to find.

Thanks!

​​

Last edited by bingsu; 02-29-20 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added Toronto
Old 02-29-20, 12:30 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
I have not owned one, but NWT always gets great reviews.
Old 02-29-20, 01:38 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
BF Llama or NWT, either will work great for you. You can buy new, pre-loved from BF, or get a used one on CL.
Old 02-29-20, 03:42 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
You look for a folding bike but you do not mention any requirement about folding: need to fold (when, why, how often), size folded, ease of folding...

The BMX you mention is not a folding bike.

Do you really need a folding bike or just a small wheel bike ?
Old 02-29-20, 04:04 PM
bingsu

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
You look for a folding bike but you do not mention any requirement about folding: need to fold (when, why, how often), size folded, ease of folding...

The BMX you mention is not a folding bike.

Do you really need a folding bike or just a small wheel bike ?
Often, after every use. Live in a small apartment.
If worse comes to worse and none fit the bill I'm open to a small 20" bike, but that's the max my space can afford.
Old 02-29-20, 06:41 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 72 Posts
I currently have both a Dahon Speed and a Bike Friday Crusoe. I owned the Dahon about a year before I got the BF. I enjoyed the Dahon, but the BF completely outclasses it. It really does feel like a real bike. The Dahon always had some wiggle and shimmy when I hit the bars (handlebars, not drinking bars ), but the BF is solid.

You could also look for a used Xootr Swift. They're reputedly very solid.
Old 02-29-20, 08:14 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I've fallen back in love with my Bike Friday Pocket Rocket. For you, I'd consider the NWT or the Llama like linberl said due to your desire for some gravel cycling. I haven't ridden my PR, but I'm currently getting accustomed to riding it again. I'm taking it to Washington DC on a business trip. I'm going a day before to ride it to Mt. Vernon, then after visiting that historical site, I'll come back to DC and do a small section of the C&O before dinner. In August, I'm bringing it to Oregon to do the Crater Lake Century. I've done the GFNY New York century in 2018 on my BFPR, and it was solid as a rock. And besides, there's no better feeling than passing someone on a folding bike, followed by the huffing and puffing you hear the other rider doing to try and pass you again. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't... it's still fun.
Old 02-29-20, 11:41 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by bingsu
If worse comes to worse and none fit the bill I'm open to a small 20" bike, but that's the max my space can afford.
I have a Dahon Mariner D8 and would highly recommend it. My annual mileage total last year was a bit under 600 (but for the vast majority of that being the last 3 months of the year that wasn't bad) and 225 of those miles were on the Mariner - mostly lightly loaded with 2 panniers and a handlebar bag.

For the price I don't think you can beat it. I think I paid around $650 for it.

It will handle all kinds of asphalt riding, some harder gravel, and hard packed dirt. I would not want to ride any conventional bike on "loose" gravel. The trails I have been on that I would call "gravel" I wouldn't hesitate taking the Mariner on. If a portion was too loose or soft I probably couldn't ride on it with any bike I have anyway.

As for the size and fold-ability - the Mariner, stock, is very easy once you get the hang of it. I swapped out the pedals with combo SPD/platforms as that is the only way I can ride any distance (knee problems). Since the SPD pedals don't fold that is one constraint in my case that is different. The other is that I use Ortleib panniers and their handlebar bag. The mount for the bar bag uses a cable system to lock the mount to the bar. This works very well to hold the bag, however it renders the ability to move the handlebar for folding impossible. The only way to fold the bike is to back the cable lock off the handle bar bag mount by loosening 2 set screws and the cable screw itself. This takes more time to set up and break down (just the bag mount) than folding and unfolding the bike.

WIth that having been said, I make do with the bar bag mount and the way the bike works, for me, is just fine. I have been very happy with the Mariner and I ride it as a regular bike. It isn't just a "travel bike", I actually ride it locally as well as day tours here and out traveling. It has been an absolutely wonderful door opener so I can get some freedom of riding when I cant have a "big bike". And that is perfectly fine - I enjoy it, its comfortable (the stock saddle fits me wonderfully), and suits my riding.

You mention the ability to be upgradable. What I would like to do with mine is add a 2nd chain ring up front - with a lower tooth count. The gearing on the bike is OK for flat ground. The top end, for me, is just fine. I don't really want to be going any faster than I can crank out in top gear on the bike anyway. Climbing hills - now that is another story. That is where the stock gearing is weak.

I will also caution this. Some riders use their grip on the handlebars of a bike to twist around and gain more power in their crank strokes. I believe what I am referring to common from people that have learned to "race". Folding bikes are NOT able to withstand this type of force due to the tall masts/handlebar stems. There is too much leverage in the length of the handlebar post and you will likely break the frame in short order by doing this.

