Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What master link do I use if I want to remove the chain each time I clean it?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-20, 05:47 PM
IUseAllTheSpace
RespectmyA,Ihaveatitle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The title speaks for itself, but I would like to add, I am interested in what is the least expensive way, at least to your knowledge, I could achieve the versatility of removing the chain as many times as I need to clean it; and of course I wanna do it without the compromise of my safety, which I will not need osha levels of per se. Sorry if that is a harder task than is appropriate for here, but, if you would like to advise me on the subject, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
​​​​​​Edit:
thank you all for your answers, excellent turnout.

Last edited by IUseAllTheSpace; 10-24-20 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-24-20, 06:15 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
I use a KMC Missing link...and I only use KMC chains for my 11, 10, 9 and 8 speed set ups. I have installed a KMC link on a Shimano HG54 HG-X 10 Speed Chain (on a friend's request) with no issue thus far (8 months and 1600 miles). I will use the Missing Link 3 times in one chain before replacing it with a new one. If I purchase a new chain, then I wolud use a new Missing Link (supplied with the chain). Use a dedicated chain link pliers, makes removal so much easier
Attached Images

Last edited by Bob the Mech; 10-24-20 at 06:19 PM.
Likes For Bob the Mech:
Old 10-24-20, 06:30 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Without question Wipperman Connex by far the best and easiest. I use one for 2 chains then buy a new one. More money but way more time saved using.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 10-24-20, 06:34 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
KMC Missing Link. I reuse 'em so often I can remove 'em with my hands, or at most ordinary pliers to nudge 'em past the slight catch. So far, so good, in a few years of using 'em this way. Haven't had one pop loose, even when the chain has dropped off the chainring.

I always carry a spare too. Haven't needed one myself but a friend did on a group ride a couple of years ago.

However my batch of Missing Links aren't compatible with a Shimano 9-speed chain I just got, which came with the original snap-off pin. Not sure whether there's a quick link for that particular chain. It's much narrower than my old school 6-8 speed chains.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-24-20, 06:43 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob the Mech
I use a KMC Missing link...and I only use KMC chains for my 11, 10, 9 and 8 speed set ups. I have installed a KMC link on a Shimano HG54 HG-X 10 Speed Chain (on a friend's request) with no issue thus far (8 months and 1600 miles). I will use the Missing Link 3 times in one chain before replacing it with a new one. If I purchase a new chain, then I wolud use a new Missing Link (supplied with the chain). Use a dedicated chain link pliers, makes removal so much easier
Ditto - I've been using KMC chains with their Missing Link for over 12 years. The link comes with a new chain.. I believe KMC recommends no more than three re-uses of their Missing Link.. Some have said they have used these more than three times without problems. I do not mix-and-match chain and master link.

When I was riding 8- and 9- speed, the SRAM chain and their master links were a great system. You could remove the master link with you fingers, no tools needed. And I don't recall they had a maximum number of reuses. However, SRAM 10- speed and above use a different master link, which I believe is only to be used once (hopefully someone can agree or correct me on the one time use of SRAM 10- spd and above master links).
Likes For MudPie:
Old 10-24-20, 07:21 PM
IUseAllTheSpace
RespectmyA,Ihaveatitle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Without question Wipperman Connex by far the best and easiest. I use one for 2 chains then buy a new one. More money but way more time saved using.
Ditto
Old 10-24-20, 07:22 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
However my batch of Missing Links aren't compatible with a Shimano 9-speed chain I just got, which came with the original snap-off pin. Not sure whether there's a quick link for that particular chain. It's much narrower than my old school 6-8 speed chains.
There are 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 speed KMC Missing Links available.
Likes For Bob the Mech:
Old 10-24-20, 07:22 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
KMC Missing Link. I reuse 'em so often I can remove 'em with my hands, or at most ordinary pliers to nudge 'em past the slight catch. So far, so good, in a few years of using 'em this way. Haven't had one pop loose, even when the chain has dropped off the chainring.
That was my approach too until one popped loose and the chain swung down, behind the rear DR and up into the cassette, pulling the chain forward and destroying the rear DR. It all happened in about a second. I stopped hard as soon as I heard something weird and by that time it was over. DR looked like a broken pretzel. I was on the second re-coupling after the initial install(so three total couplings since removed from the packaging). I'd taken the chain off 3-4 rides previous to the failure and cleaned the drivetrain..everything ran fine. Started the fifth ride and poof..done.

Soo.. I ordered some of these and changed out all the links on all my bikes. I now keep a log of bike & number of chain breaks, Not sure yet how long I'll use these..3-5 cycles?..not sure. Fortunately the DR that was destroyed was easily replaced. There are others I'd hate to loose.

Likes For fishboat: