Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

VeloBase.com - 2021 Update Thread

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

VeloBase.com - 2021 Update Thread

Old 08-08-21, 04:50 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
Maybe it's time to pass the hat and step up to one of those more expensive hosting services. (Site's more-or-less hung for me right now loading the home page. 5:50 CDT)
Old 08-09-21, 07:23 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Maybe it's time to pass the hat and step up to one of those more expensive hosting services. (Site's more-or-less hung for me right now loading the home page. 5:50 CDT)
Maybe so. In any case, I'm going to have to put in some hours to try to rebuild the List pages first to reduce memory usage. I'm on Tech Support chat for the 3rd time, and I do believe he's realized I'm losing my patience with 'Making some Changes' responses.
Old 08-09-21, 08:04 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

If you're reading this around 9am CST on Monday, I ask that you kindly head over to VeloBase.com and load a few list views, navigate around the site a little, trying to put some extra load on the site to see if this Third Attempt at fixing the memory issues will fix it, but the traffic seems a little light right now at 9 am on a Monday morning. Thanks!
Likes For cuda2k:
Old 08-09-21, 10:26 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
Working better, thanks...
Old 08-09-21, 01:01 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 996 Times in 355 Posts
File Upload was refused by Server.
While trying to upload a picture of a Team Jersey
Old 08-09-21, 01:15 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
head over to VeloBase.com...
It was working a couple hours ago, but it's down again.

edit: and now it's back up.

Last edited by SurferRosa; 08-09-21 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-09-21, 01:50 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
edit: and now it's back up.
Upload team jersey still does not succeed.
Old 08-09-21, 04:44 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

This instability is just crazy, I can't quite get a sense of what's causing it either with my current error handling. It's something on the server. I'll test image uploads and see if I can figure that out.
Old 08-09-21, 05:06 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Jon, have you looked into Amazon Web Hosting (AWS)? Not sure if they're in your price range.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-09-21, 05:40 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by noglider
Jon, have you looked into Amazon Web Hosting (AWS)? Not sure if they're in your price range.
I'll have to look again, but as I recall for the most part AWS gives you a bare box, and getting SQL Server and such up and running on it can be $$$$. One way or another, its going to take some development time on my part to get the software in a shape to either stay on GoDaddy, or migrate somewhere else it seems. I'm on hold with GoDaddy phone support right now, seeing if I can get someone with some actual answers on a call vs chat. Basically the site runs on two different databases, the bulk of the actual cycling information is on a Microsoft SQL Server database, which GoDaddy limits to 200MB (we're currently at 113MB of that). All the bulky tables, logging, the old forum that I had to remove, search data, etc, is all stored in a MySQL server
Old 08-09-21, 06:10 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Component Photo Uploads should be fixed now, I'm going to have to look at why the Frame/Bicycle upload URL isn't working tomorrow evening. Then maybe I can start looking at memory usage and the search cache like I'd started to like 3 weeks ago before vacation, a mess of a back yard renovation and all this current out of memory exception stuff started in the last two days.

Late evening update, sure doesn't look like my purging of 'suspect' files, and even disabling PHP entirely has helped the memory issues, so I guess I'll be back on the line with support tomorrow.

Last edited by cuda2k; 08-09-21 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-12-21, 11:43 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Things look pretty normal on my recent visits, but I haven't tried to upload or edit anything.

Today I got "A potentially dangerous Request" error message trying to search for a component, using the search bar at the top of an otherwise normal page for a component.

I'll paste part of it here, but not the entire page in case there's a serious security issue.
Form value was detected from the client (ctl00$ContentPlaceHolder1$hf_14a4f339x551cx4663x8090xfa3d07043961x8ee0e950xd02ax453bxb886x16bd4a6b7 590="... shifters.<br/><br/><b>General...").Description: ASP.NET has detected data in the request that is potentially dangerous because it might include HTML markup or script. The data might represent an attempt to compromise the security of your application, such as a cross-site scripting attack. If this type of input is appropriate in your application, you can include code in a web page to explicitly allow it. For more information, see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=212874.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-12-21, 02:38 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Also, the site is not secure. Web browsers that require SSL will not load the site and probably show an error/warning.
Old 08-14-21, 08:47 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by droppedandlost
Also, the site is not secure. Web browsers that require SSL will not load the site and probably show an error/warning.
Yeah, the SSL cert broke a while back when the web host 'upgraded' my account. Been on my list of things to get fixed for too long.

