Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tires for Paved, Clear Roads

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-22, 09:38 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

I’m planning to ride my Surly Cross Check in the winter. I have a good, handbuilt wheelset with RH Barlow Pass 38mm (tubed), and an inexpensive Alex wheelset with WTB Venture 40mm (tubeless).

I live outside Toronto. We have proper winter but usually I can ride 1-2x a week throughout winter on roads that are free of snow/ice.

I’m thinking of using the Ventures because of the tread pattern and how it’s better in uncertain conditions than the Rene Herse, and it’s tubeless, and the wheels can take abuse without fuss by me.
Old 07-10-22, 09:26 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...mium-700c-tire
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 07-14-22, 08:52 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
If the roads are truly ice/snow free, you can do pretty much whatever you want.

If there are occasional ice patches and you don't want to be riding studs for the other 98% of the ride, then the key consideration is keeping your tire pressure low, particularly for the front wheel.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 07-25-22, 07:20 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Here in the PNW, I ride on wet roads a lot and try not to ride when there's a chance of ice in the tree shadows. I ride Conti 5000 tires which hold very well in the wet. Of course I ride the same tires year 'round. Simple.
Old 07-26-22, 08:28 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I have studded tires and ride them all over the place. Sometimes the bike lanes are cleared of ice and snow sometimes they have clumps of them.The MUPs are not maintained in the winter.
Old 07-31-22, 10:02 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I’m planning to ride my Surly Cross Check in the winter. I have a good, handbuilt wheelset with RH Barlow Pass 38mm (tubed), and an inexpensive Alex wheelset with WTB Venture 40mm (tubeless).

I live outside Toronto. We have proper winter but usually I can ride 1-2x a week throughout winter on roads that are free of snow/ice.

I’m thinking of using the Ventures because of the tread pattern and how it’s better in uncertain conditions than the Rene Herse, and it’s tubeless, and the wheels can take abuse without fuss by me.
Why not just buy winter tires to handle uncertain conditions ?..
Old 09-27-22, 02:58 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I have studded tires and ride them all over the place. Sometimes the bike lanes are cleared of ice and snow sometimes they have clumps of them.The MUPs are not maintained in the winter.
I didn't know you could run studded bike tires in TO. But they won't last long on asphalt?? Since most of my riding will be bike trails and bike lanes.