Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Losing strength in my left hand.

Old 01-07-21, 02:46 PM
Texboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Losing strength in my left hand.

Ever since I ride a bike for 1-2 hours, my left hand is losing strength. I have a hard time writing. I wear a pair of cycling gloves, but these seems are not helping.
Old 01-10-21, 09:11 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by Texboy
Ever since I ride a bike for 1-2 hours, my left hand is losing strength. I have a hard time writing. I wear a pair of cycling gloves, but these seems are not helping.
I have lost a lot of strength in my right. Most specifically the tricep and a little in the shoulders, bicep, and grip strength.

You need to go to a doctor. They will probably order an MRI.

In my case, it is stenosis at the C7 level and a slight herniated disc at C4 and C5.

I'm currently in PT. This consists of a little back massage and time in a neck stretching machine. I've probably got 50% strength now, instead of maybe 10% from a month or two ago. Still very weak.

A decompression surgery is probably in my future but hopefully not soon.

How does your bike fit?
Old 03-21-21, 09:00 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Look up "cyclists palsy"

It sounds like the classic symptoms for "cyclists palsy" https://www.220triathlon.com/trainin...w-to-treat-it/. It is the result of damage to the ulnar nerve from pressure on the palm of your hand on the handlebars. I tried to compensate by going from using a road bike to using a mountain bike with front suspension, and finally to a recumbent where there was no pressure on the palm of my hand. Unfortunately the damage had been done by then and nerve transmission was reduced by 70% in my right hand. I got substantial relief following carpal tunnel surgery. In our current health care system it took multiple trips to different doctors performing many tests before the simple cure was agreed to. I can now ride for extended periods with no consequences. Before surgery I had a hard time with fine motor tasks like writing. That's gone now.