Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

White vinegar for rust removal

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-24-21, 02:01 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts

This may sound stupid, but I have never used white vinegar as a rust removal soak. I have used it with aluminum foil to remove rust from chromed steel rims and other bits; but I have not tried it as a soak until today.

I am using a 5% vinegar solution from the grocery store (Food Lion). My initial target is the lower race of the headset while also getting at some surface rust around the painted head tube lugs. I know that other BF members have used vinegar for this purpose.

Any tips? Any cautions? Does it work on painted surfaces? Should I avoid aluminum parts?
Likes For dweenk:
Old 07-24-21, 04:14 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,311 Times in 775 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
This may sound stupid, but I have never used white vinegar as a rust removal soak. I have used it with aluminum foil to remove rust from chromed steel rims and other bits; but I have not tried it as a soak until today.

I am using a 5% vinegar solution from the grocery store (Food Lion). My initial target is the lower race of the headset while also getting at some surface rust around the painted head tube lugs. I know that other BF members have used vinegar for this purpose.

Any tips? Any cautions? Does it work on painted surfaces? Should I avoid aluminum parts?
Vinegar won't work anywhere near as well as oxalic acid, which you can get as deck cleaner or wood bleach in hardware stores, about $20 an almost-gallon jug. It's safe - don't drink the stuff - and won't harm the unrusted steel, or paint(usually).

And no, don't have any aluminium attached and in the bath - for either solution.
Old 07-24-21, 05:50 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
White vinegar is fine, but for my Italian bikes, I've always used a 50:50 mixture of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
And when you're done a good rubdown with Balsamico Tradizionale but only on red bikes.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 07-24-21, 06:15 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Try a product called Metal Rescue. I’m not sure what is in it but works very well without pulling off paint. There is a bath version and the gel I linked to. I haven’t used the gel but I use the bath to remove rust from old bicycle license plates.

It definitely works better than vinegar.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-24-21, 06:22 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 419 Posts
I've done some rust removal from heavily rusted tools with house hold vinegar. . I did extended multi day soaks and ended up with a clean grey surface but finely pitted/ etched by the vinegar. The etched surface was more prone to rusting than where the metal had been polish smooth on the cutting edges. So the only real advise I'd give is to follow up with a polishing. And a little Ruffino Classico after all your hard work.
Old 07-24-21, 06:51 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 137 Posts
Evaporust works amazingly well
Likes For sced:
Old 07-25-21, 03:59 AM
oneclick 

OK, here's the list of common methods and their characteristics:

Vinegar (ph ~3) - not much effect of either rust or steel, pretty much harmless to humans
Citric acid (ph ~2.5) - will remove rust slowly, wont do much to steel, similarly harmless
Oxalic acid (ph ~1.3) - will remove rust, slowly but faster than citric acid, won't do much to steel. Wash it off if it splashes on you and don't drink it.
Evapo rust (ph ~6) - will remove rust, slowly but faster than citric acid, won't do much to steel. Supposedly harmless but they don't say what's in it.
Phosphoric acid (ph ~1.5) - removes rust, faster than evaporust, won't do much to steel. Wash it off if it splashes on you and don't drink it.
Tannic acid (ph ~6) - will remove rust fast, leaves steel black on the surface which will brush off. Wash it off if it splashes on you and don't drink it.
Hydrochloric acid (ph ~1) will remove rust FAST, will remove steel FAST, will remove skin FAST. Don't even think of using this stuff.
Electrolysis - removes rust completely, leaves steel alone, safe except for low-voltage electricity and possibly whatever you use for an electrolyte; washing sode is ph ~11 and thus caustic, but you don't use much even of that in a huge volume of water.

The method I use depends more on the size of the part and the amount of rust. Small bits - nuts,screws,etcetera - go in a plastic tub with enough phosphoric axid or oxalic acid to cover them, and taken out when done (a few hours). Large things rusty all over usually electrolysis, especially if very large - did a Vespa frame a while ago and that much oxalic acid would have cost more than the moped did. Bike frames only oxalic acid because they have brazed joints and I'd have to find out what electrolysis will do to one before even trying it.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 07-25-21, 08:20 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
OK, here's the list of common methods and their characteristics:

