Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Jamis Renegade owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-19, 11:48 AM
WORLDSPORT

Bikes: schwinn worlsport trek 7.3 fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree, picked up mine 2 weeks ago. It has to be seen to be fully appreciated. Even the pictures the LBS took during assembly didn't do it justice.
Old 12-21-19, 08:00 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Picked up my 2019 Renegade back in March. Had a blast this year putting on 1000 miles mostly road with some gravel.

im a big guy, 6’4”, 260#. Run the 62cm frame and 40mm Donally Explor’ tubeless

Currently got it indoors for the winter and want to adopt its thru-axle to my Cycle Ops, which uses a skewer. I’ve seen adaptors on Amazon for about $50 but was wondering if anyone else has done this successfully?

Last edited by Toadmeister; 12-21-19 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-21-19, 08:06 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Originally Posted by Toadmeister
Picked up my 2019 Renegade back in March. Had a blast this year putting on 1000 miles mostly road with some gravel.

im a big guy, 6’4”, 260#. Run the 62cm frame and 40mm Donally Explor’

Currently got it indoors for the winter and want to adopt its thru-axle to my Cycle Ops, which uses a skewer. I’ve seen adaptors on Amazon for about $50 but was wondering if anyone else has done this successfully?
I’m also considering other tire options as I tend to do more road miles and will probably ride across Iowa this year on Iowa’s ride ( have done several days of RAGRBRAI in the past on my old road bike). Any recommendations?
Old 12-21-19, 08:12 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by sweetspot
I understand your comment. I should write much more here and not force you guys to visit my website. But again, I put a lot of effort in creating the content on my website and I believe that it could be interesting to you so naturally I want to invite you to my website rather than putting an article like post here.

Below you will find the pictures of my bike with 700x50c tire. As you can see it was a really tight fit and worked only after I piled of a fender mount near the bottom bracket and only at 20 psi because when I infalted the tire to 30 psi it started to rub my carbon fork. I managed to take all the measurement I needed but at the price of a slightly wiped paint on my fork.

I'm also considering a second wheel set with a wider set of gravel tires for the Exploit. Interesting you went up to 50mm wide!

Last edited by Toadmeister; 12-23-19 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-23-20, 01:03 PM
Mr_Pacman

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone with the Rengade have this gap in their FSA Orbit c-40b (according to the Jamis specs for the 2017 Renegade Exile)

I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or not:

With the stem removed, there is this silver ring (or is it a bearing?) with a split in it that is very tight and won't push down or pull out

Thanks
James
Old 06-16-20, 09:10 AM
Schmalejandreau

Bikes: Specialized Chisel 2019 – custom build

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, James!
I do not have the original headset any longer, so I could not say what is causing that gap to appear, but I clearly remember it not being there back when I had the FSA headset. This is not normal. The ring is a type of spacer.
Old 06-20-20, 02:08 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Pacman
Does anyone with the Rengade have this gap in their FSA Orbit c-40b (according to the Jamis specs for the 2017 Renegade Exile)
James
I looked at my 2018 Exploit, which has a slightly different FSA headset (described as "FSA Orbit ITA B") but it looks similar. Unfortunately I can't post a photo (new user) but there's little if any gap between the tapered spacer and the head tube.

With the stem removed, there is this silver ring (or is it a bearing?) with a split in it that is very tight and won't push down or pull out
James
That's a compression ring; it's designed to center and secure the steerer tube in the upper bearing, which it sounds like it's doing quite successfully in your case.
Old 06-20-20, 04:18 PM
Mr_Pacman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
I looked at my 2018 Exploit, which has a slightly different FSA headset (described as "FSA Orbit ITA B") but it looks similar. Unfortunately I can't post a photo (new user) but there's little if any gap between the tapered spacer and the head tube.

That's a compression ring; it's designed to center and secure the steerer tube in the upper bearing, which it sounds like it's doing quite successfully in your case.
So, would it be reasonable to assume that if the compression ring is doing it's job, the gap I'm seeing (due to the tapered spacer hitting the compression ring) is more cosmetic than anything else and most likely not a safety issue?

Thanks for the reply
James
Old 06-20-20, 09:12 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

So, would it be reasonable to assume that if the compression ring is doing it's job, the gap I'm seeing (due to the tapered spacer hitting the compression ring) is more cosmetic than anything else and most likely not a safety issue?

Thanks for the reply
James
Yes, as long as you're certain that the tapered spacer is hitting that ring, and not getting blocked on something else (because, despite how it feels, it's not hard to dislodge that compression ring if it's not held in place). I suppose it's also possible that something got under the compression ring, or into the slit in it, in a way that prevents it from fully seating. Given that you'd already taken it apart far enough to expose the compression ring, you might try disassembling the headset further, then reassembling to see if you find anything amiss. I would guess that with the stem and spacers removed, you can probably pull down the fork a tiny bit, then push it back up to pop out the compression ring, and then the whole fork will drop out (you don't need to fully remove it from the head tube, though). Then put everything back together.

If you lock your front wheel with your brakes, then rock the bike gently forward and back, do you feel any play in the headset, especially around that gap? If it feels like the tapered spacer is rocking forward and back as well, then the headset isn't assembled tightly enough and there's room to drive the compression ring further into the bearing. On the other hand, if it feels solid despite the gap, then I wouldn't worry further about it. Even if everything is adjusted correctly you may still feel a little springiness when rocking the bike, due to compliance in the fork or additional weight on the front tire, but if it's in the headset then you should find out why and eliminate it.
Old 06-24-20, 09:59 AM
bh85

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Is anyone having any issues with paint on their Renegades? I have pretty much brand new one and when I tightened bottle cages, the paint chipped around the mounting holes. I did not over tighten them at all. Also, its chipping around seatpost tightening bolt. I never had any issues with any of the 10 bikes I had. I think paint process is bad?
Old 06-24-20, 10:03 AM
Mr_Pacman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bh85
Is anyone having any issues with paint on their Renegades? I have pretty much brand new one and when I tightened bottle cages, the paint chipped around the mounting holes. I did not over tighten them at all. Also, its chipping around seatpost tightening bolt. I never had any issues with any of the 10 bikes I had. I think paint process is bad?
I've noticed some chips on my 2017 Exile and also some paint wearing off where the black brake cables rub against the paint. I just assumed this was normal. The paint does seem to be much different and more brittle in composition to the paint on my 1990 Giant Iguana. That was a steel bike and the paint was more of a shiny hard durable paint. The paint on my jamis is matte and seems more like an eggshell where it's easier to chip/crack.

In all fairness, I was young when I had the Giant and treated it really well as I only rode it on paved roads. I've been riding this Jamis all over the place on gravel, dirt, rocks etc so it's getting more abuse.
Old 06-24-20, 10:08 AM
bh85

I've noticed some chips on my 2017 Exile and also some paint wearing off where the black brake cables rub against the paint. I just assumed this was normal. The paint does seem to be much different and more brittle in composition to the paint on my 1990 Giant Iguana. That was a steel bike and the paint was more of a shiny hard durable paint. The paint on my jamis is matte and seems more like an eggshell where it's easier to chip/crack.
You said it right "brittle". Mine is gloss gray, and I think that gloss is even worse. I am kinda disappointed because bike is brand new. I have had old steel bikes that had much stronger paint. Also I know someone else who is having the same issues. They send him a new frame and he is having the same paint issues again.
Old 06-24-20, 10:15 AM
Mr_Pacman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bh85
You said it right "brittle". Mine is gloss gray, and I think that gloss is even worse. I am kinda disappointed because bike is brand new. I have had old steel bikes that had much stronger paint. Also I know someone else who is having the same issues. They send him a new frame and he is having the same paint issues again.
I purchased the lowest end model of the Renegade line and got it for a very good price as the Canadian distributor was selling them on sale last year. If I had purchased one of the more higher end models I wouldn't be very happy about it. While I'm quite happy with my Renegade overall, when I compare it to my friends Kona Rove (which was a similar price at MSRP) I feel the Kona has better fit and finishing as well as slightly higher end components. I suspect a Kona Rove ST will be my next gravel bike vs one of the higher end Jamis models due to this reason.