-----------------------------

So this morning I opened a brand new hosting service with the current host, thinking that it was something on the old server, haven't moved a single file over aside from the software itself (which is why the current message states that photos are offline, don't worry, I've got multiple backups of everything). And the errors are still occurring. So I've ruled out malicious files that the hosting company claimed was causing it (never believed it to begin with myself). Memory usage is high, and I am still working on refactoring the code for the List / Search functionality, hoping to have that done this weekend at least to a point where it's possible to deploy and not break something. Suspect this little research project into what's going on is going to eat up a good portion of my weekend, at least it's 100 degrees out and not a good time to try to go ride or do photography....
Likes For cuda2k:
Old 08-14-21, 09:46 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by canklecat
Things look pretty normal on my recent visits, but I haven't tried to upload or edit anything.

Today I got "A potentially dangerous Request" error message trying to search for a component, using the search bar at the top of an otherwise normal page for a component.

I'll paste part of it here, but not the entire page in case there's a serious security issue.
ASP.NET gets picky about some special characters in submits sometimes, it thinks you're putting tags or something into it. I've seen/logged these errors and are on my list to look at once the site is stable.
Old 08-14-21, 11:29 AM
fabiofarelli

Again a problem with uploading pictures. A few days ago the problem was solved but this one did not succeed.
Old 08-14-21, 07:37 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by fabiofarelli

Again a problem with uploading pictures. A few days ago the problem was solved but this one did not succeed.
Photo directories are offline as the message on the website should still mention. It'll be fixed later this evening or tomorrow morning some time. I've been trying to figure out what's going on with the site instability with the web host and had to start an entire new hosting service and it takes a while for things to get moved over. I **think** the OutOfMemory issues are at least been stopped, so I have some hope things will finally return to normal soon **knock on wood**
Old 08-15-21, 01:07 AM
fabiofarelli

Sorry, I overlooked this.
Old 08-15-21, 06:51 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
Sorry, I overlooked this.
No worries, I actually think the message disappeared sooner than I had scheduled it to. I'm uploading the image directories to the new server right now. Should be up and running within the hour. Then I have to work on moving the databases, then figure out why the list isn't paging correctly after the changes I made yesterday (and appeared to be working fine)
Likes For cuda2k:
Old 08-16-21, 10:13 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
To All,
I hope all of those that are using the site and having issues with it are also supporting it with a donation.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 08-17-21, 09:31 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Motobecane(2), Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 308 Posts
I tried today to update a component and the site would not accept it.

Server Error in '/' Application.

A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_DetailedInfoBox="...ck. <br>").

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 08-20-21, 05:30 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by CV-6
I tried today to update a component and the site would not accept it.

Server Error in '/' Application.

A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_DetailedInfoBox="...ck. <br>").

This is asp.net framework (the core foundation software that the site is built on) being a 'nervous nancy' and not allowing html tags through, something it's become more strict about in later versions of the framework. It's on my todo list to fix with a future update.
Old 09-01-21, 12:41 AM
q.photo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Amazing, thank you for taking the time and working on VeloBase! Experienced some performance issues over the last week while searching for parts from Europe - it seems way more stable today than back then!
Old 09-04-21, 02:55 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Finally got SSL updated today, I also found some broken/missing page content images that I missed when setting up the new server. Going to be taking the add/edit functionality offline again at some point over the long weekend to actually get the database moved over to the new server so I don't have to pay double hosting fees any longer than necessary. Had put that off for a few weeks to ensure that the changes I made had stabilized the server performance. Looks like this new account is going to work out well enough for a while so time to get the second half of the job done.
Old 09-04-21, 03:02 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Also want to say thank you to those who have donated over the last few months to the site. I need to go back to my paypal account and make sure I replied to and thanked everyone individually as I don't think the notifications are going to my main email address right now. Also want to say thank you for all those long-time members of the site who have been logged in and active over the last couple weeks. I was just looking at the user list and I was seeing members with join dates well over a decade ago. Sometimes it's amazing it's been that long since I kicked off the project, then I realize how long it's been since I was really riding much and how much I do miss it. I have had my gravel / touring bike out the last couple weekends (not quite C&V, but it steel and Campagnolo equipped!) and plan to get a ride in tomorrow morning.
Likes For cuda2k:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.