Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Experience trying road bikes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-18-22, 04:46 PM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

I currently been riding a hybrid bike , but n+1 has been calling and wanted to try /buy road bike.
after trying several, the issue I’ve been having is discomfort in the privates area. I was told that bike shorts Would help, but I feel it shouldn’t be that way.

do you recall when you first tried road bikes , how did you get past this if you had such issues ?
Old 05-18-22, 04:54 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I was never planning on riding in blue jeans and underwear. I always assumed padded shorts were recommended and worn by experienced riders for a reason. Its part of the comfort equation. Obviously its a long learning curve finding a comfortable saddle but thats a road you need to travel on. On a first road bike from a local shop, they should work with you on a saddle alternative and should be able to recommend an alternative to whatever ass hatchet you did not like.
Old 05-18-22, 04:54 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
Padded shorts will help with the contact points in your butt, but you really shouldn't be experiencing discomfort in your scrotum or penis. I would guess the bikes you have tried have not had the saddles adjusted to where you need them.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-18-22, 05:02 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I got bike shorts or bibs. Then I got butt cream for really long rides. You also need road bike miles on that butt to really feel comfortable so start off with 30-40min rides and work up from there.
If you don't like the look you can get mountain bike shorts which are a little less formfitting but have a chamois inside.

I would say I'm fairly typical but this being bikeforums you'll get a few of, "Well shucks, I just ride my grandfather's Schwinn Paramount in my old dungarees and horse hair underwear 12,000miles every year and I'm perfectly fine." But most of us go the bike shorts route.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 05-18-22, 05:09 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Coming off of a hybrid, a road bike will place you in a position that will take some getting used to. Chamois cream, a padded liner, a firm, well-adjusted saddle, and some hours on the bike should help. Be patient.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-18-22, 05:15 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
"discomfort in the privates" is rather vague. It could be something that a different saddle would remedy. It could be something that cycling specific clothing would remedy. It could be something that requires both in addition to a dollop of cream.
Old 05-18-22, 05:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
I currently been riding a hybrid bike , but n+1 has been calling and wanted to try /buy road bike.
after trying several, the issue I’ve been having is discomfort in the privates area. I was told that bike shorts Would help, but I feel it shouldn’t be that way.

do you recall when you first tried road bikes , how did you get past this if you had such issues ?
It depends on the nature of the discomfort. Are we talking your junk falling asleep? Or a feeling of pressure on the perineum? Or are you crushing your junk?

It also depends on what you're wearing now - gym shorts? Jeans with undies? Briefs or boxers?

The first place to look is the saddle. Not just the shape, but also the height, setback, and angle. Ideally, your weight should be carried on your sit bones. If not, you'll have issues. I've had saddles that allowed my sit bones to sink in too far, which led to the middle of the saddle pressing on the perineum, causing numbness where I don't want it. I've had others where the top of the saddle was straight from front to back, which doesn't work for me because I'm low flexibility and roll my hips forward, rather than bending at the waist, so I need a 'wave' saddle, which is higher at front ant back than the middle. If your saddle is too high for your leg length and pedaling style, that can be a problem. and on and on.

Regarding what you're wearing, mostly what padded cycling shorts do is less about padding and more about fitting to you so well that the shorts provide a good interface between you and the saddle, with no rubbing, chafing, or lumpy seams. The snug fit also helps keeping the jewels out from between you and the saddle.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-18-22, 05:34 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Shorts

+1
Go to Padded Bike shorts.
If you really must... padded MTB shorts are not nearly as tight.
But.... self respecting road cyclists won't ride with you.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-18-22, 05:59 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
get a good bike fit, ride more, be patient and if the discomfort does not go away, start looking into getting a saddle that fits you better, padded riding shorts help,

Last edited by Eds0123; 05-18-22 at 08:59 PM.
Likes For Eds0123:
Old 05-18-22, 06:04 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
what are you comparing it to? can you show a photo of your current hybrid saddle?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-20-22 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-18-22, 06:05 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Takes a few rides to get used to it.
Old 05-18-22, 07:16 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
If I'm riding more than 20 miles, I'll wear padded shorts, but most days I ride 15-20 miles, no padding, and no problem. As others have said, either you need to do some more riding to get used to the new bike, or there is a problem with the saddle/fit on the bike. We don't know what the problem is, but from my experience, you don't NEED padded shorts to prevent discomfort when you ride a road bike.
Old 05-19-22, 08:16 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
You have tried several road bikes so I'm assuming that this was with multiple stock saddles on each bike. My first suggestion would be to use a padded short. I prefer the gel shorts as they don't use their shape as a chamois pad does and seem to be a little thicker. If you don't like the road bike type of bike short you get a bike short liner. Basically it's underwear with a chamois pad inside. Then you can wear whatever type of clothing you want over it. The next thing I would try is a saddle with a section that is cut out in the middle. That helps to relieve any pressure in the center. You can also find different types of saddles in regards to the "hardness" or "softness" of the saddle.
Old 05-19-22, 08:52 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
When I first rode a road bike it was over 50 years ago, I rode in cutoffs and Jeepers. The first time I tried riding shorts was in 1983 and I had a leather chamois.
Funny, I had cleated cycling shoes before I had cycling shorts.

