Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Random Assorted Cycling Tips

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Random Assorted Cycling Tips

Old 09-19-21, 08:31 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Nothing in this kit is going to help with this.​​​
The electrolyte powder? Sure it does. I carry DripDrop. It's made to the World Health Organization standard for Oral Rehydration Solutions. There are others, and we can mix our own -- the ingredients are common to many sports drinks, nothing secret or sketchy -- but DripDrop is convenient, palatable and inoffensive tasting (too many electrolyte mixes and sports drinks have unpleasant flavors or are too sweet), readily available and the single serving Mylar packet resists moisture and takes up very little room.

My background is in health care, including emergency medical care and field med in the military. I've seen this stuff before. Heat exhaustion and dehydration can often be remedied with an ORS drink. If the person can drink and hold it down, it'll help.

I've used it twice in summer with cyclists who were suffering heat exhaustion and dehydration exacerbated by poor choices in hydration. In the worst case the cyclist had taken salt tablets (a badly outdated practice that should have been stopped decades ago), then later couldn't hold down plain water. She passed out, fell off her bike (fortunately someone standing nearby caught her and eased her down) and was vomiting plain water. Most people can't absorb water properly with salt tablets, for the same reason we can't drink sea water. When we're dehydrated we need a little sugar to aid with osmolarity so we can absorb and digest water quickly. That's why sugar free electrolyte mixes are a terrible idea for serious use. It just results in bloating with many folks.

Same reason most old folk remedies and recipes for thirst quenchers turned out to be approximations of an oral rehydration solution, ranging from posca through switchel and others, usually containing just a little sugar of some kind because through trial and error people realized they felt better more quickly without bloating when a little honey, fermented fruit, etc., was included.

There are ORS studies published on PubMed, the NCBI/NIH site, but the DripDrop website accurately summarizes the same info.

I do buy a lot of cheaper sugar free electrolyte mixes when they're on sale, but always add a bit of sugar to avoid bloating. Lately I've added a bit of tart cherry concentrate, just because I like the flavor and it adds just enough sugar aid digestion without being too sweet. I do a lot of midday summer walking, jogging and cycling, often in temperatures above 100F, and it works for me. But heat adaptation is a whole nuther challenge in addition to appropriate hydration.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-19-21, 08:50 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Stop at red lights, and go through green lights as if they are red.
Don’t trust drivers to obey traffic rules or acknowledge your right of way.
Stay alive, even if it means giving way or even breaking traffic rules.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 09-19-21, 09:35 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
The electrolyte powder? Sure it does. I carry DripDrop. It's made to the World Health Organization standard for Oral Rehydration Solutions.
(Without water, it's useless.)

The WHO stuff appears to mostly focus on dehydration related to diarrhea (like that due to gastroenteritis).

Are there any studies related to showing a real difference versus using just water related to the kinds of cases you are seeing?

This shows no difference between ORS and sports drink (not sure why they didn't look at just-water too).

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wemjournal.org%2Farticle%2FS1080-6032(18)30005-X%2Fpdf&clen=419718

This shows a benefit of ORS over water for cramps (in young men).

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/arti...70-021-00414-8
Old 09-19-21, 02:51 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
Another good ORS choice is Liquid IV. I carry what I expect to use, plus an extra tube to share if needed.

Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-19-21, 03:15 PM
donm1967

Bikes: 2009 Quick 4; 2021 Giant Defy Adv 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
For mouth breathers: close your mouth when riding through a cloud of gnats.
I took a bumble bee to the back of the mouth a few weeks ago. Used long tweezers to get the stinger out.
Old 09-19-21, 03:34 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by TX_master
Unclip early.
...and for the newbies of clipless, don't forget that you're clipped in.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 09-19-21, 03:49 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 671 Posts
Disregard anyone who posts in BF with absolute certainty especially when they refer to 20 year + old technology and beliefs. Quick tell is when they begin to refer to their 3x7 drivetrain and legacy steel frame, rim brake bike as peak bicycle development.
Old 09-19-21, 03:56 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
In my 15 years of cycling and riding many 100 mile centuries in very hot humid weather I've never carried electrolyte powders.. I prefer real food, I just stop and eat real food.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-19-21, 04:02 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Disregard anyone who posts in BF with absolute certainty especially when they refer to 20 year + old technology and beliefs. Quick tell is when they begin to refer to their 3x7 drivetrain and legacy steel frame, rim brake bike as peak bicycle development.
Hey I ride fixed gear and singlespeed ....That's a 100 year old technology and it works great, I also don't use energy gels, I prefer real food.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-19-21, 04:59 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
OK, I'll add another one for us roadies...
To really reduce frequency of flats.
Wipe your tires often (while riding), especially when you've just gone thru a section of road crap, grit or intersections with small, even shallow rain/water channels.
The channels collect all sorts of sharp crappage, micro steel belt bits, screws, false teeth... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 09-19-21, 05:06 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
In my 15 years of cycling and riding many 100 mile centuries in very hot humid weather I've never carried electrolyte powders..
This does not surprise me....
Old 09-19-21, 05:09 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
In my 15 years of cycling and riding many 100 mile centuries in very hot humid weather I've never carried electrolyte powders.. I prefer real food, I just stop and eat real food.
Fig bars are a great choice.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-19-21, 06:28 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Help out a fellow cyclist when the opportunity presents itself. Clear safety glasses are handy when its buggy and u don't really need shades. Clean your bike often and don't let your chain squeaky.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 09-19-21, 06:52 PM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
or don't slow down
Old 09-19-21, 06:59 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
have a rain or wet bike with full fenders. If it rains for several days, you can still get out
Best accessory i've purchased.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-19-21, 08:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
Shower after your ride - if not for you, for your loved ones, especially if they are a dog.

