Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front derailleur rub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Front derailleur rub

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-22, 06:27 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Front derailleur rub

Wondering if this is normal or needs adjustment.

Just got a new Topstone with 2x11 GRX components. While I’m aware of cross chaining, it appears I can only run about 2/3’s of the cogs with the chainring on the same respective side before the chain rubs on the derailleur. I do get it on both sides of the derailleur so I’m not sure it’s out of adjustment. Seems if I adjusted it a bit to prevent the rub on one side I would increase it on the other(ps obviously not a mechanic), and honestly the shifting itself seems pretty spot on.

I’ve only got probably 75 miles on this bike and it’s my first drop bar bike in 30 years, so essentially I’m a “brifter” virgin. The LBS I bought this from is a small 1 man shop who has been around for 10-15 years, but he is a newer Cannondale dealer, and honestly probably spends most his time in the more economical range components. While I’m pretty confident in his abilities in setting these up, just would like some second thoughts.
Old 07-17-22, 06:41 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,564 Times in 729 Posts
Does the left shifter have, what I'll call, a "trim click"?

On my 2x10 Shimano road brifters, I can click the shifter a little bit to trim the front derailleur to avoid the interference. One of the combos still cross chains, but the trim feature allows all the other gears.

Coming from downtube shifters, the trim clicking took some practice. Hard to explain the feel but I'll call it a softer half push on the lever.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 07-17-22 at 07:54 AM.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 07-17-22, 07:09 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
This is the answer. GRX shifters have a trim function which allows the front derailleur to slightly move to avoid chain rub when cross chained. I have it on my GRX 2 x 11 setup and it works perfectly
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 07-17-22, 07:48 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Originally Posted by BTinNYC

On my 2x10 Shimano road brifters, I can click the shifter a little bit to trim the front derailleur to avoid the interference. Big front to small rear still cross chains, but the trim feature allows all the other gears.

Coming from downtube shifters, the trim clicking took some practice. Hard to explain the feel but I'll call it a softer half push on the lever.
Originally Posted by alcjphil
This is the answer. GRX shifters have a trim function which allows the front derailleur to slightly move to avoid chain rub when cross chained. I have it on my GRX 2 x 11 setup and it works perfectly
….. that moment in your life where the light bulb illuminated with help from others and you go from being a little concerned to excited again.

thanks!!!
Old 07-17-22, 09:23 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I'll just throw this in here due to what I see all the time. The GRX front derailleur is a new(er) design, it's called a toggle link derailleur. I see them come in to the shop all the time and I'd have to guess about 80-90% of them are set up incorrectly. If your shop guy is like the majority and doesn't pay attention to manuals for 'new' stuff there's a really good chance that derailleur isn't adjusted properly. It might just be a trim click that will sort you out, but be aware that these derailleurs are totally different from any other front derailleur ever made and they need to be set up according to a very specific set of instructions.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-17-22, 02:44 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Originally Posted by cxwrench
I'll just throw this in here due to what I see all the time. The GRX front derailleur is a new(er) design, it's called a toggle link derailleur. I see them come in to the shop all the time and I'd have to guess about 80-90% of them are set up incorrectly. If your shop guy is like the majority and doesn't pay attention to manuals for 'new' stuff there's a really good chance that derailleur isn't adjusted properly. It might just be a trim click that will sort you out, but be aware that these derailleurs are totally different from any other front derailleur ever made and they need to be set up according to a very specific set of instructions.
Got to ride it this afternoon, just less than 15 miles but in the Driftless region of Wisconsin, so there were many hills and much shifting. The trim click solved the issue, and it silenced the rub every time.

That being said, can I assume he did set it up correctly? Or is there something else that I should be aware of?
Old 07-17-22, 04:49 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 430 Posts
A friend bought a new bike with a similar FD. He also complained about minor shifting problems. Then he found this on-line resource and adjusted it himself. He was real happy with it, said it was easy. Start from scratch, follow it step-by-step, and you may get a similar result.

The FD on my gravel bike is an older tech, has a trim position, and with careful adjustment I don't need it.
Old 07-17-22, 05:09 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
A friend bought a new bike with a similar FD. He also complained about minor shifting problems. Then he found this on-line resource and adjusted it himself. He was real happy with it, said it was easy. Start from scratch, follow it step-by-step, and you may get a similar result.

The FD on my gravel bike is an older tech, has a trim position, and with careful adjustment I don't need it.
Perfect, thanks that looks like a valuable resource for sure.