Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

What bike should I get? Still not sure...

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

What bike should I get? Still not sure...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-20, 05:40 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by unikid
The Specs section lists the following:

rear derailleur Shimano Altus 8 speed
FREEWHEEL Sunrace Wide Range 11-32 9-Speed

Freewheel? 9-speed?
That's called a typo ,...check this link out instead: Dahon Launch D8
Old 03-13-20, 07:14 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Have you checked out the Dahon Launch D8? Great bike IMO.
You're asking me? Well, I hadn't before. I don't see what's so great about it though. It's frame/fork are aluminum, not chromoly. That right there makes it inherently wrong. It doesn't have drop-bars. it doesn't come with more than just a cassette for the gears. I'll become interested after these changes have been made.
Old 03-13-20, 08:08 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Nyah
You're asking me? Well, I hadn't before. I don't see what's so great about it though. It's frame/fork are aluminum, not chromoly. That right there makes it inherently wrong. It doesn't have drop-bars. it doesn't come with more than just a cassette for the gears. I'll become interested after these changes have been made.
You mentioned disc brakes, so I simply shared a link to a bike that has them. And it being aluminum, in this case, is moot. The weight limit is 250lbs, vs 230lbs for the Dahon Speed 9. I'm partial to chromoly myself, but I'd make an exception for the Launch D8. I own a Speed P8 and a Speed Uno (modified to a Speed 3i). As for drop bars, more than one cassette, etc,...the Speed D9 that you posted the comment about, claiming it can take a disc brake, it doesn't have those features either, so they're irrelevant to this discussion.
Old 03-13-20, 09:43 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by kayakindude
Just needs screws on the headset for a brompton block adapter.
With the type of stem of the Revelo (designed to reduce the frame length) which is similar to the one of the Ori, its not possible to place a front bag like on the Brompton (and copied by some Bike Friday, Tyrell Yve...): the bag would hit the stem !

You could try to mount an Ori front bag:

Last edited by Jipe; 03-13-20 at 10:03 AM.
Likes For Jipe:
Old 03-13-20, 10:06 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
You mentioned disc brakes, so I simply shared a link to a bike that has them. And it being aluminum, in this case, is moot. The weight limit is 250lbs, vs 230lbs for the Dahon Speed 9. I'm partial to chromoly myself, but I'd make an exception for the Launch D8. I own a Speed P8 and a Speed Uno (modified to a Speed 3i). As for drop bars, more than one cassette, etc,...the Speed D9 that you posted the comment about, claiming it can take a disc brake, it doesn't have those features either, so they're irrelevant to this discussion.
Maybe so, but your recommendation of a bicycle with disc brakes was irrelevant to the discussion, which was about the concept of a bicycle being made to accommodate both disc and cantilever brake systems. Because of that, it looked like you were a retailer trying to talk up a new bicycle regardless of the fact that it was in no way relevant. So I mentioned certain features not being offered, to push back against the industry trying to drive the demand. So don't take it personally. But it does help to pay attention to the discussion.

Last edited by Nyah; 03-13-20 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-13-20, 03:55 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Nyah
Maybe so, but your recommendation of a bicycle with disc brakes was irrelevant to the discussion, which was about the concept of a bicycle being made to accommodate both disc and cantilever brake systems. Because of that, it looked like you were a retailer trying to talk up a new bicycle regardless of the fact that it was in no way relevant. So I mentioned certain features not being offered, to push back against the industry trying to drive the demand. So don't take it personally. But it does help to pay attention to the discussion.
It IS relevant, or I wouldn't have mentioned the bike in response to a disc brake related post stating disc brakes can be added to a bike without the appropriate mounting points.. Amazing that you can't put that together. I was being nice, seeing if you were interested in something that came STOCK with DISC BRAKES. And NO, it doesn't look like I'm a retailer, as I linked to 2 different locations for the availability of said bike. And attempting to "push back against the industry" by mentioning parts that aren't available on 99% of available folding bikes is quite funny actually.

Maybe if you'd read the prior posts, and actually followed your own advice, you would have seen information that was posted before you commented. And you MIGHT have noticed that the OP (Original Poster) had a brief interest in this bike. The bike he's chosen, the Revelo Folding Bike, is apparently a very nice ride. Aluminum too! Hopefully you'll check it out. Me, I'm interested in the Java Fit next time around. It's got a nice heavy rider weight capacity AND comes stock with disc brakes.

have a great evening,...

