Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 05-19-21, 05:03 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Had a decent World's, was solidly in the second group for the second week in a row and probably did about 30% of the work up the hill.

I just really have to work on my positioning; I haven't really cared going in to the start at 45-50 places back, but I've been too far back to hop on the lead group. The frustrating thing is you have to fight 10 guys going into that are going to get dropped in the first mile. I think if can get in front I may be able to hold on; they're half my age and a higher cat, but if I just leech on I may be okay!
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 05-20-21, 03:33 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Had a decent World's, was solidly in the second group for the second week in a row and probably did about 30% of the work up the hill.

I just really have to work on my positioning; I haven't really cared going in to the start at 45-50 places back, but I've been too far back to hop on the lead group. The frustrating thing is you have to fight 10 guys going into that are going to get dropped in the first mile. I think if can get in front I may be able to hold on; they're half my age and a higher cat, but if I just leech on I may be okay!
Sounds a lot like my Worlds. The other guys are younger and real powerhouses on a course that's more rolling. There are two 4-5 minute climbs, but they're 4 to 5%, so aero and pure power count.

Anyway, if I'm not on a good day, I can pull through the whole way, and even be up there on the climbs. Tired, or off day, and I'm struggling to hang on the climbs and skipping pulls. All in all, l like it this way. If I didn't have to go so deep (and I do, whether my legs are good or bad) I could get the same effect from a solo ride.
Likes For Yep:
Old 05-20-21, 06:07 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I don't, actually!
It's the fat around my belly and legs that allow me to go downhill really fast, but not very fast uphill.

Think cottage cheese thighs.
Old 05-20-21, 09:47 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
today had me doing 3x23min, with one minute at 135% then settling in for the remaining 22min at 90%, wasn't too bad but that first minute got rougher with each interval, hopefully getting some heat adaptation in my now >70 degree basement. the next couple of weeks will be throwing some of TR's more challenging sweet spot workouts my way, level 9 and 10 stuff. Don't know if I mentioned this, but they've completely revamped their plans, with 2 really easy days, 3 tougher workouts, and one moderate with the SSB HV phase
Old 05-20-21, 10:05 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret

Ours is only like 20 folks. Even then I choose to hurt a hair more in the first 5 miles rotating with the front 5 to 6 folks (where behind you gaps form and folks don't rotate). I find if I'm in that group that can't/won't rotate at the first, the surges of the "yoyo" are worse than just rotating. Usually around mile 5 we shed the yoyo folks and each of us can then sit in without worrying about gaps forming if you're in the back folks, then can contribute after catching a bit of rest.

Seems silly with just 20 of us, but that yoyo feel if you're spots 15 thru 20 just ain't worth it to me.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-20-21, 01:29 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
Fiesta, solo, road bike - 30on/30off with a target of 120%. I did 4x(10’, 30on/30off).

It was overcast, cool and windy at Fiesta. Front straight was fast and back straight directly into the wind. Doing a 30 second on segment with the wind was like motor pacing. Today would be a great to to ride to San Clemente and take the train back.

I wanted to test the intermittent fasting on a higher power more effort basis. I felt really good the last set and was generally 125% or above. There may be something to intermittent fasting and increasing performance.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-20-21, 01:55 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Tied a 20' PR on Tuesday at Fiesta, 325w. This is the last time I will test until nearly 6 months from now when I want to establish a fitness baseline and monitor my progress through base training and into the season.

On paper at least, I wanted 329w, which would be the magical 5.0 w/kg (at test value). I road the first 10' at 320w, which was my test value from last month, and was able to push it up 5 watts in the second half. I was hurting at the end but not dying. I think that I may have had it in the legs, but I didn't quite have the courage to reach for it. So maybe I didn't want it bad enough.

Still, I'm happy with the results and with my fitness for sustained efforts. I have a pursuiter's profile and the longer power bands have always been a weakness for me, relative to my competition. On the flip side, I feel like I can motor at 350 - 375w for quite a while, then recover quickly, and do it again. At my weight and size that can afford me some pretty good speed.
Old 05-20-21, 02:17 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Did a Zwift race last week because I had no motivation. Took me from 7pm to 9pm just to get around to getting on the bike. So I did whatever race was next. It was a short (25-30 min) race 4x around the Volcano flat route. There is one 20 second climb at 5% and the rest is flat.

80 riders were in the race, mostly from Asia and the Americas because of the time, and it was a mass start so, being a B group rider, I tried to latch onto the A group and hold on as long as possible. 21 of us were in the lead group. My average power increased each lap and I kept expecting to blow up but never did. The first time into the very short hill was a surprise and I almost got shelled off the back because I wasn't paying attention. The other three times I made sure to be at the front so I could drift back. The power increase didn't seem that high (increase from 310 to 415) but my legs didn't really want to respond.

Three people eventually rode off the front. Since I have no sprint I ramped up the power over the last few minutes hoping to drop as many riders as possible. Power over the last five minutes was 286, 290, 321, 357, 433 and I ended up 7th overall. I did not sprint.

