Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Noob who needs some help with Cannondale Quick 7

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-20, 02:21 PM
Vfourteen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I recently picked up a Cannondale Quick 7 - 2017 for $300 but it needs some TLC.

I think it has Shimano EF51, EZ-Fire, 3x8's but the problem is the plastic "display" is cracked on them so I have no idea what gear I'm in without looking down at the chain. Can anyone point me in the direction of something I could replace them with? And is it worth it to go separate shifter/separate brake? or should I keep them combined.

I also think I need a more "grippy" pedal. I don't know that I need full on pedals where the shoes lock in, but something that's a little more grippy. I just ride 6-15 miles mostly around the neighborhood, some dirt trails, nothing too crazy, usually wear a pair of nike running shoes or vans.

Lastly, I might just not be used to it, but the saddle feels really hard. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a little more comfort?

Thanks
Old 10-24-20, 03:15 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Just do a Google search for Shimano 3x8 mtb shifters and take you pick (Shimano Tourney TX800 3x8 Speed Shifter set or Shimano ST-EF500 Ez Fire Plus STI Shifter Set) I've always prefered separate shifter pods / brake levers.

Just do a Google search grippy mtb pedals (Vp-531 Wide Pedal, Wellgo Alloy ATB Pedals, BBB Cycling MountainHigh BPD-32 Flat Pedals, MKS MT Lux Comp Alloy Pedals) / bear trap pedals (Wellgo Old school BMX XC-II bear trap Bicycle Bike pedals 9/16")...metal studs on 'flaties' are popular...again big choice and various price points...

Saddles are tircky things...ride on them often to get used to them, wear padded cycling shorts...I can give saddle recommendations that I find comfortable that you may find unbearable. CHARGE SPOON CROMO SADDLE or FABRIC SCOOP SPORT SHALLOW...I'd recommend these for the casual rider I suppose. I never ride without padded cycling shorts, short distance, long distance. Call it a force of habit...I rotate with four different bikes with three diffent saddles...Padding means I never have an issue with any of them. I would consider the all my saddles comfortable, then again my butt has been sat on many types of saddle for nearly 40 years...
Old 10-24-20, 03:23 PM
Vfourteen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is SUPER helpful, exactly the type of response I was looking for. Do you have any recommendations for a budget friendly separate set?
Likes For Vfourteen:
Old 10-24-20, 04:04 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Vfourteen
That is SUPER helpful, exactly the type of response I was looking for. Do you have any recommendations for a budget friendly separate set?
Shimano Altus SL-M310 3/8 3X8 Speed Trigger Shifter worth a look.
Old 10-25-20, 11:17 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
The SL-M315 is an update of the M310 and generally feels a bit better to me. This line is available as 7- and 8-speed right side shifters and as 2- and 3-speed left side shifters. You can also do Revoshift grip shifters (available in 8-speed) if you like that style of shifter. As far as the separate brake levers, brand doesn't really matter -- just mind the style (long pull levers for V-brakes or MTB-style cable disc brakes).

Race Face Chester pedals are often recommended for "sticky" pedals. I have a set on a fat bike and they're pretty darn good.