Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I REALLY did it...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I REALLY did it...

Old 05-16-21, 08:07 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
I REALLY did it...

I realize I've been talking about selling off most of my bike collection for awhile (on this and other forums), when suddenly I came to a moment of clarity... and I actually DONATED (yes, gave away) 18 of my bikes, some of which I vowed would never leave my stable... (ok, I'm being a bit dramatic perhaps)... to a GREAT COMMUNITY organization in Asbury Park, NJ called Second Life Bikes. If you're local to NJ you probably know about it... If not you should. Kerri Martin founded this "store" a good 10 or so years ago, and has been teaching local kids in the community how to fix and care for (and ultimately work their way towards owning) a bike from the store. The work they do for the community is simply awe-inspiring, and I am SO HAPPY (weepy-eyed, actually) to bestow 18 of my favorite things to these folks in hopes they will ALL find homes with someone for whom a bike can REALLY make a difference in their life (JUST as it has for so many of us lucky ones).

I'm not trying to score pats on the back or a place in bicycle heaven... Kerri Martin and her team have already got that well-covered. No, for me it's simply about being around these bicycles (and among a community of bike lovers like this forum)... The hours I spent restoring, building, riding, showing them off to anyone who would stop me to talk about them... all these things have brought me such great joy... AND THAT ALONE is enough. But to know there will be someone out there who will find one of these gems and make it his/hers... that's every part as much of the true joy of restoring classic and vintage bikes.

I don't even want to start listing what I donated... only to say if you're in the market for a project bike or something that is ready-to-ride, Second Life Bikes may have one for you (because they also have bikes for sale, to help fund their great organization). They also accept donations of frames, wheels, parts, accessories... and TIME... If you like to wrench and fix up bikes (well duh, stupid assertion), Second Life can ALWAYS use a hand.

Please check em out. I love these folks.

Peace,
Bobby Birmingham

​​​​​​​
Old 05-16-21, 08:26 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,288 Times in 2,148 Posts
-----

looks like the Ridgeline gets a wee spot o exercise as well

is the montclair in your handle a reference to Montclair NJ?

several years back i purchased a used automobile whose original owner was in Montclair

my home is nearby another Montclair - this one is a neighbourhood in Oakland, CA

all best wishes!

-----
Old 05-16-21, 08:31 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 64 Posts
Bobby It is a good feeling to give someone a present, even better the way you did it. You don't have to worry about if they will take care of the gift as you do not know who will get each bike. I gave a lot of parts and wheels to the local co-op when I sold my house three years ago. There eyes lit up and it made me happy to do it. Selling is OK if you really need the money. I have been in many hobby's and see people get compulsive and start buying more than is really needed. I know it is hard to do but I am happy for you and your generosity. .
Ed
Likes For EddyR:
Old 05-16-21, 08:58 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Bravo - that's a great way to do it.

-Kurt

Old 05-17-21, 12:12 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Good for you and for what it is worth, I have been there and done that a time or two myself. Helping others is a wonderful way to live your life.
Old 05-17-21, 01:02 AM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by montclairbobbyb
I realize I've been talking about selling off most of my bike collection for awhile (on this and other forums), when suddenly I came to a moment of clarity... and I actually DONATED (yes, gave away) 18 of my bikes, some of which I vowed would never leave my stable... (ok, I'm being a bit dramatic perhaps)... to a GREAT COMMUNITY organization in Asbury Park, NJ called Second Life Bikes. If you're local to NJ you probably know about it... If not you should. Kerri Martin founded this "store" a good 10 or so years ago, and has been teaching local kids in the community how to fix and care for (and ultimately work their way towards owning) a bike from the store. The work they do for the community is simply awe-inspiring, and I am SO HAPPY (weepy-eyed, actually) to bestow 18 of my favorite things to these folks in hopes they will ALL find homes with someone for whom a bike can REALLY make a difference in their life (JUST as it has for so many of us lucky ones).

I'm not trying to score pats on the back or a place in bicycle heaven... Kerri Martin and her team have already got that well-covered. No, for me it's simply about being around these bicycles (and among a community of bike lovers like this forum)... The hours I spent restoring, building, riding, showing them off to anyone who would stop me to talk about them... all these things have brought me such great joy... AND THAT ALONE is enough. But to know there will be someone out there who will find one of these gems and make it his/hers... that's every part as much of the true joy of restoring classic and vintage bikes.

I don't even want to start listing what I donated... only to say if you're in the market for a project bike or something that is ready-to-ride, Second Life Bikes may have one for you (because they also have bikes for sale, to help fund their great organization). They also accept donations of frames, wheels, parts, accessories... and TIME... If you like to wrench and fix up bikes (well duh, stupid assertion), Second Life can ALWAYS use a hand.

Please check em out. I love these folks.

