Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

HELP! problems about new wheels

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-21, 06:52 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts

I bought a wheelset from ebay , dt-swiss xr1501. Today they were delivered but one of those os not in a good shape.
The seller claimed that those wheels had almost 1000km (620miles) but by inspecting the hub etc i think they have a lot more.
The rear wheel is fine , but the front seems to have a big hit , please inspect those videos:
Few questions:
1-Do you think the problem can be fixed?
2-Do you think i can feel the problem while i ride?
3-Do you think they are woth 150€ (180$)?
4-Do you think i must open an ebay inquiry to gave the wheels back?
Old 04-21-21, 07:38 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
It sure seems like (possible pun) that the ft rim has a flat spot in it, likely from impact. But unless the axle is held more rigidly then how it can be in only hands it's hard to know the actual amount of possible flat. It could be a really heavy seam causing the wheel to hop with the weight. So to the mounted in fork with tire vid only shows a possibly un seated tire as there's no side view of the rim (and this mounted attempt would have solved my first comment, had we seen the rim instead of the tire).

1- If it is a flat spot, and I think it is, then not likely to be fixed well as it looks to be such a short area of the rim. Spokes can do wonders if a low point involves many spokes. This doesn't look like that.
2- I don't know. Why don't you find out?
3- That's for you to decide. If you had known of this issue would you have bought them? If not there's your answer.
4- I don't know all the EBay requirements but I suspect you should should first contact the seller and ask for a return as you seem to feel that the wheels are not what was described. Andy
Old 04-21-21, 07:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Might be why the original owner got new and put these up on eBay.

Depending on what you bought them for and difference for retail new... you might take them to a wheel builder or bike shop mechanic with some wheel experience and get their opinion of whether it needs little or a lot to be made right.

Or, just try and get your money back.

Though from the videos, with the bike frame and fork not held immobile by a stand or something, it was difficult for me to decide how much of a problem this is. But looks like enough to feel as you ride.
Old 04-21-21, 08:01 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
It sure seems like (possible pun) that the ft rim has a flat spot in it, likely from impact. But unless the axle is held more rigidly then how it can be in only hands it's hard to know the actual amount of possible flat. It could be a really heavy seam causing the wheel to hop with the weight. So to the mounted in fork with tire vid only shows a possibly un seated tire as there's no side view of the rim (and this mounted attempt would have solved my first comment, had we seen the rim instead of the tire).

1- If it is a flat spot, and I think it is, then not likely to be fixed well as it looks to be such a short area of the rim. Spokes can do wonders if a low point involves many spokes. This doesn't look like that.
2- I don't know. Why don't you find out?
3- That's for you to decide. If you had known of this issue would you have bought them? If not there's your answer.
4- I don't know all the EBay requirements but I suspect you should should first contact the seller and ask for a return as you seem to feel that the wheels are not what was described. Andy
2- i don't have all the parts (i have center lock disks and those wheels require 6bolts).
Old 04-21-21, 07:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
2- Do you have the old wheels that were on your bike before? If so the leave the rear installed so the rear brake works and test fit the front w/out the brake working. Take care while test riding and then find out.

It's been my experience that when someone is in your position there's not much to convince them that they should keep what they question so strongly. So independent of what you find out after trying this wheel I would suggest seeking return and refund. Andy
Old 04-21-21, 08:45 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
...has a flat spot...
Yep...
I have bought allot of things off of Ebay and only had to return a few. This wheel needs to go back.

If you have a doubt just ping each one of the spokes individually. You will hear a change in the ping where the flat spot is. When you do just think of the condition of the rest of the wheel spokes and hub components. I do a ping test on my wheels when I air my tires just for reassurance. It should be part of your Pre-Flight Check List...

Last edited by zandoval; 04-21-21 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-26-21, 02:11 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by zandoval
Yep...
I have bought allot of things off of Ebay and only had to return a few. This wheel needs to go back.

If you have a doubt just ping each one of the spokes individually. You will hear a change in the ping where the flat spot is. When you do just think of the condition of the rest of the wheel spokes and hub components. I do a ping test on my wheels when I air my tires just for reassurance. It should be part of your Pre-Flight Check List...
today im going to send them back ,