Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Nasal Congestion . . . .

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Nasal Congestion . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-20, 03:06 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Yea, my first thought is to see an allergist.

Old 03-11-20, 03:55 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Sinus irrigation has been a big help for me. I use the squirt bottle rather than the neti pot. Do it in the shower each morning. Sinus Rinse Regular Kit

I started doing this again this week. I was having really bad congestion, especially at night and first thing in the morning. Flushing the nasal passages has been a huge help! I use the same product.
I do mine just a bit before bedtime.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 05-02-20, 03:58 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Nasal Congestion

I have had this problem for years and keep it in check with Nasonex sprays up the nose and a humidifier when I sleep. I believe a weaker solution is available OTC.
Old 05-02-20, 04:12 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Same. Nothing works better for me than Sudafed -- the real pseudoephedrine, not the phenylephrine crap that's only useful in hemorrhoid creams. Gotta show ID and sign for it at the pharmacy to buy Sudafed and they limit quantities per purchase.

The problem is Sudafed is a stimulant, about like coffee, and can interfere with sleep. And it messes with my resting heart rate so the usual sports stuff about training to heart rate doesn't really work for me.

I've tried everything else. I mean everything, from nasal sprays to saline nasal washes (gets trapped in my sinuses and makes the pain worse) to prednisone to diclofenac to bromelain and yerba mate. Nothing works as well as Sudafed.

Some stuff occasionally helps. A massive dose of niacin (at least 500 mg, up to 2,000 mg a day) causes capillary flushing that can loosen up thick mucous. But it doesn't work every time. Seems to work better on an empty stomach. When I can feel the stinging sensation and my skin reddens, that's when it'll also help with congestion.

I take Zyrtec most days but it's only for itching, watery eyes, etc. Does nothing for congestion.

Sometimes I wake up with such severe sinus headaches I'm dizzy and nauseated from the congestion and pain. I've had MRIs and CT scans. Neurologists differ on diagnoses. Some say it's migraines, some say it's cluster headaches, another says it's trigeminal neuralgia from sinus pressure on the nerves. Another theorized my neck injury (hit by a car several years ago) and damaged C1 and C2 put pressure on nerves that causes my occasional BP and HR spikes, sinus congestion, headaches, etc. But good luck getting a primary care doc, otolaryngologist, ortho docs and neurologists to agree on anything. The approach is so haphazard I've given up on doctors for this particular problem.

But it hits me almost every damned morning. First thing I do is grab a cold gel pack from the fridge and put it on my face for several minutes. Then coffee. I have prescription pain meds but try to avoid them since they make me drowsy and sluggish. Mostly I use CBD now, but it's only moderately effective on severe headaches.

If I feel well enough to go for a bike ride on a cool day the exercise and cool temperature -- between the high 40s and 60s -- will help the sinuses drain. When it happens there's a ridiculous amount of mucous. So much that I only ride solo on those days. It's just too gross for group rides, even if I'm at the back the whole ride.

But by nighttime it's back again. And location and environment don't matter. I've tried sleeping in different places. No help. Even spending a couple of nights in a hospital for throat surgery didn't help with the sinus congestion and pain. Elevating my head can help a little but it's hard to sleep soundly that way.
I didn't know dicoflenac was used for sinus problems. I use the cream for arthritis in my hand
Old 05-02-20, 04:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
I didn't know dicoflenac was used for sinus problems. I use the cream for arthritis in my hand
I don't know that diclofenac is prescribed for sinus problems. I got it for chronic pain in my shoulder and neck after I was hit by a car in 2018. It did absolutely nothing for that pain, which wasn't due to inflammation. My doc said it might help with chronic sinus inflammation. Nope.

I switched back to aspirin, which I hadn't taken in years. It worked on the sinus inflammation. But due to an auto-immune disorder, large frequent doses of NSAIDs cause psoriasis -- my skin gets rough, itchy, then painful cracks in the webs between the fingers. So I cut back from two 325 mg aspirin twice a day to one twice a day. Seems to work.

I haven't found anything that diclofenac is good for with my various symptoms. For chronic muscle and joint aches and pains CBD and kratom work better for me. I'm not sure they're effective anti-inflammatories though. Aspirin was better for that specific issue.
Old 05-27-20, 12:44 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I started doing this again this week. I was having really bad congestion, especially at night and first thing in the morning. Flushing the nasal passages has been a huge help! I use the same product.
I do mine just a bit before bedtime.
Just gives me more irritation, then I really start sneezing! pleased to say, some days now, it isn't so bad anymore. Interesting about the aspirin for sinus stuff . . .
Old 05-28-20, 01:52 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

My immunologist switched me to different inhalers that have really helped:
  • For sinuses: ipratropium bromide. I think Atrovent is one brand name version but mine is the generic.
  • For asthma: Asmanex (mometasone furoate)
Huge improvement in only a few days. The doc said I might not notice any improvement for a week or two, but I noticed within about three days. It's been a month now and this is the best my sinuses and chest have felt in years. The Flonase and albuterol just weren't cutting it anymore.

For awhile I had all the symptoms of COVID-19, except for the fever: impaired sense of smell, headaches, dizziness (from congestion in my sinuses and ears), etc. I avoided my clinic and canceled most non-urgent appointments for fear I was sick. But it was just the sinus allergies and asthma. But I had to attend three urgent care appointments since March.

