Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Lost 103 Lbs and not done yet

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Lost 103 Lbs and not done yet

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-22, 09:15 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Don't forget that your body is losing muscular strength every year as you grow older and you need to be sure to have strengthening exercises in your regimen. Particularly upper body strengthening, and stretching for your entire body. It's not all about losing weight. But congratulations are in order.

Last edited by gobicycling; 06-02-22 at 09:20 AM.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 06-02-22, 09:32 AM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Bikes: Specialized Roll 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
Don't forget that your body is losing muscular strength every year as you grow older and you need to be sure to have strengthening exercises in your regimen. It's not all about losing weight. But congratulations are in order.
Yes, in March on my last doctor's visit he told me that to make sure I work my muscle groups, especially my legs. He explained that I am at the point where any additional weight loss will be muscle loss if I don't start upping my strength training.

My Roll 2.0 bike is certainly working my legs. And I have turned my large living room into a home gym with a bench, an old Health Rider a friend gave me. I have plenty of weight plates and prefer using dumbbells. I have a gym membership as well.

My main goal now is to get down to a size 30 waist. I'm currently wearing 32.
Old 06-02-22, 10:17 AM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Originally Posted by Biker395
So I'm curious ... what advice would you give to someone else in the same position you were in? I know everyone is different and there is no magic bullet ... just wondering what you think.
My advice would be to accept the following quotes from a book on weight loss as gospel. It was written in the '90s by Philip Lipetz Ph.D. Titled, The Good Calorie Diet.

".. the problem is not that you eat too much, but that you make too much fat from what you do eat"

"The problem is not that you burn too little fat, but that you make too much fat"
So imo, it's all about the glycemic index and glycemic load of the foods we eat. Accept that, do the research to identify acceptable foods, and realize that those foods are all we can eat for the rest of our life.

And of course have a doctor follow your progress. Blood work, etc.
Likes For Charlie Ky:
Old 06-02-22, 11:49 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Ky
One thing I tried was taking Berberine with my metaformin. After a couple of days doing so My bg numbers went down even on low glycemic load meals. I was taking 500 mg of metformin three times a day. The past week I've been taking only 250 mg of metformin three times a day and a berberine capsule with the metaformin if I eat a higher carb food like black beans. So far so good. I think beginning today I will taper off the metaformin and continue to take the berberine twice a day.
Congrats on an amazing accomplishment.

I have not heard much about berberine. Is anybody else here taking it? Experience? Side effects? Supposedly it can cause gastrointestinal discomfort?
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 06-02-22, 12:02 PM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Congrats on an amazing accomplishment.

I have not heard much about berberine. Is anybody else here taking it? Experience? Side effects? Supposedly it can cause gastrointestinal discomfort?
No side effects I've noticed. I take it before a meal. Never taken it between meals.

ETA : pricing is all over the place on Berberine. I look for made in US and 95% standardized... costs more but I fork it out.

Last edited by Charlie Ky; 06-02-22 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-02-22, 07:07 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Extremely interesting. Good stuff.

Several years ago I lost some additional weight thinking it would help me on all the long hilly rides I was doing. It certainly helped my power to weight ratio. I had already lost 60 lbs but I lost even more where I was close to my weight some 30 years prior in college. My experience was that after 4-5-6 hours on the bike my endurance wasn’t nearly as good as it was before I’d lost those additional pounds. My overall times were slower with the reduced weight as my energy levels seemed to fall off. So I put back on 4-5 pounds and all was good for me. I didn’t do any research but just went with my own personal results.

Have you done any “lengthy” endurance activities to know how you’d fare after several hours? Obviously it would be better than before you’d lost all your weight. Just wondering from your research what your thoughts might be on fueling for sustained activities with effort.
Old 06-02-22, 07:14 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Congratulations that’s incredible great sticktoitivness!
Likes For Bogey Speedwell:
Old 06-05-22, 06:27 AM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Out-Freakin-Śtanding!
Likes For fat biker:
Old 06-05-22, 09:09 AM
FrankRuss
FR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fantastic achievement.
Likes For FrankRuss:
Old 06-07-22, 08:35 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Glad I opened this thread. Very inspiring. Your comments about food is something I should pursue.
Likes For LeeG:
Old 06-16-22, 04:10 PM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Originally Posted by jppe
Extremely interesting. Good stuff.

Have you done any “lengthy” endurance activities to know how you’d fare after several hours? Obviously it would be better than before you’d lost all your weight. Just wondering from your research what your thoughts might be on fueling for sustained activities with effort.
Sorry for the slow reply. I'm a noob to cycling, other than riding an old Schwinn cruiser around the neighborhood for a couple of years. I just bought a Specialized Roll 2.0 a few weeks ago and have been riding an hour to an hour and a half a day on days it's not raining or too hot as it's been for the past 4 days.

So I can't help with any sort of advice regarding endurance training or diet for it. I just ride for aerobic fat burning

I will say it's melting my visceral fat away slowly. And my leg strength is increasing. The hills in a local park are getting easier.

But I haven't changed anything in my diet. My body kind of let's me know if I'm not getting enough carbs and the scale lets me know if I'm getting too many lol.

​​​​​​I may buy a road bike in the fall for longer rides. At that point I'll look into nutrition as it applies to endurance training.
Old 06-16-22, 04:23 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
awesome !!
Likes For DMC707:
Old 06-16-22, 04:30 PM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Originally Posted by DMC707
awesome !!
That's how I feel today. When I started I was miserable. Was probably in life's final furlong. All my family members who had type II diabetes and we're obese died in their 50's and 60's. I'm shooting for at least 75 minimum.

Plus, women are flirting with me these days !