And, a helmet is cheaper than a neurosurgeon.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-19-21, 09:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, some folks can do that. A riding buddy carries only plain water and might drink half on our usual 26 mile weekday rides in summer, and might finish the bottle on a 50 mile summer ride. (Funny thing... in every Facebook announcement of the ride schedules he always recommends participants bring water with electrolytes, even though he doesn't do so himself.)

Meanwhile I'll finish both bottles and be looking for more during a 26 mile ride. Between the club ride and my bike commute to and from those rides, I'll ride 40-45 miles altogether and usually drink four full bottles by the time I get home. I use electrolytes only in the first bottle. That's been enough for me. After that plain cool water is fine.

I've tried hydration techniques recommended by other folks. When I was an amateur boxer most coaches insisted we didn't drink during training, and just rinse and spit. One didn't even like rinsing water -- he wanted us to just dab cold water from the fountain on our wrists. That misguided practice may have cost Jack Johnson in his loss to the younger Jess Willard. Johnson was outboxing Willard early, but faded in the intense heat and visibly slowed until he was caught with a legit punch (despite Johnson's later claims that he took a dive, in good quality films it's obvious he was knocked out by a punch). Same with Ray Robinson's attempt to win the light heavyweight title from Joey Maxim. Robinson faded in the heat. Proper hydration might have changed the outcomes of both fights.

The problem with drinking plain water is it isn't absorbed rapidly enough during the one-minute breaks between rounds. Bloating from water sitting in the stomach makes fighters vulnerable to body punches. But all you need to do is add something to hasten absorption. In the old days some trainers and cornermen brewed up stuff like switchel, weak tea with lemon and a little honey or sugar. They didn't know the science about osmolarity, they just knew it helped avoid bloating. Nowadays most good electrolyte mixes accomplish the same thing more efficiently.

Same with high school football coaches. They'd push that nonsense during summer two-a-days until too many kids died from dehydration and heat stroke. Some of them still do, despite laws and lawsuits over those stupid hydration deprivation techniques. Same with a crusty old Navy Chief Hospital Corpsman when I was assigned to the Marines as a Corpsman. He'd fuss at the younger guys for even sipping water during our 10 mile marches with full packs. And he'd recommend taking salt tablets. The guy was an idiot. We ignored him.

As a young amateur boxer and in occasional cycle races in the 1970s I'd get stomach cramps every time I tried to cut back on my water consumption, or failed to drink at least a little Gatorade. I hated the taste of Gatorade but it did help prevent stomach cramps. Same in 2015-'16 when I resumed cycling after a long hiatus. I'd get stomach cramps on moderately hard rides every spring until I started adding electrolytes to one bottle. No problems since then.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-20-21, 08:14 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
In winter when riding in sub-freezing temperatures don't over-dress. You will warm up after 7-12 minutes...dress for that. Over-dressing causes sweat which will then freeze and make you really cold. (And cover exposed flesh).
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 09-20-21, 09:59 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Shower after your ride - if not for you, for your loved ones, especially if they are a dog.

I can say from experience .....Neurosurgeon's are very very expensive ...... worth every penny tho
Old 09-20-21, 10:29 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob

But I only have a $25 co-pay!
Likes For kahn:
Old 09-20-21, 10:52 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
If you ride roads, ALWAYS wear a mirror. See cars before they see you, and track them as they pass. If anything, I feel much safer by knowing where they are behind and if I need to move over to the right a bit more.
Old 09-20-21, 11:06 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,622 Times in 942 Posts
On the clouds of gnats.. You don't have to close your mouth. Just your teeth. You might catch a few in the grill..
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 09-20-21, 11:44 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
On the clouds of gnats.. You don't have to close your mouth. Just your teeth. You might catch a few in the grill..
And then chew carefully! Who needs electrolytes!
Likes For kahn:
Old 09-20-21, 11:45 AM
charlie_boy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
And then chew carefully! Who needs electrolytes!

Oh my.
Likes For charlie_boy:
Old 09-27-21, 11:32 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
So, maybe add one more idea which works for me (and a few others...)
if you're gonna ride one-handed for any measurable time - road or hardpack
eat a banana, nutrition bar, gel, or some serious nose excavation, whatever...
move the hand on the bar as close to the stem as possible.
most stable steering, least chance of you dumping yourself to the pavement.
bike will do a better job, without your one-handed help...
try it, You'll like it.
ride on
yuri