Vinegar (ph ~3) - not much effect of either rust or steel, pretty much harmless to humans
Citric acid (ph ~2.5) - will remove rust slowly, wont do much to steel, similarly harmless
Oxalic acid (ph ~1.3) - will remove rust, slowly but faster than citric acid, won't do much to steel. Wash it off if it splashes on you and don't drink it.
Evapo rust (ph ~6) - will remove rust, slowly but faster than citric acid, won't do much to steel. Supposedly harmless but they don't say what's in it.
Phosphoric acid (ph ~1.5) - removes rust, faster than evaporust, won't do much to steel. Wash it off if it splashes on you and don't drink it.
Tannic acid (ph ~6) - will remove rust fast, leaves steel black on the surface which will brush off. Wash it off if it splashes on you and don't drink it.
Hydrochloric acid (ph ~1) will remove rust FAST, will remove steel FAST, will remove skin FAST. Don't even think of using this stuff.
Electrolysis - removes rust completely, leaves steel alone, safe except for low-voltage electricity and possibly whatever you use for an electrolyte; washing sode is ph ~11 and thus caustic, but you don't use much even of that in a huge volume of water.

The method I use depends more on the size of the part and the amount of rust. Small bits - nuts,screws,etcetera - go in a plastic tub with enough phosphoric axid or oxalic acid to cover them, and taken out when done (a few hours). Large things rusty all over usually electrolysis, especially if very large - did a Vespa frame a while ago and that much oxalic acid would have cost more than the moped did. Bike frames only oxalic acid because they have brazed joints and I'd have to find out what electrolysis will do to one before even trying it.
^^^ are all good pieces of advice. I’ve never used phosphoric acid since it seems really aggressive but I’m sheepish about these things. Electrolytic removal leaves a black oxide on the de-rusted part - FYI.

FWIW - many times the rust on chrome can be removed with brass wool or a small brass brush.

For me - vinegar has never done the work regarding rust but, as noted, it makes an excellent salad dressing.
Old 07-25-21, 12:31 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

After soaking the head tube for 24 hours, I am not impressed. It did help a bit with rust, but it also dulled the blue paint. Most of the paint dullness (is that a word?) came off with a rinse. There was no damage to the aluminum headbadge that had not already been done by east coast Atlantic air.

I'll still use it with aluminum foil for steel rims, but I have one and one half gallons left.

I hear that it kills weeds.
Old 07-25-21, 12:41 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 419 Posts
Its good for washing uncured epoxy off of tools and your hands with out driving the chemicals into your blood stream like acetone....
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 07-25-21, 01:41 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Its good for washing uncured epoxy off of tools and your hands with out driving the chemicals into your blood stream like acetone....
I did not know that...good info.
Old 07-25-21, 03:25 PM
dweenk

OK.
I have tried it as a soak and it is underwhelming. To vinegar's credit - it is cheap - but it does'nt accomplish much. I'll still use it with aluminum foil to rub off rust from chrome, but I fear that 1.5 gallons will be more than I can use before I shuffle off this mortal coil.
Old 07-25-21, 04:34 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
Interesting that most people haven't had good luck with white vinegar, I've had great success with it on small chrome pieces. Soak them for a few hours and wipe the rust off with a paper towel. For larger pieces like fenders or wheels I use 0000 steel wool with WD-40 and then clean it with a good degreaser and then polish them. I can already hear the "NO don't use steel wool, you'll scratch the chrome" choir but I have seen no evidence of scratching from the 0000 steel wool and anything old enough to require rust removal has plenty of fine scratches to begin with. I've used it on paint with heavy surface rust as well.

Here's a '55 Columbia I did the 0000 steel wool/WD-40m treatment on, left side as found, right side after a few minutes of rubbing, it would have gone faster had I removed the barn dirt and pigeon droppings first but it was about 20 Deg. F when I did it.

Old 07-25-21, 04:54 PM
Nuovo Record

Bikes: Colnago Super (panto) - Gios Professional (1st Generation C-Record) - Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra (Team USA) - Barellia Reynolds 531 - Fully chromed Columbus steel bike (Patelli?) Super Record Titanium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
What do you recommend for removing early-stage rust from a chromed steel frame? Citric acid?
Old 07-25-21, 05:30 PM
indofulioh

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Evapo-Rust has been the best product I’ve found for rust removal. Submerge the rust for at least a couple hours for best results. Repeat as needed or increase submerge time.

RJ the bike guy on YouTube has a great video on his results.

Rustoleum Rust Remover Spray also works pretty well for quick rust spots you’re not able to submerge.

With Evapo-Rust, if you’re not able to submerge the rust, you can also soak a paper towel in the solution and wrap the surface rust then cover with plastic wrap to prevent drying.

Good luck!
Likes For indofulioh:
Old 07-25-21, 06:56 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 334 Posts
Evaporust is great stuff. It won't hurt adjacent paint and it safe, but it's expensive and has a limited life span.