Lastly, the 20" bikes ride great. My "big bike" is a 700c Disk Trucker. Compared to the Disk Trucker the Mariner is very "twitchy". However, this is common to all the small wheel bikes. With that having been said, for it's class - the Mariner really does ride well. And I dare state that it rides even better loaded as you are putting on some mass to counter the twitchy'ness (by mass I mean panniers off the sides of the rear rack down low mostly).
Old 03-01-20, 04:06 AM
Jipe

So it seems that you do not need a folding bike that folds very small ?

In your list of requirements, the point I see that can cause problems is the use of the bike on recreational trails, stretches of gravel and dirt tracks.

You should first look at the maximum tire width accepted by the frame with mudguards.

For this reason, Helix won't fit (only relatively narrow road or BMX tires, no mudguards).

For offroad use, a bike with full suspension would help I think.

Even if its not 20" wheels, I think that a Birdy will fit your needs: it folds well (not as well as a Bormpton but you probably do not need such an easy and small fold) and is easy to carry folded, it has full suspension, it accepts wide tires including off road tires.
Old 03-01-20, 07:14 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I've fallen back in love with my Bike Friday Pocket Rocket. For you, I'd consider the NWT or the Llama like linberl said due to your desire for some gravel cycling. I haven't ridden my PR, but I'm currently getting accustomed to riding it again. I'm taking it to Washington DC on a business trip. I'm going a day before to ride it to Mt. Vernon, then after visiting that historical site, I'll come back to DC and do a small section of the C&O before dinner. In August, I'm bringing it to Oregon to do the Crater Lake Century. I've done the GFNY New York century in 2018 on my BFPR, and it was solid as a rock. And besides, there's no better feeling than passing someone on a folding bike, followed by the huffing and puffing you hear the other rider doing to try and pass you again. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't... it's still fun.
The ride from downtown to Mt Vernon is one of my favourites on a folder, when you get there stop at the bar for a pint and try their chesnut soup...it's like hot liquid peanut butter.

As others have mentioned you can't go wrong with a 20 inch Dahon. Affordable and can handle 90% of the terrain out there. Light dirt or gravel they handle fine, I've used mine on class 1 desert trails without issue. It's the bmx bike with long seat post you mentioned.

Last edited by kayakindude; 03-01-20 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-01-20, 09:51 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Wants
  • Something I can upgrade parts to eventually, such disk brakes or maybe even internal hub.​​
Just FYI, you can't just "upgrade" to disc brakes- the frame has to have integral mounting points for the calipers. Internally-geared hubs generally require horizontal rear dropouts, so conversion of a frame designed for a derailleur-based drivetrain to IGH involves adding a chain tensioner or "half links" to the chain.
Old 03-01-20, 03:32 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Leaving out the upgrading criteria as SWEEKS suggets and I agree, there are a couple of other choices that are available to you in Toronto. For a non-folder you could look at the Moulton's. I test drove this bike here in Toronto and it was far superior to my Brompton. The Brompton won because of the fold, but the bike rides like crap. The other brand that sells well in Toronto is Tern. Urbane Cycles, I believe still sell them.

As others and even yourself mentioned, the Bike Fridays are a class in their own. They are essentially a handmade bike but you pay for this privilege. I don't think you can wrong with that brand.

Last check out the MEC Origami bike. They have two models and one is on sale. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-259/Origami-Bicycle. MEC make great value bikes.

Have fun with whatever you choose.
Old 03-01-20, 04:14 PM
Jipe

For a non folder, the Moulton XTB is probably what fits the best to your requirements.

It will outperform any folder or BMX bike. Its price places it also in another category of bikes.

The Brompton doesn't ride like crap, it rides pretty well on good roads.

Its main drawback is its comfort on bad roads where its small wheels with high pressure relatively narrow tires do not perform well. This will be the case with all small wheel bikes with narrow high pressure tires without full suspension.
Both the Birdy (folder) and Moulton (only separable) have full suspension and accepts wide tires.

Last edited by Jipe; 03-01-20 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-01-20, 08:38 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a folding bike that'll last and even with all the research I've done, I'm not 100% on what to get.

Wants
  • Something I can upgrade parts to eventually, such disk brakes or maybe even internal hub.
  • 20in wheels, and can take wider
  • Okay to be used in park recreational trails, a few stretches of gravel, dirt tracks, and of course roads and pavements
  • I'm in Toronto, Canada. Mentioning just in case there are options here.
​​​​​​Not sure what frame material would work best with these wants so I'm open to suggestion.