What year is your bike? Mine is a 2017. With so many posts on this particular thread, with people using these bikes for their intended purpose, I feel if this was a widespread issue, we would have seen more complaints about it on here. Hopefully it's just limited to a certain model/color or perhaps a certain year.
Old 06-24-20, 10:21 AM
bh85

I purchased the lowest end model of the Renegade line and got it for a very good price as the Canadian distributor was selling them on sale last year. If I had purchased one of the more higher end models I wouldn't be very happy about it. While I'm quite happy with my Renegade overall, when I compare it to my friends Kona Rove (which was a similar price at MSRP) I feel the Kona has better fit and finishing as well as slightly higher end components. I suspect a Kona Rove ST will be my next gravel bike vs one of the higher end Jamis models due to this reason.

What year is your bike? Mine is a 2017. With so many posts on this particular thread, with people using these bikes for their intended purpose, I feel if this was a widespread issue, we would have seen more complaints about it on here. Hopefully it's just limited to a certain model/color or perhaps a certain year.
Mine is 2020 Expat Gloss Gray. From what I am able to see, its looks like primer/paint is not adhering to the steel like it should.
Old 06-24-20, 11:10 AM
Toadmeister

I do love my Renegade but also really like the Kona Rove and Sutra LTD. Got my wife the Rove ST 650b and she loves that. The Kona Sutra LTD I really like for its bigger tire clearance.
Old 07-08-20, 01:12 PM
nathand

One Renegade note, posting here in case anyone else runs across this: I started getting brake shudder from the front brake, as well as rubbing on the front rotor when I was out of the saddle and pushing hard on the bars. I tightened the headset and attempted to true the rotor and re-center the brake calipers, with no change. Then I found the simple fix: the screw holding the thru-axle module in the front fork had come loose. So, if you start experiencing strange front-end behavior, check that screw!

By the way, has anyone swapped out the thru-axle module, or even seen an alternate module to what's supplied with the bike? Just curious, since I haven't seen any other modules for sale.
Old 07-29-20, 09:42 PM
Junkplease2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2016 Jamis Renegade Expat. Recently while cleaning I noticed my front caliper was held by on only one bolt!

From the looks of it, it looks like I’m missing two parts, the bolt and the nut that the bolt goes into. I posted an image highlighting what I’m talking about.

Does anyone know what this part is called and where I can purchase it online?

Last edited by Junkplease2; 07-29-20 at 09:42 PM. Reason: inserting image
Old 07-29-20, 11:58 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkplease2
I have a 2016 Jamis Renegade Expat. Recently while cleaning I noticed my front caliper was held by on only one bolt!

From the looks of it, it looks like I’m missing two parts, the bolt and the nut that the bolt goes into. I posted an image highlighting what I’m talking about.

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/416331

Visit a bike shop, they will probably just give you the parts you need. It should be less than shipping anyway.
Old 07-30-20, 11:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkplease2

Crazy that it could have fallen out.
I would think the brake wbrakeexcessively rub on the disc with this setup since there is nothing to keep the caliper from moving laterally.
Old 09-07-20, 08:43 AM
Minotac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crankset

Hi everyone. I have elite 2018. I would appreciate if you could help me with the following two questions: 1. powermeter - I bought used Cannondale sisl2 cranks with power2max powermeter and carbonTi rings. But it doesn’t fit, the rings are too far away from the frame, so the chainline isn’t working. It seems that this combination of powermeter and rings does not work with elite’s bb386evo. But it looks strange because as I understand bb386evo was developed by FSA and FSA is also using power2max powermeters on their cranksets. Did anyone fit FSA power2max cranksets on elite carbon frame? 2 - Cannondale cranks - am I right that it is impossible to fit Cannondale’s SiSL2 cranks tp bb386evo on elite due to wrong spindle width?