For general derusting I'm a fan pf phosphoric acid. If properly diluted it won't hurt paint but I wouldn't leave it dwell on painted surfaces too long. Home Depot in the US sell a product know as Kleenstrip Etch and prep (or something to this effect.) It can be recycled again and reused too since it doesn't loose effectiveness like Evaporust does.
Old 07-25-21, 07:21 PM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
Evaporust has worked well for me. For more heavily rusted spots, remove after a few hours and lightly scrub (nylon brush, sponge, or similar) and then put back in a few more hours. I found on one pitted area it left a black coating that still had rust underneath when scrubbed off. For that I used several Naval Jelly (phosphoric acid) applications until the rust was no longer noticeable. Haven’t seen any impact to bronze or silver brazing. Didn’t have any paint impact on red Imron (82 Trek) or white (72 Fuji). Chrome came out looking great. Others have mentioned but if you’re partially submerged chrome it may rust MORE right above the vapor/liquid interface for Evaporust. Simichrome and a cloth took the very light surface rust off chrome for me (what came from the soak at the interface).
Old 07-25-21, 07:40 PM
ganner

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sorry to tag onto this thread but i got to ask.

would wd40 work on the shifter rust? i bought a wd40 bike degreaser. should i use a metal brush to brush it too?

Old 07-25-21, 07:50 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Sometimes it's just best to use the intended product for the intended use. Evaporust attacks rust only, is re-usable, and is available at Harbor Freight in 2 sizes.
Cutting corners is great, but often costs you more in the long run in time, energy, frustration, and probably money. Spend the $8 and be done with it

Last edited by sdn40; 07-25-21 at 07:53 PM.
Likes For sdn40:
Old 07-26-21, 01:55 AM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by ganner
sorry to tag onto this thread but i got to ask.

would wd40 work on the shifter rust? i bought a wd40 bike degreaser. should i use a metal brush to brush it too?
WD40 no, brush yes.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 07-26-21, 06:18 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
Oxalic acid (OA) has worked great for me. 2% by volume mix and wait up to 24 hours. Very inexpensive. I have used a wall paper tray to dunk forks. Frames are dunked in a frame lined with plastic sheet and a pile of whatever between the tubes to minimize the volume of OA.

WD-40 is a rust preventative, not a rust remover. Note that everyone uses it with an abrasive of some form. There is enough lubricant to assist in the scrubbing process to remove the rust.

I tried OOOO wool on chrome and regret it. Perhaps with the lubricant, it is less damaging.

Last edited by SJX426; 07-26-21 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-27-21, 12:47 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 846 Posts
I agree with Murray Missile, both on the useful rust-dissolving action of vinegar and on the harmless effect of steel wool.

Vinegar takes several hours to overnight to dissolve rust, with perhaps some periodic light scrubbing to dissolve heavier rust faster.

Steel wool gets a bad rap only because it picks up dirt, sand and chrome flakes, which will then act as abrasives that cause scratches.

Steel wool, if it's coarse enough combined with too much pressure applied can indent the very thin chrome surface because of the softer (copper and nickel) layers underneath.
But, using finer grades of steel wool, with moderate pressure on clean surfaces, it's harmless on chromed steel and even on anodized aluminum.
Beware though of flaking chrome bits or any dirt or sand caught on a steel wool scrubbing surface, as these can produce scratches.
Using steel wool with plenty of water, and turning the pad frequently, will improve the effectiveness and safety because the surface won't tend to load up with detritus.

Buying Oxalic Acid powder and mixing just a teaspoon per quart of water produces great results in 2-4 hours and is by far the cheapest way to go.
I bought mine from an online taxidermy supply outfit and it was very cheap in bulk.

Last edited by dddd; 07-27-21 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-27-21, 10:39 PM
rob_ralph

Bikes: 92 GT Richter 8.0, 01 Schwinn Homegrown, 91 Alpinestar Cro-Mega DX, 92 GT Karakoram Tequila Sunrise, 91 GT Karakoram, 91 GT Avalanche

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Evapo-rust before and after pics. After pics is from leaving these parts submerged overnight. Rinse and wipe the next day, I wont use anything else

Likes For rob_ralph:
Old 07-28-21, 02:11 PM
Nuovo Record

Bikes: Colnago Super (panto) - Gios Professional (1st Generation C-Record) - Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra (Team USA) - Barellia Reynolds 531 - Fully chromed Columbus steel bike (Patelli?) Super Record Titanium

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
What can you do prevent the build-up of new rust after you have removed the old one?
Old 07-29-21, 10:33 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuovo Record
What can you do prevent the build-up of new rust after you have removed the old one?
Move to Arizona? 😇

If you keep stuff clean and in a garage or inside that helps a lot. An occasional wipe down with WD40 also helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.