Old 08-08-21, 07:05 PM
ilovehelmets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Best route for testing FTP?

Hey all,

I recently acquired a power meter and am really looking forward to improving with it. My first goal is to find out what my FTP is by doing a 20 minute effort and taking 5% off. Do you have any suggestions around the San Mateo area that is suitable for this type of test? I would imagine an accurate estimate would require a solid 20 minutes of riding w/ minimal traffic lights and stop signs. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-21, 07:41 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,848 Times in 6,065 Posts
Canada Road has a 6 mile stretch with no stop signs or stop lights. It might be hard to maintain full power down the hill by the Water Temple, though, heading south. If you start at the bottom of that hill, go to the top of Canada after Edgewood, turn around and ride back, you could go all the way to 92 and it would be maybe 8 miles, which should be enough. Rolling, but nowhere where you'll run out of gears either way.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-09-21, 09:24 AM
ilovehelmets

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Canada Road has a 6 mile stretch with no stop signs or stop lights. It might be hard to maintain full power down the hill by the Water Temple, though, heading south. If you start at the bottom of that hill, go to the top of Canada after Edgewood, turn around and ride back, you could go all the way to 92 and it would be maybe 8 miles, which should be enough. Rolling, but nowhere where you'll run out of gears either way.
good idea about going north on canada. I was also concerned about the down hill right before pulgas. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-09-21, 09:36 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
I usually use OLH.
Old 08-09-21, 09:49 AM
ilovehelmets

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
I usually use OLH.
I'm guessing OLH = Old La Honda? I have yet to build up the courage to tackle that one. Soon™. Thanks I'll add that to my list.

Last edited by ilovehelmets; 08-09-21 at 03:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-10-21, 08:19 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovehelmets
I'm guessing OLH = Old La Honda? I have yet to build up the courage to tackle that one. Soon™. Thanks I'll add that to my list.
Yes. It's not that bad. One of the shortest ways to get up to Skyline.
Old 08-10-21, 11:37 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 117 Posts
I'm not sure what duration you need for FTP...

A nice long minimal-interruption, but not too hard, segement is from Alamenda de las Pulgas and Edgewood, up Edgewood, right on Canada, Canada over the Ralston bike bridge. Maybe that won't work because of the 2 minutes of downhill?

Alpine road is not very interrupted, from AdlP to the vehicle gate, going from gentle up-slope into actual climb.

But OLH is definitely the most-typical benchmark. It's 20 to 50 minutes of effort.

Young thin guy: "So, you rode OLH last weekend?"
Me: 'Yup. <friendrider> wanted to test himself and I was game."
YTG: "How long did it take you?"
Me: "Same day!"
Likes For tgot:
Old 08-11-21, 09:34 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,848 Times in 6,065 Posts
If you do OLH, though, take it really slow the first time, so you get a feeling for how long it is. The first time I tried, many years ago before GPS bike computers, I gave up 1/2 mile from the from the top, which I didn't know till I went up it later with friends, and realized how close I'd gotten. You'll also get a feeling for how hard you can go and still make it to the top without stopping.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: