Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 05-08-19, 01:23 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Two weeks in a row I've had be Tuesday Night rides, both from dehydration. Last week, it was cold and I didn't drink enough during the day. This week it was cold and I drank plenty, but sweated profusely because I had too many layers on. Watts down 20-40 watts on both. The first week I'm pretty optimistic about it, this week I'm upset at myself for doing so bad.

In general I try to be positive, but everyone has a breaking point. I was setting up for a late May through June peak but I'm not too confident about that now.
Old 05-08-19, 06:55 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Yesterday was 8x2' VO2 max, the first time I did them in quite a while. With an FTP of 250, I got through them okay - power was pretty steady, all between 303-308 watts, so just over 120%. I probably had a couple more in me. More tomorrow; it's on the schedule as 6x3', but since the first line in my ride report was "DANG, COACH, IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?", it's now up to 7x3'.

Today's ride was 1:30 at endurance pace. It was going to be 2:00 but I had to wait a half hour for the lightning to stop. Tomorrow's workout may not happen for the same reason. I've also got about six hours at endurance pace between now and Sunday. A cold front is going to hit us tomorrow and stop, remaining in position until Saturday night. Rainfall is predicted to be 5-10" or more. If it's only rain, I'll just get wet. If those bright flashy things appear...I'll catch up on my sleep.

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-09-19, 06:46 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Tuesday night we got stormed out of our ride.. hard. Made it 50 minutes in and the storm hit us like a hurricane. Bailed out to a teammates house and got a ride home. Went to the gym afterwards, but was too tired to do anything meaningful.
Tabats yesterday (short on time).
Today was a mtb ride. Ripped up my tubeless tire casing on a rock on the way back of my out and back. Threw a tube in.. Still managed a ton of PR's, but the dirt is good right now and the wind was a blowing.
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 05-09-19, 07:35 PM
revchuck 
OMC

The rain's arrival got pushed back this morning, so I was on the road at 6 and done at 7:40. I got through the 7x3' VO2 max intervals with no problems, lots of effort though. I backed off a smidge on the power; AP for the intervals ran 293-298 watts (117-119%), with the last being the strongest. If I'd had to, I could've done another one, but as it was I just kinda shuffled home after the last one.

The rain hit sporadically today but begins in earnest tonight. School has been called off tomorrow due to the probability of impassable roads. Looks like the next two days of riding won't happen, nor will my 600-650 TSS goal. I might hit the treadmill at the gym...or just put on another pot of coffee. Or stay in bed.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 05-09-19, 08:26 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
4x6 w 2' RBI again after squats and Romanian deadlifts and barbell hack squats and Nordic curls. Power was almost the same as Tuesday but it wasn't quite as horrible.
Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 05-09-19, 09:24 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I watched the Warriors Rockets game, which was a mistake. I was fired up and couldn't fall asleep til midnight and today I paid the price with a poor effort due to lack of sleep.

I should have quit but I already paid for it and had to burn 900 calories to hit my numbers.
Old 05-09-19, 11:50 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
4x8' at vo2max on the trainer this evening. Felt better than I thought I would! I haven't done these in a while and was worried I'd feel blocked up. I've been struggling with efforts above threshold lately. Started off conservatively but then came within 7w of my best on the last one. First three I aimed for roughly 105%, last one was 111% (though I haven't really had a good ftp estimate since team camp).
Old 05-10-19, 07:23 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Off Weds. Yesterday did a 10mi TT sim and later in the day planned to do a few hours of gravel bike riding.

The TT practice went OK. I'm staying in position better, but I need to do one of these once a week every week.

My pacing is usually OK to pretty good, yesterday it was ****. I guess recent road position workouts had me feeling I could do more and I overcooked the **** out of the first 5min.

My road 20min best ever is 300w. What was I doing in TT position during those first few minutes......300w or so. Idiot.

At least my CdA has come down with both having a TT bike and honing the position. Using the Chung method stuff, I have the old CdA on the road bike and clip ons at from .27 to about .29.

The TT bike? I have it pretty reliably at about .215 to .220. Now, to get rid of the crap tires.

I'm still way way way off on power on that bike though. It's embarrassing. I can't even hold 250w for a 10 miler on that bike still.

The gravel ride............popped a tire and nearly ruined a front wheel. I left with the roadie group but nobody had their gravel bike that night so I broke off to the MUP to go to the gravel routes. They had taken out a huge chunk of the trail and marked a detour that didn't go anywhere. I blast through the bumpy/undulating gravel and come up to a 1 foot tall pavement ledge. Not bunny hopping that at 20mph. I grab a bunch of brake waiting for an OTB scenario but somehow get it slowed enough to just pop the tube and put a small dent in the rim.

