Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.3

Old 08-15-22, 12:58 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I have a FB account that I used to use when I employed people. I wanted to see what kind of person they were outside the interview and workplace. That was when FB was "the thing" and before all the old people adopted it. Now the only thing I do on it is follow the local Porsche club events and a DFW cycling group. I have two "friends" - my wife and daughter.

Used to have an Instagram page when I was more engaged in photography. That recently ended when I kept getting messages that it could not confirm that I am over age 12, and it shut down my account.
A large number of my friends switched to different names online to wipe that out.
Old 08-15-22, 01:01 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Some of mrs datlas' fellow painters are telling her she needs an instragram presence to sell her paintings.

I am quite skeptical, but wtf do I know about the arts and social media?
Old 08-15-22, 01:06 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
A large number of my friends switched to different names online to wipe that out.
I view it differently in the professional world versus corporate world. My firms have traditionally represented a lot of different types of people, and it is fair to see what people are posting online. I had one lawyer that started posting a lot of anti-gay and other far right postings on FB, and I had to tell him to shut it down if he wanted to remain employed. It was an affront to the clients. I don't want any client or prospective client judging my firm based on someone's online postings.

Also, since we have some very strict confidentiality requirements with respect to our clients' affairs, I thought it was fair to see how lose lipped people were.

I don't have employees anymore so I don't have to worry about it anymore.
Old 08-15-22, 01:07 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Some of mrs datlas' fellow painters are telling her she needs an instragram presence to sell her paintings.

I am quite skeptical, but wtf do I know about the arts and social media?
What's their success like?

It can certainly be a good platform for sellers - I follow quite a few accounts that align with my hobbies - and, as far as social media is concerned, IG tends to be significantly less toxic than FB. I would still make an effort to divorce the biz IG account from any personal... stuff.
Old 08-15-22, 01:13 PM
WhyFi

I'm looking around for Rapha deals because.... well, because... and I'm surprised to see that Harrod's carries some Rapha gear. Also, their photography is occasionally LOL - I mean, at least give the guy a proper base layer.

Old 08-15-22, 01:15 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by WhyFi
What's their success like?

It can certainly be a good platform for sellers - I follow quite a few accounts that align with my hobbies - and, as far as social media is concerned, IG tends to be significantly less toxic than FB. I would still make an effort to divorce the biz IG account from any personal... stuff.
I have no idea. I suspect they might be more serious painters than mrs datlas. I don't mind if she wants to explore this, but it's all a black box to me.
Old 08-15-22, 01:24 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I never posted this before because I avoid A&S stories like the plague. But, I was hit a few weeks ago while riding on a local 55 mph county highway with a 6' paved shoulder. According to a witness, I was so far tho the right of the paved shoulder that I was barely on the pavement. The mirror of a pickup hit my left shoulder blade and catapulted me into the ditch. The driver didn't stop and the witness couldn't get the plate number.

Anyway, bike is fine and I'm ok except that I have a slight pain in my left shoulder where I was hit when I get tired like over 40 miles.

Be safe out there.
Glad you’re okay! I nearly got taken out by a close pass on Sunday. Rider behind me thought I was a wenter. Remember, it’s only going to get worse after Labor Day.
Old 08-15-22, 01:33 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

I'm looking around for Rapha deals because.... well, because... and I'm surprised to see that Harrod's carries some Rapha gear. Also, their photography is occasionally LOL - I mean, at least give the guy a proper base layer.

Is this related to The Great Bib Short Search I have heard about??
Old 08-15-22, 01:34 PM
Mojo31
-------

I've seen that look before. Have never sported it though.

The times I've seen it, the cyclists were on beach cruiser/relaxed hybrid type bikes with knee high, typically black, socks.
Old 08-15-22, 01:35 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Glad you’re okay! I nearly got taken out by a close pass on Sunday. Rider behind me thought I was a wenter. Remember, it’s only going to get worse after Labor Day.
What changes after labor day?

Other than temps drop from 100+ to merely 95.
Old 08-15-22, 01:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,852 Times in 6,069 Posts
I have a lot of family members on FB - all 5 siblings, a number of cousins, etc. Also some friends from High School and College. I tend to post political stuff there, and I have been unfriended by some because of it, but honestly I don't really miss those 'friends'. So I don't argue politics there since anyone who disagreed either ignores or unfriends, and most of my family are even more liberal than I am. Years ago I spent a lot of time arguing politics on the "Community" subforum of an archery and bowhunting forum, but that changed from "pointed but friendly" with a few more extreme to being all extreme and thus, no fun at all. It's fun for me, having that kind of discussion with folks you could drink a beer with IRL, but that all changed around 2008-2009.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-15-22, 01:41 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by datlas
Is this related to The Great Bib Short Search I have heard about??
Oh, I'm not searching for the right bibs for me - I already know what I want and like - the Pro Team bibs are awesome. I'm just looking for a decent deal to go with the new jersey (and to hold me over until Rapha repairs my kit that was torn up).
Old 08-15-22, 01:44 PM
MoAlpha
• —

What changes after labor day?

