Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Weight listing shimano deore m4100 2x10

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 07-29-22, 02:25 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 100 Posts

as the tittle sais , can anyone have or know any source regarding the single parts (or the total) regarding the shimano deore m4100 2x10?
i'm currently planning to replace my group set (currently i'm using this shimano m4100) with one more light weight but since i can't find any information i can't compare them.

thanks
Old 07-29-22, 04:35 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The major weight differences between groupset levels is the crank arms and cassette.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-29-22, 09:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
What are you looking for weight wise? If you want a new gruppo go for it forget the weight unless you are truly doing a weight weenie build but in the end you have a bike with Deore so it is probably not a light frame with light wheels so not a great candidate for a weight weenie build but could be a fine candidate for upgrade on parts which will feel great and if they weigh a little less or a little more great probably won't matter at all.
Old 07-30-22, 06:12 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Do you have a kitchen scale?

Otherwise, have you tried simply Googling “[part description] + weight”? That should link you to a lot of info. I just Googled “Deore 4100 cassette weight” and found a lot of answers.

Replacing that group set solely for weight savings is going to be an expensive way to save weight.

If you plan on staying 2x10, You might be better off just replacing the cassette (and maybe the crank) as that is a wear item that can be pretty heavy. However, You’ll have to see what is actually available out there, as supplies have been limited lately. Higher end cassettes usually are available for longer than the rest of the drive train components of a particular group, as these are wear items.

Also, 10 speeds mtb cassettes are all pretty much interchangeable, just make sure the largest cog is not too big for your RD.

Same with 2x MTB cranks.

My point here being that you don’t need to stick to any particular “groupset”. You can do a lot of mixing and matching, and many stock builds come this way. Sticking with entire group sets seems to be more of a roadie thing.

One exception to this is shifters and derailleurs. There are limitations on which ones work with which.

All that said, I would caution spending money just to shave some weight off of a drivetrain. There are almost always better uses for your upgrade dollars. OTOH, If you were already needing to replace the cassette, chain, and rings, then it could make some sense to look at lighter/nicer options.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-30-22, 12:14 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 100 Posts
Yeah, my bike is not that light. And since the drivetrain someday should be replaced anyways for the wear itself I'm planning to swap with something more light.