Last edited by tds101; 03-13-20 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-05-20, 03:47 PM
Stan Heinricher

Bikes: 1978 Serotta road bike, 2011 Dahon 7-speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I hope that the D8 is better than the Dahon 7-speed I bought in 2011. Specifically, when changing a flat tire on the rear wheel, you must break the chain in order to move the rear derailleur into a position that allows the rear wheel to be re-mounted on the rear triangle. When viewed from the derailleur side, you can see that the mount for the derailleur is mounted IN FRONT OF the dropout instead of behind it. Terrible design choice. However, the bike rides well, feels alive, and the down fold of the stem-handlebars makes a de facto ‘bike lock’ so that I never need to bring along a lock when stopping by the grocery store or post office.
Old 04-05-20, 08:39 PM
krackd21

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have a fnhon tornado back home and have it done up to be able to travel long distance hauling cargo. fell in love with folding bikes due to its uniqueness and because its small and compact like me (im a hobbit). if i were you, id go for the BikeFriday NWT. id expect the bike to arrive at my place problem free. bf does have a very high reputation to uphold and so far I have not come across any complains. a video of a bf doing downhill had me sold, lol.

but im currently riding a kona sutra. a bf nwt would probably be my next bike.
Old 04-06-20, 10:39 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Stan Heinricher
I hope that the D8 is better than the Dahon 7-speed I bought in 2011. Specifically, when changing a flat tire on the rear wheel, you must break the chain in order to move the rear derailleur into a position that allows the rear wheel to be re-mounted on the rear triangle. When viewed from the derailleur side, you can see that the mount for the derailleur is mounted IN FRONT OF the dropout instead of behind it. Terrible design choice. However, the bike rides well, feels alive, and the down fold of the stem-handlebars makes a de facto ‘bike lock’ so that I never need to bring along a lock when stopping by the grocery store or post office.
I've never heard of a Dahon bike that requires the chain to be opened up to remove the rear wheel. A little hand action would have allowed you to hold the deraliier to the side, in order to remove the wheel. I have a minivelo that's a NIGHTMARE when it comes to removing the rear wheel,...so I can't say I don't know what you're talking about. LoL!!!
Old 04-06-20, 04:36 PM
Stan Heinricher

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, I can remove the rear wheel without breaking the chain. But I cannot re-mount the rear wheel without breaking the chain. It’s an awful design. I hope that post-2011 Dahons have a better rear hanger.
Old 04-06-20, 05:49 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Yes, I can remove the rear wheel without breaking the chain. But I cannot re-mount the rear wheel without breaking the chain. It’s an awful design. I hope that post-2011 Dahons have a better rear hanger.
Wow,...that sounds like a terrible. I'd hate to have a flat while riding. It would be a real PITA to fix in the wild.
Old 04-06-20, 08:34 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by bingsu
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a folding bike that'll last and even with all the research I've done, I'm not 100% on what to get.

Wants
  • Something I can upgrade parts to eventually, such disk brakes or maybe even internal hub.
  • 20in wheels, and can take wider
  • Okay to be used in park recreational trails, a few stretches of gravel, dirt tracks, and of course roads and pavements
  • I'm in Toronto, Canada. Mentioning just in case there are options here.
​​​​​​Not sure what frame material would work best with these wants so I'm open to suggestion.

I've narrowed it so far
  • Bike friday, NWT or diamond. Can't find current reviews, so I'm wondering if they are still worth the buy. Seems like they check all the wants. Only issue being, I'm in Canada.
  • Dahon, and there is a supplier in Canada called "powerinmotion.ca". But I'm not 100% sure if these frames are upgradeable in the future, or what life expectancy to expect from the newer frames.
  • Helix looks really neat but looks like they are backed up for a while and $$$.
  • Giant Expressway. There is a store in Toronto. Wonder if it checks the boxes though.
Anything I may have missed?
Honestly, if wish I could just get a BMX bike with long seat post and gears at this point if that existed, haha. Too bad that "hooligan" bike is hard to find.

Thanks!

​​

The 26" version of the Change Bike has a bit smaller foot print than the 650b version.
Endlessly upgradeable since its using very stock mtb/RB/gravelbike components.

I wrote about it here :
https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...ght=changebike
Old 04-07-20, 05:33 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by pinholecam
The 26" version of the Change Bike has a bit smaller foot print than the 650b version.
Endlessly upgradeable since its using very stock mtb/RB/gravelbike components.

I wrote about it here :
https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...ght=changebike
Nice suggestion, but way too large for the OP's need apparently. The OP has already gone with the Revelo Lift, and is actually quite happy. Revelo Lift

Last edited by tds101; 06-14-20 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-07-20, 10:51 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Did your make sure to switch to the outermost cog beforehand? Assuming that you had a neos Rd, you could switch to a standard derailleur with a hanger adapter from litepro.
Old 06-14-20, 01:46 PM
P.L.Jensen
Pedal Pusher

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10 single speed - 1992 Ibis Cousin It Tandem - Zizzo Liberte’ Folding Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 82 Posts
I can highly recommend the Zizzo Liberte... Lightweight and nimble...
Old 06-15-20, 02:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Fact you live in Canada , as far as Bike Fridays go is Immaterial.. they are made in Oregon (not imported and warehoused),

and can, and have, shipped them to buyers around the globe..

Anything I may have missed?
Bromptons..

Old 06-17-20, 01:28 PM
Stan Heinricher

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm going to take my Dahon to the shop and ask about getting a different derailleur. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-18-20, 04:31 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 73 Posts
On my Dahon Speed 7, I was able to remove and reinstall the rear wheel without breaking the chain. Like a bike with track ends, there's a bit of technique to it, but it's certainly not impossible.

Tip: remove the chain from the front gear before pulling or installing the rear weehl.