Checking ZwiftPower the three people who rode off the front weren't there so I finished 4th, second in the B group by 0.5s and 2s off the A group winner. Total race time was 28:07 and my FTP went up from 283 to 303, which was a complete shock. The B group winner saw his FTP increase by 12W.

So hooray for a race that put all Cats together and hooray for the idea of riding with people stronger than you.
Likes For guachi:
Old 05-21-21, 06:48 AM
ntnyln

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Since I'm an o'dark thirty kind of guy, all my weekday training is done on the trainer using Zwift and workouts sent by my coach. Easy day today. 2hrs endurance on TT bike. My goals this year are TT focused, so started using a mirror in front of me to keep track of shoulder and head position. It's made a big difference in bringing perception closer to reality.

Last edited by ntnyln; 05-21-21 at 04:34 PM.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 05-21-21, 07:42 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Short lower duration ride last night with some intensity to keep the cannon primed for tomorrow.

Why is it that some people see a rider coming and just cannot resist dialing up the silly? When I'm out riding if someone starts to go by, I keep doing my thing. Let them go. I may even take a turn to add a few seconds to my route to give them space. I have a plan for a workout or enjoyment ride of one kind or another that doesn't revolve around messing with other people.

I leave the 'hood to head down the hill to one loop I do to do a few efforts and I start catching up to a guy. I see the light is going to be red ahead so ease up and let him have his space. He rolls the light ahead of me without so much as slowing up. There's a set of trees at this light and a fence by one house so you can't reasonably know the coast is clear. I give it the "cyclist stop" then go on. I catch him again heading up the tiny roller and as I do dude immediately starts to try to catch up. Eff that noise man. I went ahead and dropped him and cruised on to my loop. No other way to get to the loop and I wasn't about to play games for the next mile.

I just don't get that. If you KNOW the person, like personally or ride with them a lot, sure. Say hi, fart around a few minutes. But total strangers? C'mon man. Fredsville stuff. Plus, I'm on a TT bike. I don't want you near me.

It isn't totally immune from other sports. I've been on runs where I'm cruising what is a tougher pace for me personally and pass a "runner stud" that is likely on a recovery run. They cannot resist dialing it up as you go by and toasting you like some cheap bread. I just let them go on with their bad self.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-21-21, 11:54 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Short lower duration ride last night with some intensity to keep the cannon primed for tomorrow.

Why is it that some people see a rider coming and just cannot resist dialing up the silly? When I'm out riding if someone starts to go by, I keep doing my thing. Let them go. I may even take a turn to add a few seconds to my route to give them space. I have a plan for a workout or enjoyment ride of one kind or another that doesn't revolve around messing with other people.

I leave the 'hood to head down the hill to one loop I do to do a few efforts and I start catching up to a guy. I see the light is going to be red ahead so ease up and let him have his space. He rolls the light ahead of me without so much as slowing up. There's a set of trees at this light and a fence by one house so you can't reasonably know the coast is clear. I give it the "cyclist stop" then go on. I catch him again heading up the tiny roller and as I do dude immediately starts to try to catch up. Eff that noise man. I went ahead and dropped him and cruised on to my loop. No other way to get to the loop and I wasn't about to play games for the next mile.

I just don't get that. If you KNOW the person, like personally or ride with them a lot, sure. Say hi, fart around a few minutes. But total strangers? C'mon man. Fredsville stuff. Plus, I'm on a TT bike. I don't want you near me.

It isn't totally immune from other sports. I've been on runs where I'm cruising what is a tougher pace for me personally and pass a "runner stud" that is likely on a recovery run. They cannot resist dialing it up as you go by and toasting you like some cheap bread. I just let them go on with their bad self.
I get this on the coast a lot. It never used to bother me, but recently I said good morning to a guy at a light and he didn't even respond, then proceeded to get on my wheel after it turned green. I wasn't having it. I sat up, waved him through, let him have a little gap, then passed him with enough momentum so that it would be a hard acceleration to get back on.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 05-22-21, 03:17 PM
hubcyclist

today was a doozy, 2hrs with 5x15 around 90%, only 3min RBI so pretty challenging, not to mention I did this in the afternoon and it's about 88 degrees lol. I also had to ride 1hr before and after (the after suuuuucked), so ended up getting 200tss today
Old 05-23-21, 08:36 PM
furiousferret

I had to back off on my diet. My hours have been the same but with group rides on the menu now the intensity is up. Added about 200 calories a day, I'm real close to getting goal weight, I'm going to have to get my wife to do bodyfat measurements but I'm probably around 8%.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 05-24-21, 03:49 AM
ntnyln

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Big volume weekend with 8.5 hrs. Saturday was 3.5 hours with 6x(3'x3') VO2 intervals sandwiched between Z2 riding. Sunday was a free ride day, but I needed between 4 and 5 hours. Ended up doing 5 hours. 1084 TSS for the week and my highest CTL ever. We spent all last year building up to be able to handle the workload, now I'm finding that the hard part is finding the time to do the work.

