Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Should I Do This?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Should I Do This?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-21, 07:32 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Definitely enter and ride the 5K, 10K or both- enjoy!
Old 05-05-21, 09:50 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Great result!
Old 05-10-21, 10:51 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
My city (Tallahassee, FL) is sponsoring a Senior Games and one of the events is cycling. The competition is a time trial with the option of either 10K or 5K. I'm thinking of entering even though I'm pretty sure I have no real chance to be competitive, for several reasons.

1. It's open to those age 50 and older and I'm 70. I doubt I'll be very competitive with cyclists 20 years younger than I am.

2. My only bike is a gravel bike (Specialized Diverge) with 38c tires. This seems almost like trying to compete in the Tour de France on a mountain bike (except that there actually are mountains in the Tour de France).

3. The distances are very short. The shortest ride I've taken in more than a year is 15 miles, so I'm more conditioned to endurance rather than speed. Maybe I'd be better off going for a trail ride than entering a competition with such a short distance.

I'm inclined to enter just to see what it's like. Does this seem worthwhile? Another question, assuming I enter, is whether I should ride the 5K or the 10K. My inclination is to ride the 10K, which already seems too short. Who would prefer a 5K bike ride anyway? My current thinking on this is: Why not? Any other thoughts?
Do it.
push self like a mad dog.
meet people test self go for it.