You should look into adjusting the saddle or looking for a better fitting saddle.
Old 05-20-22, 08:39 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts

It took me nearly 2 years of riding 40 miles a day (2hrs) on the skinny saddle on my new Bianchi (1985) road bike 3-5 days a week before my butt got hardened up enough to not be in serious pain, and I always wore bike shorts with padding.

Now, 35 years of riding later, my ass only hurts after about 4 hours of hard riding. By the time I finish a 5hr Century I can’t feel my butt at all!

It’s a process your ass must go through to get toughened up when you switch to a skinny seat.

Last edited by A350driver; 05-20-22 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-20-22, 09:02 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by A350driver
It took me nearly 2 years of riding 40 miles a day (2hrs) on the skinny saddle on my new Bianchi (1985) road bike 3-5 days a week before my butt got hardened up enough to not be in serious pain, and I always wore bike shorts with padding.

Now, 35 years of riding later, my ass only hurts after about 4 hours of hard riding. By the time I finish a 5hr Century I can’t feel my butt at all!

It’s a process your ass must go through to get toughened up when you switch to a skinny seat.
No offense, but someone that's been at it for 35 years, and still can't finish a century without a numb ass, is the last person that I'd take saddle advice from.
Old 05-20-22, 09:04 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
No offense, but someone that's been at it for 35 years, and still can't finish a century without a numb ass, is the last person that I'd take saddle advice from.
And how’s your ass feel after 5 hrs in the saddle?

I only do a couple centuries a year, maybe you ride the TDF?
Old 05-20-22, 09:30 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
When I first rode a road bike it was over 50 years ago, I rode in cutoffs and Jeepers.
You should look into adjusting the saddle or looking for a better fitting saddle.
WTH are Jeepers ???

Been wanting to bring up Sheldon's Wisdom again...
OP, this:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

Ride On
Yuri
Old 05-20-22, 11:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

I ride a century every Saturday about 8 months out of the year. I've never had butt pain or numbness. I don't think numbness is normal and would indicate something is wrong with your setup.

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-20-22 at 11:53 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-21-22, 12:17 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
It takes time to HTFU and you can lose it fast too. Some people never build up the mileage either. Don’t be ashamed to take some comfort in the meantime. Hurting yourself is macho but not actually beneficial to your heart or lungs or muscles. Try cycling shorts or softer saddles or cutout saddles. A wide saddle isn’t going to help as you sit on a narrower part of your sit bones when you lean forward

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-21-22 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-21-22, 04:10 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
I didn't take from the OP that his pain was in the keister. I assumed it was more frontal.

Old 05-21-22, 05:53 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
If you ride a hybrid now without bike shorts and without pain, I think it is more about the saddle setup or the saddle itself.

As you bend over more to lower handlebars you are going to compress things. I have found that saddle tilt, and the right saddle, is pretty important on a road bike, at least for me. But too much downward nose tilt can put too much weight on wrists and shoulders.

Years ago, no one made cut-out saddles and few had channels. Brooks was, and still is for some, the saddle of choice to conform to your shape. Today saddles are designed to reduce perineal pain.

John
Old 05-21-22, 05:57 AM
WhyFi

I typically only ride 5,000-7,000 miles per, but I usually do a fair number of 80+ mile rides. My ass feels fine, even after 120+.

For me, the worst isn't long rides at a hard pace, but when I'm accompanying someone that's riding at a slower pace - less pressure on the pedals, more weight on the ass. Even so, that's only a mild discomfort after 6+ hours.

As mentioned above, what you're describing indicates something not right.
Old 05-21-22, 06:03 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Padded shorts will help with the contact points in your butt, but you really shouldn't be experiencing discomfort in your scrotum or penis. I would guess the bikes you have tried have not had the saddles adjusted to where you need them.
Agreed. I rode from Michigan to Seattle to SFO in cutoff jeans and tighty whities. Bike shorts are much better, but not necessary for comfort. And of course even with bike shorts it does take some time to "toughen up."
Old 05-21-22, 06:44 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 68 Posts

your pain comes after just trying several ​​​​​road bikes? How far did you go on these?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.