Other than temps drop from 100+ to merely 95.
All the dickheads come back from the beach.
Old 08-15-22, 01:45 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8260 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Rider behind me thought I was a wenter.
Is that a Cisco Kid reference? A guy I used to ride with liked to say "Let's went".
Old 08-15-22, 01:48 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by big john
Is that a Cisco Kid reference? A guy I used to ride with liked to say "Let's went".
I don’t really remember, but my feeling is I got that from a R. Crumb comic WBITD.

I guess “wend” is the proper present tense.
Old 08-15-22, 01:59 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8260 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I have a lot of family members on FB - all 5 siblings, a number of cousins, etc. Also some friends from High School and College. I tend to post political stuff there, and I have been unfriended by some because of it, but honestly I don't really miss those 'friends'. So I don't argue politics there since anyone who disagreed either ignores or unfriends, and most of my family are even more liberal than I am. Years ago I spent a lot of time arguing politics on the "Community" subforum of an archery and bowhunting forum, but that changed from "pointed but friendly" with a few more extreme to being all extreme and thus, no fun at all. It's fun for me, having that kind of discussion with folks you could drink a beer with IRL, but that all changed around 2008-2009.
I stopped arguing politics on FB after the last election, (mostly). It gets tiring looking up documents and articles to show people who don't care about the facts.

If you really want to see the nut jobs come out of the woodwork go to a politically charged article on Yahoo news and correct some dimwit in the comment section. I did this a couple times and the responses come to your e-mail and some of them are incredible. Actually, they're not incredible, they're just what you'd expect from misinformed, uneducated morons.

I'm going to avoid engaging with these cretins if I can restrain myself.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-15-22, 02:01 PM
Mojo31
-------

All the dickheads come back from the beach.
Not a problem here. The dickheads never leave.
Old 08-15-22, 02:02 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Was he a friend of yours??

Likes For datlas:
Old 08-15-22, 02:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I stopped arguing politics on FB after the last election, (mostly). It gets tiring looking up documents and articles to show people who don't care about the facts.

If you really want to see the nut jobs come out of the woodwork go to a politically charged article on Yahoo news and correct some dimwit in the comment section. I did this a couple times and the responses come to your e-mail and some of them are incredible. Actually, they're not incredible, they're just what you'd expect from misinformed, uneducated morons.

I miss being able to discuss things with people who actually care about evidence, and principle.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-15-22, 02:03 PM
Mojo31
-------

It amazes me just how stupid people can be.

That probably includes me from time-to-time.
Old 08-15-22, 02:04 PM
Mojo31
-------

I miss being able to discuss things with people who actually care about evidence, and principle.
Do you know people like that?
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-15-22, 02:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I gotta say, when we move from the Bay Area, I will probably really miss the polite, respectful drivers. Oh, I know that some riders around here think it's bad, but that's probably because they've only ever ridden here. I can't recall the last time I had a close pass.

Old 08-15-22, 02:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Do you know people like that?
I used to. I could post actual data and they'd engage with it. For a long time, I thought we all just wanted pretty much the same thing, but had different ways of getting to it. Some of them changed, and more of them were driven off by the more extreme folks, who also became more numerous.

Old 08-15-22, 02:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

It amazes me just how stupid people can be.

That probably includes me from time-to-time.
It can be astonishing to watch someone who is otherwise very much driven by logic, reason, and evidence go completely off the rails and start making the same kind of arguments that, in another context, they have ridiculed.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-15-22, 02:18 PM
Mojo31
-------

I used to. I could post actual data and they'd engage with it. For a long time, I thought we all just wanted pretty much the same thing, but had different ways of getting to it. Some of them changed, and more of them were driven off by the more extreme folks, who also became more numerous.
We are friends with one couple that we can talk politics with. We don't always agree on everything, but we can certainly respect their opinions.

I also have one lawyer friend that I can talk politics with. He's a little bit more "right" than I am, but he's not a whack job.

Other than that, I'm afraid to even broach the subject. Too many have jumped on the far-right bandwagon without really thinking about the consequences or the fact that it just doesn't benefit them to do so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.