I've narrowed it so far
  • Bike friday, NWT or diamond. Can't find current reviews, so I'm wondering if they are still worth the buy. Seems like they check all the wants. Only issue being, I'm in Canada.
  • Dahon, and there is a supplier in Canada called "powerinmotion.ca". But I'm not 100% sure if these frames are upgradeable in the future, or what life expectancy to expect from the newer frames.
  • Helix looks really neat but looks like they are backed up for a while and $$$.
  • Giant Expressway. There is a store in Toronto. Wonder if it checks the boxes though.
Anything I may have missed?
Honestly, if wish I could just get a BMX bike with long seat post and gears at this point if that existed, haha. Too bad that "hooligan" bike is hard to find.

Thanks!

​​
I will not recommend the Bike Friday Pocket Rocket nor NWT if you need to fold the bike every time you use/store it.
They are great riding bikes, but they are more of "bikes that break down for packing" than "fold and go".

Just get a Dahon unless again you have special needs like weight limits/stress, very tall, etc.
Likes For pinholecam:
Old 03-01-20, 10:10 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
If you live in/near a big city, go on Craigslist and test ride folders that are for sale.
Old 03-02-20, 02:05 AM
flc97404a

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you checked TERN VERGE S8I its got most of the high-end options you may want?
Old 03-02-20, 09:23 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by flc97404a
Have you checked TERN VERGE S8I its got most of the high-end options you may want?
Tern bikes have a history of frame failure,...I don't recommend them at all.
Old 03-02-20, 07:13 PM
flc97404a

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tds101 I have been informed you have been known to be rude and speak before you think, all you know is the bad on something like the TERN company, they have improved, yes the past they have had problems, but doesn't everybody like you, let the thread starter do his own investigation before leaving negative comment.

Last edited by BillyD; 03-03-20 at 02:41 PM. Reason: insult
Old 03-02-20, 09:11 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

tds101 I have been informed you have been known to be rude and speak before you think, all you know is the bad on something like the TERN company, they have improved, yes the past they have had problems, but doesn't everybody like you, let the thread starter do his own investigation before leaving negative comment.
For someone with 2 posts you seem really defensive of your capitalized TERN.

Last edited by BillyD; 03-03-20 at 02:43 PM. Reason: cleanup
Likes For kayakindude:
Old 03-02-20, 09:14 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
tds101 I have been informed you have been known to be rude and speak before you, all you know is the bad on something like the TERN company, they have improved, yes the past they have had problems, but doesn't everybody like you, let the thread starter do his own investigation before leaving negative comment.
Too bad you made this personal, have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and show a complete lack of knowledge and intelligence. Don't speak on matters that you are i'll informed of. Apparently you're too childish to be polite.
https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...rn-recall.html

Last edited by BillyD; 03-03-20 at 02:43 PM. Reason: cleanup
Old 03-02-20, 09:22 PM
flc97404a

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kayakindude
For someone with 2 posts you seem really defensive of your capitalized TERN.
At least am not negative towards the main topic of the tread, keep it positive that goes for you too.
Old 03-02-20, 09:44 PM
flc97404a

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
then don't be negative towards my reply to the thread without explaining why tern is not good to you, I know enough about their problems in the past and they have made corrections towards the issues they had. Grumpy old man...
Old 03-03-20, 08:47 AM
kayakindude

At least am not negative towards the main topic of the tread, keep it positive that goes for you too.
Perhaps you might be taken seriously if you didn't go negative and call a member names. How about telling the poster why Tern is a good option? What is it you most enjoy about the bike?
Old 03-03-20, 08:55 AM
tomtomtom123

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Dahon k3 plus 16 has 9 speed cassette on 16 inch wheels with disc brakes for 500 to 600 dollars. But only available in Hong Kong. Under 10kg. You could probably put on a 10 speed 11-42 cassette with a 10 speed shifter and Shimano zee Rd, or else an 11-34t 11 speed cassette if it has an 11 speed hub, and double chainrings, altho the Rd is probably limited to SS short cage. It could probably fit in a regular sized regulation suit case without disassembly

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 03-03-20 at 09:03 AM.
Likes For tomtomtom123:
Old 03-03-20, 09:43 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I would encourage the OP purchase ASAP. The coronavirus has broken supply chains. I expect everyone will sell out of inventory. This rational applies to all industries.

FYI several countries will not allow Chinese goods in. I believe this dynamic is likely to expand and could have horrible consequences for the global economy.

Please understand that if one component from a bike/TV/computer is made in China then the entire product may be part of a broken supply chain.

I don't think the modern world has experienced anything like this before. I'm curious to see how it plays out.

Thanks
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Likes For downtube:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.