Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Tail lights

Old 07-22-21, 02:56 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
My better half bought me a Varia for Father's Day. Other than the short battery life and my inability to hear the Garmin beep at speed, it is pretty nice. I still rely upon my mirrors but having the radar adds more confidence in certain situations on a recumbent where it is harder to see. Also, it seems motorists more alerted by it than my normal tail light although I am not sure why. I probably would not have bought it myself, so, it is a good gift. Is it worth the money. Hard to say but it is a nice to have and since it has a safety component, I kind of like it but can't figure how to make it work on a brevet
I was looking at getting one and from what I understood it's got a dayflash mode that apparently is good for 16 hours but I guess you'd have to tape over the flashing light if there is a "no blinkies" rule or you're riding with other people. I don't like riding behind flashing lights, gives me a headache after a while.
Old 07-22-21, 03:01 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by clasher
I was looking at getting one and from what I understood it's got a dayflash mode that apparently is good for 16 hours but I guess you'd have to tape over the flashing light if there is a "no blinkies" rule or you're riding with other people. I don't like riding behind flashing lights, gives me a headache after a while.
I am not 100% sure. It has a solid mode but I think when a vehicle is approaching, it blinks with increasing intensity and frequency but don't quote me on that.

Where I could see it helpful on brevets is if someone is riding thru the night on a 600K but it is not a replacement for a normal rear light.
Old 07-23-21, 07:57 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I've got a couple of Lezyne strip lights that I run in flash mode (they've got 8 or so different modes, which strikes me as overkill) for daytime riding, and a Cygolite Hypershot 350 that I run in steady mode for night riding (it also has a lot of modes). I've gotten at least 18 hours out of the Lezyne lights (and they were still going when I turned them off). I haven't run down the Cygolite, but I also haven't run it for all that long at a spell. I do have a dyno hub and a USB converter, so I can recharge one light while the others stay on.

The Cygolite is a little annoying. It has 2 buttons: one for power/mode, and another that varies the flashing speed in intermittent modes, or the brightness in steady mode. I always get the two mixed up. In steady mode, even at partial brightness, it is really freaking bright, but at max brightness, it only has an advertised life of 2 hours.

Also, fwiw, I have a Light & Motion Vya Pro for commuting. Great light, very visible, no buttons. It has a single mode that throbs slow-fast-slow, and is about the size and shape of a thumb drive; it has a USB-A plug that fits straight into its bike mount. If it is on the bike, it is on. The problem is it only gets about 6 hours runtime.

Last edited by adamrice; 07-23-21 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-23-21, 11:22 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
I like being able to switch between two bikes at the drop of a hat:

Cygolite Hotshot Pro seat post mount
two Cygolite Hotrod 90 on the seat stays
Old 08-02-21, 08:02 AM
georgnillson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also ask you to note that many riders do not pay attention to the fact that their lights are either too weak or too strong, it is worth picking up the lantern for a very long time for driving, especially for long distances