And I actually delayed filling the prescriptions for a couple of weeks, because of hurdles posed by the current pandemic. I'm a veteran and get most of my meds through the VA. My immunologist is outside the VA system and doesn't have access to the VA system pharmacy. I was skeptical about the new inhalers and just didn't feel any need to rush, so I waited to combine errands. Coincidentally I thought I had a detached retina in early May (turned out to be posterior vitreous detachment, not quite as serious) and had to visit the VA outpatient clinic anyway, so they filled it for me at the same time. I should have done it sooner. The new inhalers are that much better.

I did have one severe sinus headache this week, my first in about a month. Usually they occur more often, like once a week before. These often accompany regional t-storms and barometric pressure shifts. But that's still an improvement and may not be related to the sinus allergies and asthma. I have a deviated septum from boxing, and polyps, so I may eventually need surgery.

Before getting the new inhalers I couldn't smell much of anything. Even changing the cats' litter box -- I have three and use the best clumping litter I can find and scoop every day because I had no idea whether the smell was bad or not. Visitors said they couldn't smell anything so I assumed it was okay. But now I can smell a slight odor as soon as the cats have used it. I can also smell scented candles, my own cooking, wildflowers during bike rides. I had almost no sense of smell for years before.

And the sinus drainage is much better. Before I was almost drowning in phlegm every bike ride. I actually stopped doing group rides last autumn because the drainage was so ridiculous. I figured it was unpleasant enough for me, I didn't want my friends to have to listen to my nonstop hacking, spitting and snot rockets.

But now I hardly need to spit from post nasal drainage or wipe my nose. It's incredible.

Anyway, discuss these with your doctor. No idea about the cost, I'm lucky to have all that covered by the VA. But there are lots of discount programs for many meds. In some cases it's cheaper to go mail order rather than in person pharmacy purchases. In other cases pharmaceutical companies offer discounts and subsidies based on income, age, disabilities, etc., so don't hesitate to apply for those.
Old 10-09-20, 03:18 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Glad you got a good result from meds. My allergy seems caused in part by food; since I cut out raspberries the improvement all round is amazing. But I love raspberries. . .
Old 04-26-21, 11:27 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,598 Times in 2,905 Posts
I use, by prescription, Ipratropium Bromide 0.06% nasal spray. I found it to be the only thing that works for me.

Old 04-27-21, 01:35 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

After using it for several months I've mostly discontinued ipratropium bromide. It thickens my mucus so much that it won't drain and I end up with worse sinus congestion headaches. I use it now only when I have excessive drainage, which is rare for me.

A year later I'm still looking for something that works as well as pseudoephedrine, minus the side effects.

Per suggestions from my ENT doc, I'm using bee propolis and bromelain, which help a little. And Xyzal. But nothing helps much during peak allergy season -- which is pretty much year 'round in Texas.
Old 04-27-21, 06:49 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Phoenix800
I spent probably forty years with sinus congestion. I simply could not breathe through my nose. I had septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery twice in attempt to get some air to pass and breathe like a normal. Both surgeries failed. Summer was torture as the sinus pressure caused discomfort, headache pain, and tooth ache pain.

Today I can breathe through my nose just fine. What changed?

I had a number of other issues including migraine headaches, receding gums, high ocular pressure, and dry skin. A few years of searching the internet made me believe that the amalgam fillings in my teeth might be the cause of my health issues.

I asked my dentist about replacing my amalgam fillings with composites. Since the amalgams were getting old, he had no problem doing this. So I set up four appointments, one for each quadrant, lower left, lower right, upper right, and upper left, in that order. Both lower quadrants were completed with no issues and no changes in my symptoms.

On the day that my upper right amalgams were replaced with composite filings my right sinus cavity spontaneously opened up and I could breathe through my right nostril! This happened before the anesthetic wore off. The ability to breath through my nose, even if on just one side, was simply an incredible feeling.

I was excited to go to my next appointment and have my upper left quadrant fillings replaced. I was convinced that, finally, I’d be able to breathe through my left nostril too. But after the dentist was done, my left sinuses were still stuffed up. I was disappointed beyond belief.

A few days later I figured I’d check out the dentist’s work so I got a cheap dental mirror at the drug store. Incredibly, the dentist had left a small amalgam filling in one of my teeth! I called immediately to make an appointment to have it replaced.

At the dentist, he said that he left the amalgam in because it was fairly new and in good shape but that he’d be happy to replace it. A little while later as I drove home, my left sinus cavity opened up and I could finally breath through my nose! Having been stuffed up for as long as I could remember (I was 48 at the time) this was a near miracle.
Similar thing happened to my wife, maybe 30 years ago.
Old 04-27-21, 07:06 PM
Marylander

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Phoenix800
I spent probably forty years with sinus congestion. I simply could not breathe through my nose. I had septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery twice in attempt to get some air to pass and breathe like a normal. Both surgeries failed. Summer was torture as the sinus pressure caused discomfort, headache pain, and tooth ache pain.
*SNIP*
I asked my dentist about replacing my amalgam fillings with composites.
Hmm, I have had two of those surgeries just like you and am still not good. I'll have to talk to my dentist next time I'm in. The fillings I've got are ancient relics. Here's hoping...
Old 05-17-21, 07:16 PM
Phoenix800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Marylander
Hmm, I have had two of those surgeries just like you and am still not good. I'll have to talk to my dentist next time I'm in. The fillings I've got are ancient relics. Here's hoping...
I recommend you search for Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique (SMART). It may sound like overkill but I've been dealing with mercury poisoning for years, it's not fun, be safe. Mercury is nasty stuff. Please report back if you get your amalgams removed. I wish you the best, it was a life changer for me.
Likes For Phoenix800: