Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Options for adult with special needs

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 01-24-22, 11:49 AM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts

I have an adult son with special needs (level 3 autism, intellectual disability disorder, bipolar disorder, OCD, ADHD, etc.) who lives in a group home who isn't physically handicapped and has tons of energy (he loves to jog and jump) but can't ride a bike. There are big kid bikes out there but has anyone ever converted an old 26er to a balance bike? I'm thinking of doing so with my old hardtail to the right:

It's medium size frame and he's about 6'2" so he would be able to stand astride it. I've already semi stripped the drivetrain components off it so that he doesn't bash his shins. I'm also thinking of putting a dowel or something through the BB shell to use as foot pegs.

In the meantime, I ordered a DXT Drift Trike off Amazon for him to ride around indoors over the colder months. If he doesn't take to the balance bike idea I will swap out the "drifter" wheels on this for 10" pneumatic ones from the hardware store - and maybe even put in a more padded saddle so that he can ride in a local park/rail trails.

What do you think? Bad idea?
Old 01-24-22, 11:53 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
don't stop. you're on to something.
Old 01-24-22, 12:03 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
A Balance bike would be easy to convert to and still leave you options for a return to normal. I have considered converting an old Mixti to a balance bike with a single large brake. I have also considered a hydraulic disk brake on a single lever that feeds both front and rear tires.
Old 01-24-22, 06:24 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I think I saw adult training wheels somewhere (not a fan). The balance bike idea sounds good.
Old 01-24-22, 06:42 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
Personally I'd skip the foot pegs. I don't think they add much value, and potentially get in the way.

I've used DIY balance bikes like this to teach non-riding adults how to ride, and they work great. My grandsons both used balance bikes; I think one had footrests but I don't recall ever seeing them used.

Good luck.
Old 02-18-22, 11:38 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
i have severe epilepsy, and about 15 years ago had to deal with retro grade, anti retro amnesia. the only real complaint from nurse was my muscle memory stuck to me, "was in martial arts from 4 to college" so if you can get him comfortable with it to the point it seems a natural thing, then odds are it will stick. I think you are doing a great thing, and hope it goes in a positive matter
Old 02-19-22, 04:48 PM
NRissy
Bike-train

Bikes: Santana Encore Tandem, Trek 3900, Marin MTB, Marin Road bike.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Could you try putting him on a tandem? Having someone in front to steer while he just pedals? their are blind tandem clubs; you might find someone who could help you wit this. I also know that Special Olympics sometimes does tandems. I meet a gentleman from Denver with a special needs 30 year old who has been riding with her for over 15 years! He just upgraded to a electric assist tandem because he has a bad knee.
Old 02-11-23, 06:10 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Awesomely adaptive: HASE BIKES for kids with special needs - HASE Bikes USA.
Old 02-14-23, 09:16 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 774 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
A Balance bike would be easy to convert to and still leave you options for a return to normal. I have considered converting an old Mixti to a balance bike with a single large brake. I have also considered a hydraulic disk brake on a single lever that feeds both front and rear tires.
I don't know if the master cylinder would be capable of moving enough fluid volume to apply two calipers with sufficient brake force.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 03-10-23, 07:23 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I don't know if the master cylinder would be capable of moving enough fluid volume to apply two calipers with sufficient brake force.
This can absolutely be done.
https://www.outbraker.eu/product/out...rake-splitter/
Old 03-10-23, 10:33 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 774 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
That's not how hydraulic braking systems work.
Read the reviews (comments at the end of the 'article', which is nothing more than a paid ad, IMHO.)
OutBraker inline booster adjusts your road, mountain bike hydraulic disc brake power - Bikerumor
Old 04-16-24, 07:01 AM
mramra

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PGHNeil
I have an adult son with special needs (level 3 autism, intellectual disability disorder, bipolar disorder, OCD, ADHD, etc.) who lives in a group home who isn't physically handicapped and has tons of energy (he loves to jog and jump) but can't ride a bike. There are big kid bikes out there but has anyone ever converted an old 26er to a balance bike? I'm thinking of doing so with my old hardtail to the right:

It's medium size frame and he's about 6'2" so he would be able to stand astride it. I've already semi stripped the drivetrain components off it so that he doesn't bash his shins. I'm also thinking of putting a dowel or something through the BB shell to use as foot pegs.

In the meantime, I ordered a DXT Drift Trike off Amazon for him to ride around indoors over the colder months. If he doesn't take to the balance bike idea I will swap out the "drifter" wheels on this for 10" pneumatic ones from the hardware store - and maybe even put in a more padded saddle so that he can ride in a local park/rail trails.

What do you think? Bad idea?
I'm not very good at this, but I hope everything works out for you. Good health to you!