Got it home and was able to repair the rim. It's still true, it's got a zillion spokes in it.

So.........overall a 10/10 on effort for the day and about a 2/10 on execution.

Lol.
Old 05-10-19, 08:59 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
Gym workout last night.
Old 05-10-19, 04:44 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

2 ish hours just riding around. Never hard, just pedalling and enjoying the nice weather.
Old 05-10-19, 04:48 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Standing and seated jumps.
Old 05-10-19, 07:27 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Heavy thunderstorms were predicted for the entire day, so I planned to go hit the treadmill at the gym. I slept in - 6:00! - got up, made coffee and after a while looked outside. Cloudy and misty but no thunderstorm...checked the radar and it was light green. I kitted up and headed out into a light rain (which stopped in 15 minutes) and got in almost an hour's ride before work. I pushed a bit and ended up with an IF of .83. The only excitement was having to ford about 100m of low-lying road that was under water, it got to bottom bracket depth but was otherwise no problem. I don't think my luck will hold for tomorrow, it'll probably be treadmill time.

I got a copy of the new edition of Training and Racing with a Power Meter earlier this week and have been perusing it. There's a table in it that characterizes cycling fitness by w/kg. They thought of doing one for Masters and Juniors, but for Masters, there are apparently lots of guys in their late 50s/early 60s holding 5 w/kg at threshold and the authors thought it wouldn't be useful. I think I met a few of them a couple of weeks ago in Georgia. Getting there myself oughta be easy, just lose 15 lbs and gain 100 watts at threshold. Gimme a couple of weeks...

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-11-19, 03:28 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
That feeling when Euro Pros come out to the local Saturday ride:

It also happened to be my son's debut on the "A" ride. He's right in front of me in the RSR bibs. We hung in the back and I was worried that he'd have trouble dealing with the surges with his junior gears, but actually having Jumbo Visma out there kept things pretty smooth. For the most part they just went to the front and motored. Lucas was spinning like a madman, but he held on the entire way. In fact, I don't think he ever was in difficulty. He got some nice attaboys from quite a few riders on the neutral ride back into town.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-11-19, 03:42 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by revchuck
I got a copy of the new edition of Training and Racing with a Power Meter earlier this week and have been perusing it. There's a table in it that characterizes cycling fitness by w/kg. They thought of doing one for Masters and Juniors, but for Masters, there are apparently lots of guys in their late 50s/early 60s holding 5 w/kg at threshold and the authors thought it wouldn't be useful. I think I met a few of them a couple of weeks ago in Georgia. Getting there myself oughta be easy, just lose 15 lbs and gain 100 watts at threshold. Gimme a couple of weeks...
Good book that I need to get my hands on. All I've got is the old Carmichael book, and I didn't realize who THAT was until I got into riding bikes more than on the local brew cruise. Whatever, I learned something.

Either way, I feel like the whole propagation of structured training to the masses and Zwift has made roadie racing stuff even less accessible for the true novice level stuff. It might sound like sore bruised apples or whatever, but that old Coggan ftp chart is a bunch of ****. Yes, performance is the best indicator (like races and race like rides). But, there's not a place on God's green Earth that a Cat 4/5 can race at the numbers often tossed around. I ride with guys like that on the local group rides, and they got shot out the back the first lap.

I'm seeing the front of our 4/5's these days laying out some pretty silly #'s for what should be the lowest level of road racing.

Back to the workouts............I ate too much lunch and had too much coffee. This gave the combination of a wild ability to drive some VO2 and threshold power in a fast neighborhood roll, but also the distinct feeling after 30 minutes that I wanted to hurl in the cul d' sac.

I took back my little neighborhood crit/road race loop crown though. Hopefully 20 seconds and 24mph up 75ft/mi will hold for a little while at least until I tickle up the power some more. I wanted more laps, but too many brain dead parents and kids roaming today. Roaming the streets like they're randomly walking through a vacant wheat field or something almost getting hit by passing cars. Must all be on Xanax trips. So packed it up before the rainstorms hit.

Tossed in one sprint to the mailbox too just to make sure that's still in the 4-digit range. It is. Good enough for not ever needing to use it. Womp womp womp. No good for finishing mid pack chasing for nothing.

This week was low TSS overall but pretty high intensity on the workouts. VO2, 100%'ers, a 10mi TT, then the 1/2 hour today. I probably don't want to know how long my HR was over 170 this week.
Old 05-11-19, 08:29 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
4 hours z2 today with a few sprints. Good news is I hit my best 5s for 2019. Bad news is its still a little lower than previous years.