thanks.
Old 09-07-20, 01:03 PM
mirlocork

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tire clearence Jamis renegade 2020/2021

Originally Posted by lennskii
I'm tempted to grab a Jamis Renegade Expert/Elite - but want a minimum of 42mm tire clearance in the rear. Does anyone have a photo of a 42mm (or bigger) tire in the rear of their carbon Renegade? Just want to make sure it has enough clearance for a bit of dirt at least (pretty dry here, and can add protection tape to prevent the odd bit of abrasion etc).

I´d like to buy a Jamis renegade s2 of 2020 and I want to use SCHWALBE MARATHON 700x45c tires for touring travells.
In some websides i read that the max tire clearance de is 700 * 42 and on others that the 2020 steel model has been increased to 45 mm.
Can someone confirm me if 45mm tires would fit on a 2020 steel renegade ???
thanks
Old 09-12-20, 10:04 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by mirlocork
I´d like to buy a Jamis renegade s2 of 2020 and I want to use SCHWALBE MARATHON 700x45c tires for touring travells.
In some websides i read that the max tire clearance de is 700 * 42 and on others that the 2020 steel model has been increased to 45 mm.
Can someone confirm me if 45mm tires would fit on a 2020 steel renegade ???
thanks
Not a perfect answer, but I can fit 45mm tires in the rear wheel of my 2019 steel Renegade. I got a 700mm x 44 WTB Byway (measures 45mm wide) on in there now with probably 3-4mm clearance to the single mounting zit off the bottom bracket. There is more clearance to the chain and seat stays.

I can probably go up to 50mm on the front but that would leave minimal clearance on the sides Might try this actually.

What's your clearance, Clearance?
Old 09-17-20, 10:55 AM
mirlocork

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tire clearence Jamis renegade 2020/2021

Originally Posted by Toadmeister
Not a perfect answer, but I can fit 45mm tires in the rear wheel of my 2019 steel Renegade. I got a 700mm x 44 WTB Byway (measures 45mm wide) on in there now with probably 3-4mm clearance to the single mounting zit off the bottom bracket. There is more clearance to the chain and seat stays.

I can probably go up to 50mm on the front but that would leave minimal clearance on the sides Might try this actually.

What's your clearance, Clearance?
thanks for your answer
One more thing, does anyone have a photo or know how a rear rack is mounted on the 2020 steel renegade s2/s1 ?. is it reliable with saddlebags?
Thank you very much again
Old 09-17-20, 11:12 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by mirlocork
thanks for your answer
One more thing, does anyone have a photo or know how a rear rack is mounted on the 2020 steel renegade s2/s1 ?. is it reliable with saddlebags?
Thank you very much again
being a steel frame, I wouldn’t be concerned. An aluminum rack is more likely to fail or be a problem in my experience.

FWIW: I’ve run a 10L seat bag, large triangular frame bag, and a front Revelate roll bag for bikepacking.
Old 11-27-20, 02:22 PM
loheiman

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I did my first headset service since I got 2019 Escapade frameset last summer. One of the bearings was a bit gritty and i tried to clean it/regrease it which helped a bit but I'd like to get new bearings. Has anyone replaced their headset bearings? I believe the headset is an FSA Orbit ITA ( https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/h...ting/orbit-ita ). Like another posted said, the bearings dont appear particularly well sealed so I'm looking at other brand bearings or a new headset all together. I found Enduro makes a compatible upper bearing but I can't find one for the lower in the right thickness (Enduro makes 6.5mm thick but the original is 8mm thick).

As for other headsets, the original is a bit unique in that the upper is integrated and the lower uses an external cup. Wolftooth makes a compatible headset I believe (they allow you to purchase the upper and lower separately which is nice) for ~$115.

Last edited by loheiman; 11-27-20 at 02:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.