Last edited by ntnyln; 05-24-21 at 10:16 AM.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 05-24-21, 08:29 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
I've been doing our group race-like ride the 3 of the last 4 Sundays and having a blast. I've been able to stay with the front group and each week join into more of the attacks and sometimes breaks. A lot of winter intervals on the trainer have suited me well this year, but I'm glad to get to more unstructured hard rides. Can't wait for some races to start in just over a week.
Likes For cmh:
Old 05-24-21, 08:39 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Aiming for 40+ min of z4 today on Zwift. Couldn't decide between a SST Epic KOM warmup + 2 lap Innsbruck A race, or a longer London Classique race. I chose the latter, but forgot to tighten the quick release on the trainer, lol. Shifting was garbage, and after I stood out of the saddle, the dropout came all the way out haha. I stopped and re-set it and hammered the front of a chase group for another 15 min. Starting Innsbruck in 5 min.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-24-21, 04:47 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
Saturday Fiesta 2x20k TTT, Sunday an hour endurance ride and today my first track workout at San Diego Velodrome in 17 months. Good grief.

20 lap warmup, accelerations and jumps and then in pursuit setup, 8k of 3 laps (kilo) taking turns with my wife leading out for a fast one lap and then two recovery. Then 2k team pursuit followed by a warm down.

Beautiful day at the track with light winds and temps in the low 70s.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-25-21, 09:44 AM
hubcyclist

today was 70min of uninterrupted sweet spot made up of 10min intervals from 85-95%, 95% was tough the 2nd time around lol but I'm at sweet spot progression level 9.5 on the new TR classification system. 2 more weeks of SSB, i'm looking forward to trying out short power build with adaptive training
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 05-25-21, 02:54 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Back into the swing of things. Semester is done. Thesis is written. Sleep is being had. Intervals are being done.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 05-25-21, 03:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Looks like just as I was feeling like I was getting fit, I'm going to have to dial back. I have a shingles outbreak. So far, it's been pretty mild: fatigue, low grade headache, and of course a pretty painful rash. The doctor didn't give me any restrictions other than avoid anyone who could be susceptible to chicken pox. I can work from home as much as I can tolerate. And he didn't give me any restriction on exercise, so I may do some mellow rides on the trainer, but I'm not doing any hard efforts for now. Blergh.
Old 05-25-21, 09:38 PM
furiousferret

So remember last week when I complained about positioning at World?

I was perfect today, latching on the lead group of 5. Unfortunately, I was found wanting and couldn't hold on....I held 5 w/kg (technically 5.0624 but who's counting) for 10 minutes, but the lead kid held 5.9 lol. Yeah....

Still PR'ed my 5 minute power (334w), 10 minute power (310w) at 135 lbs...the sad thing is all that only put me 10 seconds ahead of the 2nd group, who are vastly inferior riders but rotate and work together. Its also only a PR by 2 seconds up the hill, since I was solo half the way up. So there's a lesson there I think.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 05-26-21, 07:02 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Started attending a weeknight TT group. A couple nights a month they do a "club run". I ripped it last night. Paced perfect. 6.66 miles at 26mph including the u-turn on a route at 62ft per mile elevation. So, NOT flat for this area. Road helmet and jersey but still had the deep wheels on there.

I was really impressed with the speed given just the additional 25w or so input I can give for a 20ish minute effort versus a whole hour. With the TT helmet and skinsuit probably closer to 26.5 or so.

I may do this all summer.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-26-21, 07:44 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
Sounds fun.
Old 05-26-21, 05:02 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Chainless day on the bike today and I just felt amazing and willing to pedal into anaerobic zones till the end. Was climbing at SST all day and it felt like Z2. Used some PTO so I could get some TSS, ended up with 6:19 rolling, 102 miles and 5k elevation.

I've been feeling quite good on the bike over my last few hard workouts (Sat, then M/T/W this week) which is good timing for the Tour de Murrieta next weekend and several other racing goals, including the start of weekly track racing next Tuesday 6/1. Between now and TdM, I'll put in a hard ride Saturday (Zwift) and Tuesday (work commute + track), but will otherwise avoid squeezing my legs for extended periods, and mostly take it easy.

I've got about 6-8 weeks before I switch gears to training for my Sierra Nevada mountaineering trip in late August, and I do plan to thoroughly enjoy this nice form that I've earned.

Last edited by TMonk; 05-26-21 at 05:06 PM.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-26-21, 05:05 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Looks like just as I was feeling like I was getting fit, I'm going to have to dial back. I have a shingles outbreak. So far, it's been pretty mild: fatigue, low grade headache, and of course a pretty painful rash. The doctor didn't give me any restrictions other than avoid anyone who could be susceptible to chicken pox. I can work from home as much as I can tolerate. And he didn't give me any restriction on exercise, so I may do some mellow rides on the trainer, but I'm not doing any hard efforts for now. Blergh.
Ouch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.