Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Helping finding a new wheel

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-21, 05:40 AM
lespool

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,
I have a broken spoke that I think has caused the wheel to warp a bit. I need a new front wheel.

Here are all the details I can find:

There is a sticker on the rim that says "Matrix 750"
The tire says "700 x 35C"
Trek - 17.5"
WTU265C4056D is the serial number

Any thoughts on where I can find this? I can replace tubes and tires but I'm not sure where to look for this wheel.

Thanks.
Old 09-24-21, 06:28 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by lespool
...I have a broken spoke that I think has caused the wheel to warp a bit. I need a new front wheel...
Deflate the tire, then remove the tire, tube and rim strip. Remove the broken spoke and save the spoke nipple. If you have all the pieces of the broken spoke, that's good. Likely, the break is at the J-bend where the spoke head threads through the hub's flange hole. If you don't have the entire spoke for whatever reason, then you'll need to remove another spoke from the front wheel. Take this example spoke from your wheel to a bike shop and have them order (or more likely from stock) a replacement spoke of the same dimensions. Buy two. Ask for a couple of spoke nipples, too. Brass, not aluminum.

Using any spoke from the same side of the flange that passes the same way through the flange (inward or outward) as an example how, thread the replacement spoke from the flange through its neighbors to the rim. Lightly lubricate the spoke threads and insert the nipple and tighten a few turns. Do the same with the example spoke that you had removed.

Place the wheel back in your fork. Invert the bike or suspend it from a bike stand or shade tree. Using the pitch of the similar spokes (the ones going in the same direction from the hub as the ones that you re-installed), begin to tighten the replacement nipples until the "ping" sound from plucking or striking the old versus new is pretty close. Like tuning a guitar.

Now, spin the rim and note where it passes through the brake pads. How far off is the side-to-side wobble? How about radially? Now all you must do is "true" the rim using spoke tightness in the affected areas. Watch a few YouTube videos on rim truing. It's really not difficult at all. You'll be looking to get less than 0.5mm variation in any dimension as the rim passes.

Tools needed: spoke wrench that fits your size spoke nipples, tire levers to remove tire, pump to re-inflate tube, light oil for the spoke threads.

Time to repair: aside from going and getting the spoke, and videos on truing, the total time might be about 30 minutes.

Good luck.
Old 09-24-21, 07:29 AM
lespool

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks!

That sounds very detailed and complicated. Isn't it easier to just get a new wheel? I don't think I can do all that. And the rim is bent so that seems like id need work to do. I was thinking I can order a wheel, add a tube, put the tire on and put it on and off I go. This bike just gets me to the grocery store. I'm not a serious biker.

LP
Likes For lespool:
Old 09-24-21, 07:36 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Thanks!

That sounds very detailed and complicated. Isn't it easier to just get a new wheel? I don't think I can do all that. And the rim is bent so that seems like id need work to do. I was thinking I can order a wheel, add a tube, put the tire on and put it on and off I go. This bike just gets me to the grocery store. I'm not a serious biker.

LP
If that simple repair sounds too difficult, you could also have the wheel repaired by a bike mechanic. Buying a complete wheel when an inexpensive part could be replaced sounds silly. As well, you would still have to remove the tire and inner tube from your old wheel and install them on the new one.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-24-21, 07:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I wouldn't expect one spoke breaking to have caused the wheel to warp enough to be an issue. It is possible though. So likely the entire wheel needs to have all it's spokes checked for proper tension.

Most bike shops that have a wheel person do that for minimal cost. And if they have the proper spoke in stock it won't be too much additional for them to replace it.

Though it is possible that whatever broke your spoke also bent or damaged the wheel rim to the point it shouldn't be fixed. So eyes on the rim will be better than us hoping for a best case outcome.
Old 09-24-21, 08:00 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
That sounds very detailed and complicated. Isn't it easier to just get a new wheel? I don't think I can do all that.
Then take the whole wheel to a bike shop and let them replace the spoke. If the rim is too warped to salvage, they'll let you know. But replacing a single spoke and truing/tensioning the wheel is likely to be more cost effective than replacing the entire wheel.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-24-21, 08:10 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I wouldn't expect one spoke breaking to have caused the wheel to warp enough to be an issue. It is possible though.
It has happened to me on both my 26" and 700c bikes. On the other hand I have finished rides and found a spoke hanging or missing without any wheel warping.
Old 09-24-21, 08:35 AM
lespool

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So is it not easy to just use the information I provided and find a new wheel online? I have heard they are difficult to pinpoint the right size. I am simply going with ease. To me, I can put a new wheel on easier than doing spoke repair myself and from what I remember when this happened in the past, it isn't that cheap to get repair in the BALTIMORE MD area.
Old 09-24-21, 08:44 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Buying a new wheel is more expensive than having someone at a local bike shop replace a broken spoke and straightening the wheel for you.