Peace,
Bobby Birmingham

​​​​​​​
Wow !
Good for you !
Reckon karma will pay you back ten fold !
I have been given , and given away a fair few machines over the years .
Either end of the deal it is a good feeling .

HAve fun !
Be safe !
Ride bike(s)
Old 05-17-21, 10:05 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
We'll have to start calling this the Bobby Birmingham Challenge.

If you can afford to, at some point in your life, give most or all of your bikes away.
Old 05-17-21, 10:13 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
If you can afford to, at some point in your life, give most or all of your bikes away.
And if you don't want to get rid of your own bikes, do your best to fix up unwanted bikes and give them away - or find bike share providers retiring their bikes and help them repurpose them for personal use and then give them away.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 05-18-21, 07:17 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
And if you don't want to get rid of your own bikes, do your best to fix up unwanted bikes and give them away - or find bike share providers retiring their bikes and help them repurpose them for personal use and then give them away.

-Kurt
Or, join/start a bicycle co-op like I and two other guys did. Since then we have collected thousands of bikes, salvaging some for components and sending the more worthy ones to Africa. The group, of which I speak, is Bicycles for Humanity. My guess is that there are bike co-ops or humanitarian groups just like the one we started in every major city in the US, Canada and Europe.

Due to illness, I had to retire from being an active member but by that time we had sent over 6000 bikes, and components, and wheel chairs and... to people in need in Namibia...

This is a donation to our group from a near by city...

Bikes that are not appropriate for use in third world riding conditions are refurbished and sold locally...
Old 05-18-21, 09:28 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Congrats! I am SO glad I did not take you up on your offer to discuss what you were selling...I see 3-5 bikes, at least, that I would have ended up with......Glad they are going to new and hopefully forever homes!
Old 05-18-21, 11:00 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked 2,033 Times in 1,246 Posts
Originally Posted by EddyR
(I) see people get compulsive and start buying more than is really needed...
Exactly!...er, no,sorry, don't know anyone like that on this forum.
Well done Bobby.

Wish my name was as cool as yours....Warren Birmingham. Nope, doesn't work.
Old 05-18-21, 12:34 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 984 Posts
Bravo, OP! Those weren't $0.00 bikes you donated either! Being able to give to an organization that helps others both here and/or abroad is rewarding in and of itself. Do we see the beneficiaries in person? Very likely no, and very likely we'll never. And it's not for the "points" but like you've said, as the bicycle has given you joy, so you are delighted to pass the joy (and resulting freedom of mobility/movement/etc) along to others. Not a "I should do this" but a "I want to do this." I've been blessed to be a part of a local non-profit bike shop that does the similar things, volunteering the last several years (covid stuff put the clamp down on it, so that sucked). We're starting up again, so hopefully it will get to a time slot that I can work with.
Old 05-18-21, 05:33 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
"A moment of clarity" indeed. Well played sir.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 05-19-21, 01:36 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Way to go

Way to go. Great way to make a donation..

I would like to see a co-op here in SE Wisconsin. Only ones I know are in Milwaukee, not any that I know of here in Kenosha area.
Old 05-19-21, 06:40 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
A very honorable move on your part and kudos to you. I go into a local bike coop near me because I don't have a decent space or all the tools to fix bikes so I am grateful that places like these exist for people like me. They sell the bikes that people like yourself donate, to fund all the equipment, tools, space, etc...and it all goes to charity.

It's such a nice thing to see in this particular time, especially as I browse through market sites and see so many people trying to sell their bikes at outrageous prices, taking advantage of a hot bike market and short supply.
Old 05-19-21, 07:03 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Impressive! My new plan on the way out, and in case it catches me by surprise, I’m showing this to my wife.
Tim
Old 05-19-21, 01:16 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
I have long donated various surplus items to charitable organizations, but I have started advertising free stuff in our local NextDoor.com, and I have held "everything free" yard sales. It is great to help one's neighbors.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-19-21, 06:13 PM
mcgregorj 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 22 Posts
Good stuff. Kerri and Second Life are both great.
Old 05-20-21, 09:30 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
Your write off on the Brooks saddles alone would be almost 4 digits. Glad to see it all went to a good cause. I must have missed it, but why did you clean house and what did you keep? I ask because I have been contemplating emptying my parts bin and donating it all because the longer I hold on to all this stuff I'll just keep building up new bikes, selling them and then adding more parts.

Second Life Bikes looks like a worthy charity, next time I'm heading down the shore I will swing up there and make a donation.
Old 05-20-21, 11:09 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 142 Posts
Great philanthropy. I donated my stash 20 years ago after a divorce, to the local bike co-op. Now I've got a new stash that I need to deal with......
Old 05-20-21, 11:52 AM
coleary00

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Kudos to you!