Also I'm loving the little cardio boost from BWR! Never felt so fresh at the end of 4 hours before. Felt like I could easily have gone for a couple more. Tomorrow is big gear up Palomar (1h10m-1h15m ish climb for me) plus riding to and from. Feeling good again finally!
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 05-11-19, 08:39 PM
revchuck 
OMC

The weatherman screwed up in the right direction again. It was supposed to rain last night and most of today, but it stopped about midnight and didn't start again until about lunch so I got in two hours at endurance pace. I'll do that again tomorrow and meet my weekly TSS goal. Right now we're just trying to maintain my CTL where it is while adding the VO2 max stuff. CTL and ATL are both 91.

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-12-19, 09:00 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Yesterday, I felt like a surfer driving from beach to beach looking for great waves. We packed up the bikes to drive to the south gate of Camp Pendleton with the goal of doing a 2 hour flat, higher speed with minimum stops endurance ride. As we are getting ready and packed, the sky darkens. Upon leaving the house, it starts to rain. CP is north of us so as we drive my wife is on doppler radar trying to figure out when the rain will stop and if we should revise our schedule and or starting point for the ride. Maybe we should workout at the gym first and then cycle.

We decided to believe the weathermen and trust that it would stop raining in Oceanside at 10:15. We arrive at CP and the sun comes out and the roads begin to dry up. We found the perfect waves.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-12-19, 04:53 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Yesterday a local ex-pro hosted what was supposed to be a race-sim ride since there was no local race. Only 4 people showed up so it just turned into a hard tempo ride. Good times were had by all and we did a "reverse paceline" drill for a bit. Rider in the back has to sprint to or past the front every 90 seconds, person second in line is responsible for closing the gap. Makes the time pass fast and really fun simulated riding. Highly recommend.

Home, lunch, dinner and packed up my backpack. Went and spent the night in the mountains to break in a new tent. Hiked out this morning and have been tired all day. Did get a ~6 mile run in this afternoon though. Weather here is awesome.
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 05-13-19, 01:03 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Biggest ride in...(checking Strava) a year and 6 days. 92 miles with 8000 feet yesterday. Still don't have FTP up so a tad slow, but felt good so I threw in a few hills before the big hill, and then blew up on the big hill and rode home mostly in zone 1. It's kinda strange how 90 miles is a big deal when you aren't riding much lol.
Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 05-14-19, 05:19 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Have finally come into a little form. Have ended up otf of the last 4 group rides I've done, including today at Alviso which is my new Tuesday go-to. 30 min solo at 26.3mph in the wind. Felt fast.
Old 05-14-19, 05:51 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Yesterday was planned to be off the bike, but the weather was so awesome that I had to ride, did just under an hour at recovery pace.

Today was supposed to be 7x3' at VO2 max. It turned out to be 6-1/2x3' because I flatted halfway through the first interval. The first five were okay, the sixth was hard, and the last I barely made it. I did make it out of the "shufflin' home" mode before I got home, though. CTL is 90, ATL is 87. It shouldn't have felt that hard.

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-14-19, 07:03 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Fiesta Island today for an endurance ride. It was a beautiful day but more windy than usual. There were a few whitecaps on the bay. Today, the time on the bike equaled the time on the piano.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-14-19, 08:19 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Ride to work, 45 minutes in the dark. 'Work' all day and dream about bikes. Get off work, ride an hourish to the group ride. Get the **** kicked out of me, somehow make the last move and get dead fing last in the sprint. Ride home. Overall I had ~3 hours 45min of riding on a Tuesday with work.

Nothing to complain about here. Besides how hungry I am all the time as I cut weight.
Old 05-14-19, 10:08 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
mostly easy week this week,

commuting today
Fiesta tomorrow - road bike warmup then TT bike shakedown
F/S/Su: MTB camping weekend with friends at Mount Laguna. This is our 5th year, first trip this year. It will be cold up there, but dry. Should get 4-6 hrs in on Saturday between two rides, with a big climb on one of them. They will shuttle.
Old 05-15-19, 06:57 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Pre-rode before the Tue group ride, some Z2 and tempo. Nothing taxing.

Group ride after felt easy, I think we set an overall speed PR for the group ride. Couple good efforts. Kind of hard to hit 20 mph overall in the city with all the stops, starts, waiting on regroups after hills, getting stuck behind cars. It's not a race sim group, but it's nice to sometimes get in a few well prepared intervals instead of just hanging on by your teeth with a group of much faster folks.

I must be making some gains slowly again. I'm not fatigued at all and a few times saw that I was getting more comfortable at some power outputs that were quite a bit less comfortable in the prior months.

Time to stay focused and get in the workouts that will consolidate and maximize gains. I really really want another 20w by year's end. Given my time input, the changes are slower than some folks now, but I'm starting to see how the puzzle pieces fit together.
Likes For burnthesheep:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.