Why is this so difficult to understand?
Old 09-24-21, 08:52 AM
lespool

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prj71
Buying a new wheel is more expensive than having someone at a local bike shop replace a broken spoke and straightening the wheel for you.

Why is this so difficult to understand?
It's easy to understand. Google told me wheels are about under $100. But then again I'm asking for more specifics on what wheel would fit. I've had spokes replaced multiple times in the past and the cost and the enormous wait for repair is brutal. It's not a $10 fix at a bike shop.
Old 09-24-21, 08:55 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
So is it not easy to just use the information I provided and find a new wheel online? I have heard they are difficult to pinpoint the right size. I am simply going with ease. To me, I can put a new wheel on easier than doing spoke repair myself and from what I remember when this happened in the past, it isn't that cheap to get repair in the BALTIMORE MD area.
You won't find the same wheel, so your wheels won't match.

If you still want that option, look for a 700c quick release front wheel that's compatible with rim brakes.

​​​​​​I'd vote for getting the wheel repaired as matching wheels are preferred. The only time I had it done, a spoke repair cost me $30. I learned to do it myself after that.
Old 09-24-21, 09:19 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
It's easy to understand. Google told me wheels are about under $100. But then again I'm asking for more specifics on what wheel would fit. I've had spokes replaced multiple times in the past and the cost and the enormous wait for repair is brutal. It's not a $10 fix at a bike shop.
But it is still less than a new wheel and there isn't going to be an enormous wait.

Are you really that obtuse?
Old 09-24-21, 09:35 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Thanks!

LP
It is neither detailed nor complicated. I explained what you need: a spoke wrench, tire levers, light oil and a pump. That's all. I gave you the simple sequence of steps that are to be followed. It's no more complicated than any minor repair around the house. Honestly, this is a skill that, once mastered, can pay off for a lifetime of bike riding enjoyment. Learn to true a rim. It's not hard. I started as a 13 year old, two decades before the internet, and somehow figured it out. You can do it, too.

Alternatively, let a bike shop repair your wheel. Replacing a wheel is a bad choice unless and until you have verified that it cannot be fixed simply. In terms of cost analysis, and using "pulled out of thin air" numbers:
- home repair = Tools $20, Materials = $3
- shop repair = $45
- buy wheel = $125

You don't have to have an MBA to identify both the most economical and the most instructive route.
Old 09-24-21, 09:37 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Another thought...where do you live, and is there a bicycle cooperative in your area? They could supply the tools and supervise your self-repair. Best of both worlds, and the cost would be even less.
Old 09-24-21, 09:41 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Amazon has 700c wheels for as low as $50, and although not of great quality, probably adequate and as inexpensive as having a shop repair your wheel. It's a front wheel so in all probability 100mm (about 4") width. Check the distance between the dropouts before ordering.
Old 09-24-21, 09:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by BobbyG
It has happened to me on both my 26" and 700c bikes. On the other hand I have finished rides and found a spoke hanging or missing without any wheel warping.
Wasn't my acknowledgement that it's possible enough for you to see that I realize there are exceptions, maybe many of them to what I stated?

I don't know why I'd need confirmation of that.
Old 09-24-21, 10:00 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6939 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Then take the whole wheel to a bike shop and let them replace the spoke. If the rim is too warped to salvage, they'll let you know. But replacing a single spoke and truing/tensioning the wheel is likely to be more cost effective than replacing the entire wheel.
Yep. And if the wheel does need to be replaced, they will be able to get you a new one.
Old 09-24-21, 10:03 AM
lespool

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks guys great advice! Appreciated.
Old 09-24-21, 10:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

You need to consider the axle type, the drop out or fork end spacing it's made for, Shimano and other refer to that as O.L.D. (over locknut dimension). What the internal and sometime external rim width is that might matter. What type brakes you have, rim or disc, if disc which type of mount. If rear wheel then what type of cassette, freewheel or if your bike is IGH.

So if you want a wheel then you have to get real specific about what you currently have and might wish for in the future.

A bike shop can help you with that stuff too. They've found decent wheels for inexpensive prices on my son's bike that he tore up.
Old 09-24-21, 10:08 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Wasn't my acknowledgement that it's possible enough for you to see that I realize there are exceptions, maybe many of them to what I stated?

I don't know why I'd need confirmation of that.
No slight intended, I was just adding my 2-cents to bolster your observation hoping to show the original poster that his situation doesn't always require a new wheel. I failed to include your whole quote, and I can see where that would make it seem as if you didn't address all possible outcomes, or offer the low cost solution of having a bike shop true the wheel, which you did indeed do.

Perhaps it was a case of "Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking", or just "60+ yo (sigh) Love to argue."
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 09-24-21, 11:40 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen