Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Winter Boots - what do You wear in snow and below zero F?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 10-28-20, 06:58 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts

This is mostly optimal for folks fat biking in states bordering Canada or Canadians and of course Scandinavia, Iceland ... anywhere with snow and temperatures below zero Fahrenheit or -20 Celsius:

What do You wear when fat biking?

I have had these bit LL Bean Hunting Boots since probably 1995 and they are starting to show cracks in the rubber outer shell now. I will probably get one more season out of them but I wanted to be ready to pounce on a deal if the right boot comes along.

I use flat pedals, bike on day trips but also many overnight camping/bunkhouse bike trips.

For temperatures hovering around 0 or slightly above my choice is a toss up between leather hiking boots with wool insoles.

Old 10-28-20, 07:36 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
This is mostly optimal for folks fat biking in states bordering Canada or Canadians and of course Scandinavia, Iceland ... anywhere with snow and temperatures below zero Fahrenheit or -20 Celsius:

What do You wear when fat biking?

I have had these bit LL Bean Hunting Boots since probably 1995 and they are starting to show cracks in the rubber outer shell now. I will probably get one more season out of them but I wanted to be ready to pounce on a deal if the right boot comes along.

I use flat pedals, bike on day trips but also many overnight camping/bunkhouse bike trips.

For temperatures hovering around 0 or slightly above my choice is a toss up between leather hiking boots with wool insoles.
I've enjoyed 45NRTH Wölvhammer for riding through Minneapolis winters, I've been out in temps down around -30F. I typically ride for an hour or two, never over night stuff.

However, I think these boots likely won't be the best fit for your goals. A buddy that's ridden the Arrowhead 135 recommends Baffin Impact - I plan to get these for my Arrowhead attempt in a year or two.
Old 10-28-20, 07:57 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Baffin Impact - pretty good recommendation outside of the usual suspects in my FOV. Thank You! I am checking them out right now.
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 10-30-20, 08:06 PM
zorax2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
In super cold Minnesota weather, I go with the 45NRTH Wolfgar boots and in to 0 to 30F will typically ride with the 45NRTH Wolvhammers. The Wolvhammers aren't quite as warm for super cold weather but are better with flat pedals. The Wolfgars are ok with flat pedals as they have a boot style heal. I typically ride flats rather than clip in pedals and have been happy with both.
Likes For zorax2:
Old 10-31-20, 10:30 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
I use platform pedals and I wear Kamik Green Bay boots.

The pair I have are going on their 4th winter and are still in very good condition. I expect to get several more years out of them. You can find them all over the place for under $100, and I bought mine at Mills Fleet Farm on sale for $40. Yes, they are cold climate barn boots. My feet stay warm and dry in them.

They use a synthetic rubber lower shell and a nylon upper. I believe they use a polyester fleece liner. Kamik rates them for down to -40 degrees and I have worn them down to -35F. And best of all, they sell them in a size 14 which I need.

Kamik does make boots for colder climates than Fargo's -40. Their "Cody" is rated for down to -100F at a price under $150 US.
Old 11-03-20, 08:26 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I use platform pedals and I wear Kamik Green Bay boots.

The pair I have are going on their 4th winter and are still in very good condition. I expect to get several more years out of them. You can find them all over the place for under $100, and I bought mine at Mills Fleet Farm on sale for $40. Yes, they are cold climate barn boots. My feet stay warm and dry in them.

They use a synthetic rubber lower shell and a nylon upper. I believe they use a polyester fleece liner. Kamik rates them for down to -40 degrees and I have worn them down to -35F. And best of all, they sell them in a size 14 which I need.

Kamik does make boots for colder climates than Fargo's -40. Their "Cody" is rated for down to -100F at a price under $150 US.
Good share, I will check those out at the local Farm & fleet. They also seem to have the Cody. but they look "stiff" meaning the foot doesn't seem to be able to rotate like it needs on a pedal.
I noticed with some winter boots that work good for walking, they don't work well for biking since the foot and "upper part" need to flex in relation to each other as the pedal moves through the stroke. This is unlike walking where the ankle joint doesn't need to rotate a lot. I will see when i try them out.

As for the temperature rating, those are for walking where the foot does some work. On a pedal, the foot barely does anything and gets colder. It also is good to get boots that are larger. this provides more air around the foot (air insulates) and doesn't limit circulation. So a given boot can be warm or cold depending on size.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 11-03-20 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-21-20, 07:09 PM
xseal

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by zorax2
In super cold Minnesota weather, I go with the 45NRTH Wolfgar boots and in to 0 to 30F will typically ride with the 45NRTH Wolvhammers. The Wolvhammers aren't quite as warm for super cold weather but are better with flat pedals. The Wolfgars are ok with flat pedals as they have a boot style heal. I typically ride flats rather than clip in pedals and have been happy with both.
I use the Wolfgar's with clipless pedals and they are awesome. I bought them in a peeve after coming back with frozen toes "for the last time." The boots are big and heavy, but not really noticeable riding a fat bike and when the weather is that cold I usually am not worried about speed. But ... I come back with warm feet. Seriously. Warm.
Likes For xseal:
Old 12-21-20, 07:25 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Lake MX303 on SPD pedals.

They are not as warm as I hoped they would be. Nor as wide.
Old 12-21-20, 09:05 PM
xseal

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.

Lake 303's are what I was wearing before I got the Wolfgars ....
Old 12-22-20, 09:50 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by xseal
I use the Wolfgar's with clipless pedals and they are awesome. I bought them in a peeve after coming back with frozen toes "for the last time." The boots are big and heavy, but not really noticeable riding a fat bike and when the weather is that cold I usually am not worried about speed. But ... I come back with warm feet. Seriously. Warm.
I ride the Wölvhammer in the winter with my fatbike and besides keeping toes from turning to ice cubes in sub-zero temps ... when I get to spring weather and take the first ride with summer shoes & bikes, it feels like I'm FLYING!!!
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 12-28-20, 09:09 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I've used these https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1213...sneaker&pos=12 with platform pedals in single degree temps.
Old 12-29-20, 09:14 AM
trace

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not a fatbiker but I have commuted by bike in winter for a long time. My coldest rides have been around -5F. Personally I don't like high boots for cycling because of lack of ability to flex the ankle, as mentioned. I like ankle height boots that are both waterproof and insulated (PrimaLoft insulation is good, like the LLBean boots that 02 Giant linked, or Thinsulate or other polyester insulation.) Boots sold for winter hiking or snowshoeing are usually good, if you use flat pedals. I have these, except I'm a chick so I have the women's version. But since women are supposed to be wimpier about cold than men, if it works for me it'll probably work for you... https://www.rei.com/product/838116/g...ter-boots-mens
Old 12-29-20, 10:12 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I bought these Kamik Cody XT. they were $150 at REI. I first tried out some of the other Kamik boots at Farm and Fleet, but decided these are a bit better / newer. I like they don't have laces.
Rode down to -12C with one pair of socks and they were fine. i have them in a larger size for more socks if needed. They are a bit awkward to walk long distances, which may be due tot he size. But on the bike you don't notice them. I guess super insulated boots always will be awkward due to the huge size.
Old 12-30-20, 12:51 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Lake Boots

Originally Posted by Steve B.

I bought these thinking that I was going to eventually put spds on my fat bike. Never happened. LBS told me to start with flats on the fatty, and guess I never found the need to put the spds on that one. I've been ok in the Lake boots though down to -17 for a couple hours. I didn't upsize enough on them to layer enough socks for colder though. Single digits and below I use a base layer thin sock, then my Darn Tough wool socks over them. So far, that's been good. I did receive some Sorel Conquest boots I'd seen recommended on the Arrowhead FB group. They run tremendously small if going by US sizing, so I'll be returning them for larger. I'm hoping these will double as snow showing/fat biking boots.
Old 01-04-21, 11:43 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
I don't fat bike when it starts getting below 15 degrees. Would hate to be 4 miles back on the trail with sweaty clothes and have a mechanical problem. Trying to work on a broken chain or replacing a tube in a tire or anything else that requires dexterity with cold hands is just absolutely no fun.
Old 01-04-21, 12:38 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 2,908 Times in 1,472 Posts
Baffin made in Canada/

https://www.rei.com/b/baffin/c/mens-boots
very well made & insulated.
Old 01-05-21, 07:23 PM
tilsover

Bikes: 2019 KHS 1000; 1990 (or so) Trek 930

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 28 Posts
When it's really cold I'll stick a couple of those toe warmer packets into my boots. I get 'em at the fleet store. I'd post a photo but I haven't been on this forum long enough to do so.
Old 01-06-21, 07:35 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Some worn out wolverine work boots. double socks if its below like 30.
Old 01-13-21, 10:31 PM
walterpeter946
Banned.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh! I have Northwave Winter Cycling Shoes. I have since a year now and they are amazing. I love it. They are the best cover when you have to ride or walk in the snow, mud, or rains.
Old 03-23-21, 02:32 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Bikes: 2013 Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Steger Mukluks Yukon for extreme cold. Keen 8" High leather boots w/ wool socks in lesser cold.
Likes For Ted Noiz:
Old 03-24-21, 09:48 AM
tilsover

Bikes: 2019 KHS 1000; 1990 (or so) Trek 930

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted Noiz
Steger Mukluks Yukon for extreme cold. Keen 8" High leather boots w/ wool socks in lesser cold.
I assumed my Steger Mukluks would be too soft for pedaling, until I tried them. Now they're my favorite cold weather biking boot. Warm and super lightweight.
Likes For tilsover:
Old 09-19-21, 06:02 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
fwiw - not a fat biker, but I get out year 'round. while it gets lower near me I usually only ride in the teensF. but I did sit still for a football playoff game for 3 hrs at 10 degreesF (the reason I bought them, for my Son & myself). Columbia Omni-Tech, waterproof

size 14, layered socks & on the coldest days I use chem packs, cuz I have virtually no circulation in my toes. sometimes between layers, sometimes over the top of the top layer

I'm not sure, from personal field testing, but I would try them below zero

set up extra large extended DIY 1/2 clips

love winter riding

but I don't mind waiting for it ... ;-)
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-20-21, 12:51 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Another Minnesotan chiming in. Before switching to Wolfgars, I rode with Salomon Toundras. Nice and flexible, "sticky" sole for pedal pins, aerogel insulation. I paired them with RBH VBL socks or, in not as cold temps, Stephenson Warmlite VBLs. I did two Arrowheads with them. If you want to go really cold and don't mind the pedal stroke feeling a bit odd (= "squishy"), you could try Steger Mukluks.