Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-20, 12:42 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
That’s quite a novel approach to a collapsible bike fender. My only reservation would be the requirement of rear seat stays/bridge which the Musguard requires and which the Helix lacks. There are fenders that attach to the seat post but don't know if this would be a viable solution as they would also have to be removed.
Old 02-05-20, 02:06 PM
Batstar

Similar in design to the Plume is the Chameleon. Only caveat is that it has to be removed but the mount could be left in place. It also rolls up easily. Jury is still out on whether either of these products will adequately provide sufficient coverage.

Chameleon fender |

Edit: Another glance at the website indicates that the Chameleon can remain on the mount and rolled up.

Last edited by Batstar; 02-05-20 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-05-20, 02:30 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by RatonLaveur
To the number of people complaining about the inability to fit mud guards, I'm rather surprised that such solutions aren't more talked about https://musguard.com/
it seems to me that a foldable mudguard is the ideal attachment, if not the ideal look or protection...
What do you think.
Neat product but maybe not for a commuter. Spending the 10-20 seconds deploying and putting away is added time that would annoy me every time I folded or unfolded the bike. Not to mention handling a wet and grimy fender each time I folded it and figuring out where to put it.
Old 02-16-20, 07:14 PM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
The latest update is out.
It says that we'll have an update in a few days.
- Production numbers
- Lighter weight parts group
Old 02-17-20, 08:36 AM
RatonLaveur

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At this stage it's starting to look a bit ridiculous that they still insist on closed updates. Production has started, public offerings have started, it is doing them a disservice at this point not to open everything.
Old 02-17-20, 08:33 PM
Bym

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
​​​​​​​I want lightweight parts.

Originally Posted by Revoltingest
- Production numbers
I want lightweight parts.

Stem integral carbon handlebar and full titanium bolt

In addition, upgrading to carbon cranks and carbon saddles reduces weight by more than 1 kg.

Upgrading lighter parts will raise the price
Old 02-18-20, 05:09 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Bym
IIn addition, upgrading to carbon cranks and carbon saddles reduces weight by more than 1 kg.
Saving 1kg by replacing the crank and saddle seems to me impossible.

The lightest carbon crank like the THM Clavicula SE will maybe save 200g.

The lightest saddle like AX Lightness weight at least 65g and will maybe save 200g too.

These two components cost about.. the kickstarter price of Helix !
Old 02-19-20, 08:16 AM
timcarouge

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bym
I want lightweight parts.

Stem integral carbon handlebar and full titanium bolt

In addition, upgrading to carbon cranks and carbon saddles reduces weight by more than 1 kg.

Upgrading lighter parts will raise the price
The weight gains could come from something as simple as tires, rims & butted spokes, which doesn't have to add much to the price
Old 02-19-20, 01:49 PM
Jipe

Originally Posted by timcarouge
The weight gains could come from something as simple as tires, rims & butted spokes, which doesn't have to add much to the price
Spokes won't save a lot.

For the rims and tires, ETRTO 507 is a BMX size, there aren't many lightweight rims and narrow tires in ETRTO 507 !
Old 02-20-20, 07:26 AM
timcarouge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
Spokes won't save a lot.

For the rims and tires, ETRTO 507 is a BMX size, there aren't many lightweight rims and narrow tires in ETRTO 507 !
60g per wheel saved with double butted spokes and because they are stronger, the number could be reduced (unlikely as the front hub is custom)
If you order a 1000 or so tires and rims, manufacturers will build the model you want, rather than being limited to "stock" models. And seeing as 507 is a rare size, Helixs production numbers may be sufficient for their own spec now.
All totaled, a pound (450g) can be shed on the rotating weight alone. And we all know how important that weight is.
Old 02-20-20, 08:20 AM
Jipe

60g per wheel saved with double butted spokes and because they are stronger, the number could be reduced (unlikely as the front hub is custom)
If you order a 1000 or so tires and rims, manufacturers will build the model you want, rather than being limited to "stock" models. And seeing as 507 is a rare size, Helixs production numbers may be sufficient for their own spec now.
All totaled, a pound (450g) can be shed on the rotating weight alone. And we all know how important that weight is.
For tires manufacturers, 1000 pieces is a ridiculously low amount that doesn't cover the cost of developing a new tire, even a new size of an existing tire.

And anyway, the tire used isn't very heavy, a tire that would save a lot of weight would be a lightweight road tire usable only on good, clean road.

Same for the wheels if the number of spokes is significantly reduced.

Helix is an allround folder, not a competition/sport road bike, it need strong enough tires and wheels.

Last edited by Jipe; 02-20-20 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-20-20, 09:13 AM
timcarouge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For tires manufacturers, 1000 pieces is a ridiculously low amount that doesn't cover the cost of developing a new tire, even a new size of an existing tire.

And anyway, the tire used isn't very heavy, a tire that would save a lot of weight would be a lightweight road tire usable only on good, clean road.
No development needed, you can order an existing model, in the size you want. Rather than having to take the off-the-shelf model.

The Kenda tires are mid-range, low thread-count, with a puncture belt that really slows you down. It probably gobbles up 40 watts to make it roll. There are plenty of touring tires that use up well under 20 watts, and are at least 25% lighter and just as tough. Better materials and technology, just like the frame.
Old 02-20-20, 10:01 AM
Jipe

No development needed, you can order an existing model, in the size you want. Rather than having to take the off-the-shelf model..
Even a new size of an existing model needs to make tooling, then test and validation before being commercialized. This cost money and 1000 tires produces a ridiculous revenue (let say 30USD per piece, that's 30K end user price, much less for the manufacturer).
Old 02-20-20, 11:33 AM
timcarouge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even a new size of an existing model needs to make tooling, then test and validation before being commercialized. This cost money and 1000 tires produces a ridiculous revenue (let say 30USD per piece, that's 30K end user price, much less for the manufacturer).
It seems you are arguing for arguments sake. I have nothing to add beyond the facts presented before (based on experience as a bike distributor). Let's wait and see what Helix announces. By the way, I helped Peter with the early spec of the bike.
Old 02-20-20, 11:47 AM
wilhelmine

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
company need to develop products to be competitive, if there is a little gain why not make a tire, I do not think that tools will change even
Old 02-20-20, 03:12 PM
Jipe

It seems you are arguing for arguments sake. I have nothing to add beyond the facts presented before (based on experience as a bike distributor). Let's wait and see what Helix announces. By the way, I helped Peter with the early spec of the bike.
Then its a pity that you didn't tell Peter to design the frame to accepts wider tires as most ETRTO 507 tires are wider than what the Helix frame accept !

Originally Posted by wilhelmine
company need to develop products to be competitive, if there is a little gain why not make a tire, I do not think that tools will change even
Companies want to make profit.

In order to do so, they must have enough margin on their products. Most companies have internal rules defining minimal margin's on their products.

They won't make products on which they do not have enough margin and with only 1000 pieces, the fixed costs to make a tire in a new size won't leave enough margin.

Remember also that what is needed is an high end lightweight tire, not Chinese low cost shhit.
Old 02-20-20, 03:47 PM
wilhelmine

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This one may fit the Helix : tiogausa PowerBlock 24 x 1.40 11.81oz; 335g
Old 02-21-20, 12:03 AM
wilhelmine

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
24” tyres for wheel chairs is not the same ETRO, it will not fit.
24' BMX seems to fit
Old 02-21-20, 02:26 AM
Jipe

Sizes in inches are unclear, you should always use the ETRTO size, ETRTO 507 for Helix (there are many other 24"sizes, for instance ETRTO 520, ETRTO 540...).

The Tioga Powerblock should fit for the size.

But is a BMX tire, not made for road use, its durability and puncture protection in case of road use is questionable.
Old 02-24-20, 01:25 PM
j0nnyRocket

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the swingarm has been modified a while ago to accept slightly wider tires - Tioga Powerblocks 24x1.5 fit for sure. Tire height might be more of an issue now, on the front taller tires would hit the pivot holder.
Old 02-25-20, 10:19 PM
Batstar

Originally Posted by Revoltingest
- Production numbers
Alas, still no update. My hope for a May delivery date is slowly diminishing. I suspect nothing startling will be revealed in the next update. Let’s hope that I’m wrong.
Likes For Batstar:
Old 02-26-20, 05:43 AM
MrFlamey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Batstar
Alas, still no update. My hope for a May delivery date is slowly diminishing. I suspect nothing startling will be revealed in the next update. Let’s hope that I’m wrong.
Yeah, I'm feeling the same way about my June shipping date :/ Peter is not good with realistic time estimates, and by now he really should have learned to just double the amount of time he thinks something will take to get a somewhat realistic estimate. Recent updates have been announced a week or more in advanced before the update finally arrives. Although the frequency of updates is much better than when I first started following Helix, it's still not great considering how easy it should be to write a short update saying what's going on and where things are expected to be by the next update. It's certainly an easier task than designing a folding bike, setting up a factory and building a company
Likes For MrFlamey:
Old 02-26-20, 04:04 PM
AvnerBen

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Latest update

There has been an update.
272 bikes shipped thus far. #300 expected in two weeks time. #400 during March. Another hand to be added to assembly. The infamous Corona virus made some obvious delay, but it seems to be solved.
If they can stabilize for now on 100 bikes a month (speculation), then I hope my first bike, scheduled on May, will ship before October. I take that as good news!
Likes For AvnerBen:
Old 02-26-20, 08:25 PM
Batstar

Originally Posted by AvnerBen
There has been an update.
272 bikes shipped thus far. #300 expected in two weeks time. #400 during March. Another hand to be added to assembly. The infamous Corona virus made some obvious delay, but it seems to be solved.
If they can stabilize for now on 100 bikes a month (speculation), then I hope my first bike, scheduled on May, will ship before October. I take that as good news!
Doh! It never even occurred to me that the virus would have affected their supply chain.

The ultralight components sound intriguing. It would be great if they were made available in time for customers who would like the option of swapping out stock parts prior to taking delivery of their bikes. Not sure what Peter had in mind with respect to this offering.

Unfortunately, accessories will likely face more delays for now (no real surprise) but another CNC machine is apparently arriving soon to help speed up production. It also appears that a new customer liaison has been tasked to respond to our email inquiries.

Brief progress updates with numbers are supposedly to be posted every 2-3 weeks now which is encouraging to hear. It’s also probably safe to assume that new delivery dates for our bikes will soon be revised in the portal.
Likes For Batstar:
Old 03-10-20, 10:51 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
The pump question might be a good question to ask Helix. They made the bike after all. Roger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.